Die to Live (*Tender Surrender) & Hendrix at Woodstock

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
pjaydee

Hi Guys,

Just watching Jimi Hendrix live at woodstock on DVD tonight, theres an improvised piece on there i think its called Woodstock Improvisation? Listening to it reminded me very much in part to Die to Live....i wonder did Steve realise this...some of the arrangement is uncanny...and other bits very subtle. Knowing Steve is a massive Hendrix fan (arent we all) did he take the woodstock improvisation as inspiration for Die to Live...or is it purely genius coincidence?

I realise they are very different but i can definatly here the similarity for myself....

Hmmm interesting!
Last edited by pjaydee on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I think you mean Tender Surrender, not Die To Live.

Tender Surrender shares a very similar opening riff to Hendrix's 'Villanova Junction Blues".

The similarity was not intentional by Steve. Tender Surrender also bears small resemblance to a Santana song called "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)". He may have unconsciously been inspired by both.

Mikey
vai.com
pjaydee

Thanks for the correction Mikey i meant to say Tender Surrender and yes it was "Villanova Junction Blues" (just checked the DVD track listing)...yes its quite amazing that, inspiration indeed. :D
Symphon

Mikey wrote:I think you mean Tender Surrender, not Die To Live.

Tender Surrender shares a very similar opening riff to Hendrix's 'Villanova Junction Blues".

The similarity was not intentional by Steve. Tender Surrender also bears small resemblance to a Santana song called "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)". He may have unconsciously been inspired by both.

Mikey
vai.com
Europa is a great Santana song.. probably my favourite. and now you've said that i can really here the resemblance
GuitarStrings

... and the song "Alive In An Ultra World" certainly inspired by Jimi Hendrix-style singing along with guitar soloing. Listen to the beginning of it, reminds you of Little Wings. :)