Real Illusions II

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian2000

#16 Post by lydian2000 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 am

SoundCurrents32 wrote:
27 wrote:Satch is not the main blame for this, however, for his producer has held back a few creative songs that went over his head. I thought the album was alright, a little bland, but I'm sure Satch is far from over as far as new material is concerned.
I met Satch the other week, and he said that he "feels sorry" for all of his albums (semi-jokingly, of course). He said it was because as soon as he feels he's beginning to get somewhere with a song, it's instantly taken away from him, mixed, and sold. The only way he can continue to develop his songs is in live concerts, but this is obviously after the record has been released.

"My vision? These records aren't my vision at all!" he said. "They're the basis of something, but certainly not what I want them to ultimately be!" (or words to that effect; I can't remember exactly).

I guess this is a big problem of record companies demanding albums.
That's very interesting and reassuring in a way, because when I listened to his last two(three? four?) albums I kept but wondering "is he actually aware of what he's putting out there? overproduced jam tracks?"

And although I doubt joe would (alas) even consider moving to favoured nations(pride...?) it could be an excellent solution.

And I have nothing to base my assumption on either, just a random feeling.
Last edited by lydian2000 on Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#17 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm

hmm... that thing about mr Satriani is interesting indeed!

I hope he will do an album within a few years where he DOES get the opportunity to do whatever HE wants on the album...

Cross fingers I guess

Shred On :guitar

lydian7

#18 Post by lydian7 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:58 am

Svelt Pen wrote: I had a feeling that's the way he felt...I think he must have signed a lengthy contract years ago that obligates him to put out a record every year for several years, but he's regretting it now
What, you mean the same contract with Sony that permitted him a four year gap between FIABD and The Extremist (1989-93), then another three year gap between that and Joe Satriani (93-95), then another three year gap between that Crystal Planet?

Everything after Engines of Creation has just been rushed and lacklustre. If I were to travel back in time to the 80s or 90s and give myself a copy of one of Satchs post-EOC albums, then I think I'd have serious difficulty believing it was produced by the same person. The difference in quality of the compositions are just startling. Every album I hope that he will return to form and every album I'm let down.

Oh well, at least Steve still stays true to his artistic vision, and that's a comforting thought.

Bono

#19 Post by Bono » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:53 am

It's strange...there's an itunes exclusive track from Satch's new album called 'Ghost', which most people heard for the first time when he toured. Funny thing is, it's probably the best track off the whole album.

bennyvx78

#20 Post by bennyvx78 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:00 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:

Maybe so , but super colossal was a cool album man.
But steve does make great albums ..

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#21 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 am

bennyvx78 wrote:
Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:

Maybe so , but super colossal was a cool album man.
But steve does make great albums ..
For me super colossal just didn't work
The last album I just about enjoyed was Is there Love in Space?... and before that Crystal Planet (wich was actually just about the last truly masterpiece from mr Satriani)

But keep in mind... this is my opinion :wink:

#22 Post by 27 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:03 am

You didn't like EoC? I think that's the last album Satch made before, as lydian2000 said, he started releasing overproduced jam tracks.

Instrumentalrockrocks

#23 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 am

27 wrote:You didn't like EoC?
Sorry forgot that one... I liked everything mr Satriani did from the beginning and on to Live in San Fransisco... after that (his last masterpiece of live recording too) it became pretty much like you said:
he started releasing overproduced jam tracks.

BadHorsie777

#24 Post by BadHorsie777 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:44 am

personally, I dont like the newer satch stuff (super colassal and that new album)

granted, I have a few good songs from them on my ipod, but i thnk his sound really has taken a toll. It justed to be very distored and treble-ly. now it has WAY to much middle and not enuff gain. And yes, alot of the new satch stuff is mostly jam.

But i still love his early stuff. AMAZING!!

lydian7

#25 Post by lydian7 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 am

Bono wrote:It's strange...there's an itunes exclusive track from Satch's new album called 'Ghost', which most people heard for the first time when he toured. Funny thing is, it's probably the best track off the whole album.
I can't understand why he does that! He did that with Turkey Man from the Engines of Creation bonus EP, Additional Creations. I feel Turkey Man was (or more correctly, would have been) the best track from EOC.

Naffis-kun

#26 Post by Naffis-kun » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 am

It feels like I've been waiting for RI 2 for ages :D.
I wants it!
Well, at least there's always Devin Townsend who releases a new epic every year so there's something I can listen to.

Kilar

#27 Post by Kilar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 pm

Naffis-kun wrote:It feels like I've been waiting for RI 2 for ages :D.
I wants it!
Well, at least there's always Devin Townsend who releases a new epic every year so there's something I can listen to.
Yeah, but Devin's kinda gone into semi retired producer mode... It looks like it'll be a while before any stuff from him surfaces unfortunantly.

Oh Ziltoid, where for art thou Ziltoid?