Real Illusions II

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Message
Author
User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

Real Illusions II

#1 Post by lydian7 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:55 am

I know it's a little premature to be talking about RI:2 considering Steve's busy schedule at the moment, but it is coming up to four years now since RI was release and I was wondering when Steve was going to return back to work on the second part of his magnum opus. I remember when RI came out and Steve said he was going to try to bring out an album every two years rather than leaving in for five or six years like he has done in the past. Then again, I suppose perfection comes at a price.

Splish
Member
Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 am

#2 Post by Splish » Mon May 26, 2008 10:04 am

I agree.. RI is by far my favourite album by Steve, and I am disapointed in a way that he isn't working on it as a priority. That said, everything else that he's promised us does sound brilliant, so like you say Lydian7, perfection comes at a price.

User avatar
New-Clear
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Bristol

#3 Post by New-Clear » Mon May 26, 2008 11:19 am

Thats the thing about inspiration, you can't force it, you must wait for the muse to descend (is it were ;))

User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#4 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Tue May 27, 2008 1:44 am

Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:


Shred On :guitar

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

#5 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue May 27, 2008 2:01 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:


Shred On :guitar
Need anyone say anymore? Spot on.

teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Singapore

#6 Post by teokiatuan » Tue May 27, 2008 2:42 am

wow dude slow down man,sound theories just came out last year, that was awesome!

everything steve releases is gold man.. wait for it.. at least there'll be a concert dvd later this year to keep us happy eh. not so sure about RI2.

User avatar
llamahead
Member
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: rio rancho, new mexico
Contact:

#7 Post by llamahead » Tue May 27, 2008 8:18 am

randomnessman wrote:wow dude slow down man,sound theories just came out last year, that was awesome!

everything steve releases is gold man.. wait for it.. at least there'll be a concert dvd later this year to keep us happy eh. not so sure about RI2.
i think everybody is referring to new material. because none of sound theories was new material. well, most of it wasn't new

pataman
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:06 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

#8 Post by pataman » Tue May 27, 2008 11:36 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:


Shred On :guitar
hmm i dont think thats true. Personally super colossal is one of my favprite satch albums. This new one isnt to bad either in my opinion. it may not be a masterpiece but i am not dissapointed at all.

User avatar
27
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:07 pm

#9 Post by 27 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:32 pm

Most people were severely disappointed with Satch's new album, including myself. I hate to say it because I absolutely love RI:R and I'm really, really anxious to hear RI 2, but I can wait a few years if that's what it takes to perfect it. Steve can take his time. I can't wait to see what he does next, but he does have a family, and a lot of irons in the fire. The last thing I want is for Steve to release a mediocre album ever two years, like Satch seems to have got into habit of.

TheOtnip
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

#10 Post by TheOtnip » Tue May 27, 2008 7:04 pm

27 wrote:Most people were severely disappointed with Satch's new album, including myself. I hate to say it because I absolutely love RI:R and I'm really, really anxious to hear RI 2, but I can wait a few years if that's what it takes to perfect it. Steve can take his time. I can't wait to see what he does next, but he does have a family, and a lot of irons in the fire. The last thing I want is for Steve to release a mediocre album ever two years, like Satch seems to have got into habit of.
Satch is not the main blame for this, however, for his producer has held back a few creative songs that went over his head. I thought the album was alright, a little bland, but I'm sure Satch is far from over as far as new material is concerned.

Steve has got the time to do an album and do it right. I'm sure it's on his agenda, and I eagerly await the final RI where all three will combine to tell an amazing tale.

Until then, lets let the melodies and riffs and ideas marinate in Steve's noggin so he can enjoy life. :D

User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#11 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Thu May 29, 2008 11:15 am

pataman wrote:
Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Let us all remember the last few albums Satch made...
about one album every year wich everyone was dissapointed about

I'd rather wait for five years and have a masterpiece :wink:


Shred On :guitar
hmm i dont think thats true. Personally super colossal is one of my favprite satch albums. This new one isnt to bad either in my opinion. it may not be a masterpiece but i am not dissapointed at all.
well not everyone was dissapointed... but most of us (on the vai forum that is)

Tough I have to add that I like 'Musterion' and 'Overdriver' but that is only 2 out of 10


Shred On :guitar

SoundCurrents32
Member
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

#12 Post by SoundCurrents32 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:29 am

27 wrote:Satch is not the main blame for this, however, for his producer has held back a few creative songs that went over his head. I thought the album was alright, a little bland, but I'm sure Satch is far from over as far as new material is concerned.
I met Satch the other week, and he said that he "feels sorry" for all of his albums (semi-jokingly, of course). He said it was because as soon as he feels he's beginning to get somewhere with a song, it's instantly taken away from him, mixed, and sold. The only way he can continue to develop his songs is in live concerts, but this is obviously after the record has been released.

"My vision? These records aren't my vision at all!" he said. "They're the basis of something, but certainly not what I want them to ultimately be!" (or words to that effect; I can't remember exactly).

I guess this is a big problem of record companies demanding albums.

Svelt Pen
Member
Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 pm

#13 Post by Svelt Pen » Fri May 30, 2008 6:07 am

SoundCurrents32 wrote:
27 wrote:Satch is not the main blame for this, however, for his producer has held back a few creative songs that went over his head. I thought the album was alright, a little bland, but I'm sure Satch is far from over as far as new material is concerned.
I met Satch the other week, and he said that he "feels sorry" for all of his albums (semi-jokingly, of course). He said it was because as soon as he feels he's beginning to get somewhere with a song, it's instantly taken away from him, mixed, and sold. The only way he can continue to develop his songs is in live concerts, but this is obviously after the record has been released.

"My vision? These records aren't my vision at all!" he said. "They're the basis of something, but certainly not what I want them to ultimately be!" (or words to that effect; I can't remember exactly).

I guess this is a big problem of record companies demanding albums.
I had a feeling that's the way he felt...I think he must have signed a lengthy contract years ago that obligates him to put out a record every year for several years, but he's regretting it now. What if Satch were to eventually break free of the contract and move over to Steve's label, or even start his own. I'm sure Steve would love to have Joe on Favored Nations. Three words - Total Artistic Freedom. Problem solved!

SoundCurrents32
Member
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

#14 Post by SoundCurrents32 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am

Svelt Pen wrote:I had a feeling that's the way he felt...I think he must have signed a lengthy contract years ago that obligates him to put out a record every year for several years, but he's regretting it now. What if Satch were to eventually break free of the contract and move over to Steve's label, or even start his own. I'm sure Steve would love to have Joe on Favored Nations. Three words - Total Artistic Freedom. Problem solved!
I doubt Joe would want to move to Favoured Nations, but I definately think he'd be much better off being like Vai in the respect of not having to 'deliver' to record companies and having - as you say - total artistic freedom. Don't get me wrong: Satch has put out two awesome records in the last few years with Super Colossal and Professor Satchafunkilus - but I think the results from a lengthy composition and recording process would be much better.

Svelt Pen
Member
Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 pm

#15 Post by Svelt Pen » Fri May 30, 2008 8:58 am

SoundCurrents32 wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:I had a feeling that's the way he felt...I think he must have signed a lengthy contract years ago that obligates him to put out a record every year for several years, but he's regretting it now. What if Satch were to eventually break free of the contract and move over to Steve's label, or even start his own. I'm sure Steve would love to have Joe on Favored Nations. Three words - Total Artistic Freedom. Problem solved!
I doubt Joe would want to move to Favoured Nations, but I definately think he'd be much better off being like Vai in the respect of not having to 'deliver' to record companies and having - as you say - total artistic freedom. Don't get me wrong: Satch has put out two awesome records in the last few years with Super Colossal and Professor Satchafunkilus - but I think the results from a lengthy composition and recording process would be much better.
Well, I think there are maybe 4 or 5 gems from the two records combined, but I definitely wouldn't call those albums awesome, IMO. The general concensus is of disappointment in his recent efforts, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :wink:

Post Reply