New Album Sound

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
John

Mikey - I was wondering (not sure if you're supposed let any info out about this, I'll give it a shot anyway... :P ) how similar are the instrumental album and the musical going to be as far as the overall vibe and production? (based on what you've heard...)
The fact that some (most?) of the songs on the instrumental were originally gonna be in the musical suggest that there should be similarities, am I wrong?
lydianguy
Newcomer

RAI wrote:Steve's voice isn't the strongest, but at least the performance is 100% real and honest. I can see how Steve has a hard time giving that spot to someone else.
I think he's a great singer. All about eve is a tremendous singing showcase, as is the lydian 'west-side-story' inspired middle 8 section in Silent Within.

...anyway, anything's better than Townsend's effort on the 'Vai' album :roll:

I hope steve will stretch his 'orchestral arranging' brain-muscles on this up-and-coming stage show project. I've been waiting for it for years! And I hope the new album isn't just a few throw-away tracks from the stage-project, Steve owes it to himself to keep his name held high. I hope he does another Fire garden personally!

Mikey, does the new solo-album have a concept like fire garden?? :shock: (Please say it does!)
GuitarStrings

I think we should stop putting all these pressures on Steve by guessing and hoping how his new cd will sound like, that's not a good think for Steve to read... I just wait patientely for the release of the cd...
Axmanjr
Newcomer

I'm waiting :roll:
guyzif

GuitarStrings wrote:I think we should stop putting all these pressures on Steve by guessing and hoping how his new cd will sound like, that's not a good think for Steve to read... I just wait patientely for the release of the cd...

you are SO right my friend it will be great, i mean c'mon its steve so it's bound to be great!

on his singing, i think if you can carry a tune (and he can) then i think it's acceptable to sing. yes i'll admit i love his instrumentals way more than his singing but hey, music is about expression so express in any way you can. IF YOU CAN DO IT, DO IT!!
Kingofswing
Newcomer

To be honest folks I think it would be advisable to use a wider variety in tone for the album as alot of other artists album tracks sound the same its like listening to one big long song with all of the dynamics of a motorway (hiway).

Anyone agree/disagree?

Yes all well and good going heavy (Kill the Guy With The Ball cooool tune), I would like to hear a more diverse sound. Maybe even sound surround sound effects.

Ta for reading

Rich 8)
Xavier

Steve Vai is one of today's heaviest guitarists. Even so, it's not often that Steve busts out his 7-string Universe and bangs away until the strings go slack.

Is the song "Lighter Shade of Green," which is featured on the Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology, a sneak peak into his new album?
badasstommyboy

i'm just hoping he doesn't do a metallica and play nu-metal and start drumming on a tin of beans
jenarom

Xavier wrote:Is the song "Lighter Shade of Green," which is featured on the Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology, a sneak peak into his new album?
That song is from the album Vai did with Alcatrazz back in the 80's, so it's like 20 years old.
Mr. Canadian

New album out May-Aug 2004, still a bit of a wait and i'm starving for new Vai music..."It's going to be deep!"...............
guyzif

That's a long time to wait. It's starting to drive me Nuts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
JimiPuget
Newcomer

Nilsefix wrote:Hmmmm ,
I dont see Vai heavy ,, i see the heavy limit for vai is Alien love secrets .. not any heavier...

btw , i didnt like those two links with videos atall .. they sounded , well , not like vai at all .... Oh god , i hope its not some sort of "other side of vai" album.... hehe

maybe he starts rappin , and wear sweatpants and a cap , and the next album is nu-metal ..
oh god , what if that really happens :shock: :shock:

hehe
Nilsefix
:shock:
guyzif

Another passion and warfare would be really cool but whatever steve wants to do with his music is fine by me.
GuitarStrings

Xavier wrote:Steve Vai is one of today's heaviest guitarists. Even so, it's not often that Steve busts out his 7-string Universe and bangs away until the strings go slack.

Is the song "Lighter Shade of Green," which is featured on the Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology, a sneak peak into his new album?
Lighter Shade of Green is one from Alcatrazz - Disturbing the Peace album.
guyzif

Thats a great track.