New Album Sound

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Bingefeller

I have been wondering what everyone thinks, or has heard or read, that Steve's new album will sound like?

I think that it's probably gonna be a very heavy album - with all of this talk of him using octave splitters and down tuning. Hopefully it will be something along the lines of ALS!

Anyone know if Cliffs of Insanity is a good idea as to what Steve's latest stuff sounds like? I think that's a seriously great tune - reminds me of something that Trent Reznor would write if he was doing a heavy guitar piece!

Hope someone can give us all info!

V
markmcg

I agree, judging by the video clips that were posted on Vai.com a few months back

http://www.vai.com/updates/video/VAI_12112002_2.mpg

http://www.vai.com/updates/video/VAI_high12102002.mpg

I think the album is gonna be nice and heavy with some funky grooves.

Personally I can't wait!! :D

Cheers
Mark.
Nilsefix

Hmmmm ,
I dont see Vai heavy ,, i see the heavy limit for vai is Alien love secrets .. not any heavier...

btw , i didnt like those two links with videos atall .. they sounded , well , not like vai at all .... Oh god , i hope its not some sort of "other side of vai" album.... hehe

maybe he starts rappin , and wear sweatpants and a cap , and the next album is nu-metal ..
oh god , what if that really happens :shock: :shock:

hehe
Nilsefix
ATDVSBL
Newcomer

if he did a "nu metal" record, it would still be genius, its in his blood :)
bobsbus

Steve has covered a lot of ground musically. I think he has at least touched on most genres of music. I have to believe that “heavy” coming from Mr. Vai would be so much more than high-gain, drop-tuned clutter. I am looking forward to some heavier tunes. I say, pull out all the stops and run the gamete from idle to redline. Variety is such a joy.
mange

It seems like Vai is using a lotta different guitars (old and new), which I think is promising + a certain Billy Sheehan... Well, I believe this album is gonna rawk. 8)
Junebughunter

Sex and Religion is pretty heavy...those videos sounded like Vai to me...especially the second one. I CAN'T WAIT WOO HOO
GuitarSlinger

man those riffs sounded great really funky i would love to hear vai make a record like that just to show all those ppl out there the versitility of vais playing and styles
dont worry tho im sure we will hear the usuall amazing ballads,melodys great chops some crazy solo peice using the eventide and some more indian/chinesse influenced greatness like in ultra zone :lol:
Junebughunter

Keep in mind too, that when most people are recording they only record a reference track of either guitar/bass or both, and play to a metronome to make it easier for the drums to record. Drums usually being the first step...we shouldn't make any judgments on what it might sound like in the end
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

That's not entirely correct.

Steve often programs drums, records scratch bass and guitar, then has the drummer re-record the drums over a click-track, and the bass player re-record his bass parts. At least so far, that's how he's working on the new record.

As far as the video you have heard and seen with a 15 second snippet of the heavy track: You are listening to Jeremy recording the live drums. You can also hear the click track. The bass and guitar in that clip are both Steve, but Billy has now recorded bass for the track. I have some video of Billy recording the track and I'll try to post some once it's approved by Steve.

For people wondering how the record is shaping up, Steve played me an almost complete track the other day that I had not heard before. The track was heavy, with a lot of groove, and very very very cool :)

- Mikey

You lucky sod! You and your sneak previews.....hehe. that's cool.

I reckon it's going to be amazing. I'd like to hear Steve make something more out of the little ditty he wrung out for the Carvin Legacy demo......was quite a cool sounding tune. Almost the basis of a 7th song!

Can't wait, shame we gotta wait so long, but good things come to those who wait, right? That's why EJ's records have been so good the last few years.
FiRe CoNtRoL
Newcomer

I personally think that Steve has reached a point in his career that his hardcore fans wouldn't care if he released an album full of dribble, we would still buy it. (Notice how i've put myself into that catagory?) :D
But then come to think about it, He'd probably make an album full of dribble sound like genius!
Imperial Aerosol Kid
Newcomer

From what I've read, it sounds like it is going to be a concept album or rock opera, whatever you want to call it. Does anyone know anything more about this?
justcartilage

Hmmmm ,
I dont see Vai heavy ,, i see the heavy limit for vai is Alien love secrets .. not any heavier...

btw , i didnt like those two links with videos atall .. they sounded , well , not like vai at all .... Oh god , i hope its not some sort of "other side of vai" album.... hehe

maybe he starts rappin , and wear sweatpants and a cap , and the next album is nu-metal ..
oh god , what if that really happens
Guys I think we all just have to remember that Steve has never released anything that wasn't completely inspiring in one way or another. If you really look at it, a great deal had a pretty heavy edge to it. Of course not death metal heavy, but something my grandma sure wouldn't appreciate. :) Me personally, I believe the heavier the better and any heavy riff he's used was just too good ie Giant Balls Of Gold. The name says it all. Aside from heavy stuff tho, even the first time I listened to Ultra Zone I was so confused I was almost disappointed, but in no time it was my new favorite Vai album, then back to PAW, then to ALS, etc, etc, etc. It changes almost daily. They are all a huge inspiration and I don't think it's going to stop there.

Whatever it was, is, or will be, I think we all know deep down it's going to be another great chapter in the Vai saga.
Plook

I can tell you guys are very passionate about Steve's music.

I personally like EVERYTHING Steve does. He could make this album heavy and then his next album be all acoustic and I'd love it just as much.

There aren't too many artists I can say that about. Maybe Mike Keneally too.

I just hope he doesn't sing that much on the new album. I'm not saying he's a bad singer at all. I'm just saying he can say 100x's more with his guitar than his voice. [/list]