Fire Coma?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Desert_Runner

I've just been reading the fire coma stories
http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discog ... index.html

These are amazing! I know these experiences evolved into the album Fire Garden, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see these stories in an actual novel.

Another thought: Is this how Steve makes his albums? Because I know Real Illusions: Reflections has snippets of story in the sleeve notes, so I was wondering if Steve bases an album on a story, orchestrating scenes from it with his songs, or if he does it the other way round, inventing a story for the songs after he's written them based on what he sees when he listens to them.

By the way, I don't actually have Fire Garden, so don't tell me the stories are in the sleeve notes or whatever.
RAI

They're not......
New-Clear

I can seriously recommend getting this album if you don't have it. I love FireGarden, it's so full of the most diverse and beautiful tracks, from the abrupt agression of 'The mysterious murder' to the tenderness of 'Hand on Heart' and 'Warm Regards'. It was also the first album (I believe) where Steve Was lead singer.

Obviously, I guess that only Steve could tell you how this concept evolved, but the instroduction to that page states:

"The Fire Coma Stories
Uncovered fragments of the Fire Coma storyline written by Steve Vai that finally evolved into the concept behind the 1997 album Fire Garden..."

this seems to imply that the stories evolved into the music....

Steve really needs to write a book.
New-Clear

but that would take up valuable music writing time :)
RAI

I have suggested this to the man (to write a book), but he just thinks he has nothing important to write about. There are other people that do a much better job, and have something of value for others...

Hogwash, I say.
Steve, do it.
New-Clear

Clearly he's already a talented writer, the stories behing RI:R and Fire Garden are very well written and have great concepts behind them.

On another writerly comment, I would give my right eye for an autobiography... :)
RAI

Have you read the "Post Cards" section?
(if it's up, it was down for a long time)

Steve telling stories from his teenage years, for instance.
Sitting by myself, reading these stories, there were times I almost p*ssed my pants from laughing so hard....
If someone had walked in at that moment, they would have locked me up, that's for sure.

Steve is most certainly a talented writer, and I would love to read his stories, and an auto-biography would be awesome.
Symphon

Fire Garden suite is a must for any vai fan. It holds so much passion and beauty.
Zongadude

New-Clear wrote:I love FireGarden, (...) It was also the first album (I believe) where Steve Was lead singer.
Steve sang a great deal of lead vocal parts in his first two albums "Flex-able" and "Flex-able leftovers". He is also the lead singer of "Rescue me or bury me" from "Sex and religion".

I clearly remember that "Passion and warfare" was supposed to be a published novel also. (around the times of the album he stated it in numerous interviews). Eventually it never happened.

I give anything for a Vai novel. P&W, RI, Fire Garden, anything.
firestone

check out the story for whookam
Mike_Siravo

i read these stories a while ago. the one that stuck in my head (the pictures and images and the words that caused them) was The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tiera's Lover. this story is so demented and well written.

yesterday i heard a brutal story about a girl at my high school involving a maniac and some pretty gruesome abuse. then later that day there was a kid , also from my school, who 'jokingly' jumped out from behind a door with a knife to scare my brother and his friend. then towards the end of the school day he said he had a dream that he came into school and just shot everyone. of course parents raised hell when they heard.

but i just kept thinking about how demented some people are. and suddenly this story kept coming to mind. i kept hearing the kid laughing like the maniac in Steve's story. i kept picturing the man hurting that girl to look like the man in Steve's story. so i read it again and i must say it's more demented than i remember. if he weren't such a genius and this wasn't for musical purposes i'd suspect some serious mental issues :lol: .

anyway i just wanted to say great job on all those stories Steve. i especially like The mysterious murder, as i mentioned, and the poem that goes with All About Eve. that song over the past month has become really personal as i've kind of purposely interpreted it to fit the situation i'm in. i listen to it at least three times a day lol.

-Mike Siravo
"The Conductor"
Desert_Runner

Finally got Fire Garden guys... my god thats a good opener...