about youtube Vai vids (recently locked)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
boswell

#61 Post by boswell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:47 am

Youtube is good advertising :wink:

cosmic ape

#62 Post by cosmic ape » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Steve, that's awesome... it's exactly what I had in mind... Thank you for uploading this stuff yourself!!!

ocuj

#63 Post by ocuj » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:14 am

I see that my reaction was a little bit premature. I checked out the new Youtube page. It's great! Hope there will be more video's in the near future!

acoates

#64 Post by acoates » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Jeroen wrote:
ZappaIrl wrote:my opinion is, i think steve vai vids on youtube are okay, if it was possible to download the videos from youtube then i would have a problem.
But it *is* possible to download video's from youtube....

J
With this in mind does that mean Steve's cool with people downloading the vids his channel posts?

skodster
Newcomer

#65 Post by skodster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:48 am

I think that Steve and his management have not realised how much influence the internet has actually had on Steve's success.

I for one would never ever have discovered Steve Vai without Youtube.

Steve an his management have bitten the hand that feed's them!

How else do all the young, skint Vai fans get to worship their idol? He's just cut them right out of it!

Basic marketing.......

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#66 Post by Jeroen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 am

skodster wrote:I think that Steve and his management have not realised how much influence the internet has actually had on Steve's success.

I for one would never ever have discovered Steve Vai without Youtube.

Steve an his management have bitten the hand that feed's them!

How else do all the young, skint Vai fans get to worship their idol? He's just cut them right out of it!

Basic marketing.......
Hmmm.. I don't think this is correct.
There are Steve Vai video's on youtube, through his own channel.
So that argument is moot. Before Youtube, there were video's on Vai.com.

Secondly, by having his own channel, Vai has full control on what and how his material gets put out.
Having control over what you put out there is also basic marketing.....

Thirdly, think about all those who discovered Vai from before there was a youtube (or www for that matter!).

saraht

#67 Post by saraht » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Ah, good to see there are some videos on the channel now! Last time I checked (which admittedly was quite a while ago) there weren't any. Hope to see some more on there soon!

I love the Passion and Warfare interview! 8)

JeffWilliams
Newcomer

#68 Post by JeffWilliams » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 pm

My first response when reading this was:

Steve Vai has a YouTube Channel ?? haha
i had to go through 4 pages of reading before someone posted the link :shock:

might be a good idea to edit the first post and add the link :)

Second .. I wont subscribe to anyone who posts other peoples music.
and i wont download it at all .. i'm too busy writing music for one thing.

I don't mind people embedding my video's because when you click the video frame it brings you to my youtube channel .. its a "road in" ..
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MAKE AS MANY "ROAD IN" to my channel as you like.
in any way shape or form.
BUT when you use someone elses video just because you know the NAME steve vai will bring traffic to your site .. thats JUST WRONG ..

Even if your just using steve vai as a tag to your video's .. if you sound like steve vai .. well then ok .. but if your doing a comedy routine involving a blender and an ipod .. haha .. again thats JUST WRONG ..

Third: i've never felt SO GUILTY for being popular on youtube haha
I see players like Don Alder and T-cophony and they only have a few subscribers and i feel a little guilty. I even try to help other acoustic tappers get recognition.
how can "little ol me" have almost 10,000 subscriber and be in the top 100 and steve only has 400 or so subs ??? woah .. i feel guilty now haha ..

as far as downloading a youtube video .. ARE YOU CRAZY .. the quality across the board is marginal at best.

you'd have to be a major dipwad to download a hard drive full of youtube video's that are ALREADY on youtube's hard drives on steves channel.. !! :roll: if you can't get your vai fix there .. your just not trying .. haha

As far as the industry affect .. i could write a whole bunch of 4 letter words but i won't .. hehe ..
its KILLIN ME .. the "buzz phrase" "free music" with every toaster or .. every pair of jeans or .. a new cel phone acct has diminished the value of music at its very core ..
i got really pissed when i heard Prince quoted as saying "the music has no value" but then i realized .. eh .. thats becoming quite true. :(
** sorry for mentioning the "P" word on the steve vai forum hahaha **
if you don't have some sort of "side deal" or "pepsi sponsorship" .. your DEAD in this business .. good thing i just love playing .. or i would have quit a long time ago .. certainly not in it for the money .. not any more ..
well i am .. but .. as i said .. things are pretty grim on the horizon.
to top things off .. i'm not in a mainstream genre.
Half the people in the world don't even know you can tap, slap and smack an acoustic and don't even know who michael hedges is .. much less me :( ..
thats my 2 cent ..
jeff

Azrael

#69 Post by Azrael » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Jeroen wrote:
ZappaIrl wrote:my opinion is, i think steve vai vids on youtube are okay, if it was possible to download the videos from youtube then i would have a problem.
But it *is* possible to download video's from youtube....

J
*Cough*....vixy.net.....*cough*

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#70 Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Even if you can download videos from YouTube, they generally look like shit anyway (no matter how high quality the original source file is).

Steve's official YouTube channel will grow over time and include rare interviews and TV performances, but it's also meant to be a taster for people who might be interested in checking out Steve's music - and it lets them know if the footage they are watching is available in much higher quality (sound and picture) on DVD.

In the past, videos culled from Steve's DVDs have been uploaded to YouTube by people without permission, but also with little in the way of information on where the footage comes from. If people like what they see, then many of them would love to know where the video comes from and be able to see it in higher quality.

Saving an artifact-laden small video (with mono audio) to your computer to enjoy when that same video is available on DVD, is the same as walking around seeing the world through glasses that were cleaned with sandpaper.

But hey - to each their own...

Mikey
vai.com

Azrael

#71 Post by Azrael » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:12 pm

I think what Steve did was the best option available to him. I would have done the same thing in his shoes. It is exceedingly frustrating to find that other people have control over your life. People like Vai value their art above their lives. How much more awful would it be to see people manipulating YOUR art?

He's offering stuff that I haven't seen any other youtuber offer, like various interviews. Personally, I like Steve on Youtube better when he has the creative control. We get to see more stuff, and the stuff that was there in the first place is still there. It might even be better.

I remember seeing a video of Vai playing For the Love of God with the Metropole Orchestra, but the version Vai made public was much better and much more detailed.

Vid quality is indeed crap on Youtube, but Vai's stuff is presented much better than the other people's renditions of him.

On another note, I will miss the Yngwie parodies. Perhaps somebody can create a character that wears excessive amounts of jewelry, has long frizzy hair, possesses a musical arrogance, and puts too many notes in his music. :wink:

llamahead

#72 Post by llamahead » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Steve Vai has a YouTube Channel ?? haha
i had to go through 4 pages of reading before someone posted the link
ugh fine. . . . . . :D