I'm scared for Steve's life. . . . .

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
llamahead

I'm scared for Steve's life. . . . .

#1 Post by llamahead » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:40 pm

i heard that vegetarians eventually die of malnutrition. is this true?

if so how does Steve avoid this?
because I'm sure he's done his homework to avoid this

RAI

#2 Post by RAI » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 pm

We all die.......

guyver_dio

#3 Post by guyver_dio » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:13 pm

You can be as healthy as meat eaters and still be vegetarian, as long as you replace the nutrients that meats give you with something else or take supplements. Yes you could die or at least shorten your lifespan from malnutrition but I'd reckon there would be a fair few warning signs before it got to that stage and you'd seek medical advice. You can tell when a vegetarian isn't eating right, Steve, although thin doesn't look sickly or frail or anything, I'd assume he has taken precautions and learned how to do it the correct way.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#4 Post by Mikey » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Steve has been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

He knows what he's doing.

Mikey
vai.com

ClarkyNZ

#5 Post by ClarkyNZ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:47 pm

He has Mikey looking out for him! I'm sure Mikey cooks a mean vege burger on the BBQ with a few cold Carltons... (or is it Tooheys?) :)

miker

#6 Post by miker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:16 am

Living will kill you... eventually.

peca86pfc

#7 Post by peca86pfc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:38 am

miker wrote:Living will kill you... eventually.
It is a sad true. But eternal life would be so boring.
So i thought and figured that purpose of life is to die. i mean dying is the only thing in your life you know it's sure going to happen.

Big Bad Bill

Re: I'm scared for Steve's life. . . . .

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:29 am

llamahead wrote:i heard that vegetarians eventually die of malnutrition. is this true?
According to Ted Nugent and Gordon Ramsay, this is indeed true.

I've been a veggie for 41 years (and I'm only 32 years old) and I'm doing just fine-a little too fine if truth be known!!

If you look at this statement with a little critical perspective you may realise that our early ancestors were predominantly vegetarian, scratching for roots, leaves and berrys. Occasionally we would find and eat a juicy grub and when we came upon the half-rotting corpse of a dead wildebeest we might gorge ourselves on that for a few days before being forced to return to our predominantly veggie diet. We evolved and are suited to this type of nutrient impoverished diet. You can imagine what our protein-rich, high calorie Western diets are doing to our health. Is it any wonder that the Western hemisphere is indented into the surface of the planet because of the all the 'fatties' (including and ever diminishing me!) clumping around! So don't worry, I'm certain Steve will be around and be musically productive for much longer than his meat-eating peers!

Samuele

#9 Post by Samuele » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:25 am

Hi llamahead,
please do not be afraid. Steve is only one of many vegetarians who are living a healthy life in this world and age. Vegetarians do not die of malnutrition because of their food choice, but anybody can die if they pursue an unhealthy diet - that is, a diet which does not include what your body actually needs. But in my experience vegetarians are more careful about what they eat than non-vegetarians.

Understanding what a vegetarian-type nutrition involves may clarify a few things. Let me present you with some information:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases".
[source: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm]

The following article gives further detail on the previous statement. This is actually the official position mentioned above:

PDF version (full): http://www.dietitians.ca/news/downloads ... for_NA.pdf
html version (abstract): http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm

“Vegetarians have been reported to have healthier body weight than non-vegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from heart disease, lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and prostate and colon cancer,” says registered dietitian and ADA spokesperson Cynthia Sass".
[source: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm]

This is another article worth reading:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

In closing, Steve himself gave us his own thoughts on vegetarianism and why he's a vegetarian long ago:
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=34534#34534

I hope this will be of help to you.

Peace.

boswell

#10 Post by boswell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:53 am

Eyes in the front of the head = Carnivore. 8)

guyver_dio

#11 Post by guyver_dio » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 am

peca86pfc wrote: It is a sad true. But eternal life would be so boring.
That statement always makes me think, mostly challenging religion which we can't get into but partly just fantasizing about the future. Not natural advances but technological advances mainly, I'm pretty sure everyone is curious to see if we ever start public transport to other planets, blow ourselves up (in which case if we did have eternal life then therefore we'd just be floating around in space after the blast so nevermind the transport to other planets or the technology because we simply just need to get outside the earth's gravitational pull and push off in a direction and see where we land, but if we screw up and land on a planet no-one else landed on then that would suck but atleast you'd have a few good thousand or probably million years exploring that planet before you get bored. Like work on digging a hole and see what's underneath and when you get stuck that doesn't matter because you can keep digging through the core and back out the other side because you can't die and if you disrupt the core the planet will probably get unstable and it would collapse and you'll be in space again and you'd have to find some way to push off again and your on another voyage). Dude there's heaps of reasons to live forever, or more correctly eternal cause I guess there could be some differences. If you thought of forever in terms of forever provided you don't get run over or run out of oxygen and stuff, but there's a flaw because if running out of oxygen kills you then you'd have to say not drinking water or leaving out a key nutrient to staying alive kills you too and you'd have to say that about the other extreme if you were to smoke to much and eat to much fatty foods then that would kill you which is pretty much part of the reason why life eventually ends anyway so your right back to limited life. But eternal would be cool, like see what kinda music comes out too and stuff, if I had to choose between that and rot in the ground i'd choose eternal life. Imagine the drugs they could make that would be lethal otherwise.

I spose the best option would be like an alternative world where some of this worlds rules didn't apply. Like say you can stop eating or eat to much or consume anything you wish and that won't kill you but if you totally demolish your body then you can die. That would be great because you can live to see as much as you wished to see that you can't in a normal lifetime then jump off a building at anytime when you think you've had enough.

P.S I love steak

Big Bad Bill

#12 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 am

boswell wrote:Eyes in the front of the head = Carnivore. 8)
Potentially an omnivore

Big Bad Bill

#13 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

guyver_dio wrote:That statement always makes me think, mostly challenging religion which we can't get into but partly just fantasizing about the future.
The older I get and begin facing my own mortality, the more I realise that I'd like to live for ever. There's so much I'd like to have the time to do. It would not be boring
Last edited by Big Bad Bill on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

boswell

#14 Post by boswell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

Or as Yorkshiremen say "eight owt"

boswell

#15 Post by boswell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
guyver_dio wrote:That statement always makes me think, mostly challenging religion which we can't get into but partly just fantasizing about the future.
The older I get and begin facing my own mortality, the more I realise that I'd like to live for ever. There's so much I'd like to have the time to do. It would not be boring
Got to agree with BBB I'd be happy living for ever.