STEVE VAI on SACD or DVD-A?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
dbmay75
Newcomer

STEVE VAI on SACD or DVD-A?

#1 Post by dbmay75 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

As a collector of Super Audio CD's and DVD-Audio discs, including two SACD's by Joe Satriani (Strange Beautiful Music, Engines Of Creation) I thought it would be worth inquiring to see if Steve and co. have any plans for an SACD release anytime in the near future, particularly with the 20th anniversary of Passion And Warfare approaching ... ?

If it hasn't been a topic of discussion yet, then perhaps this thread will start some conversation in hopes that it might catch Steve's eye enough to consider this for his fans who would love (and would pay big moola!) to hear his recordings beyond only two speakers.

Info or feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

notavirtuoso

#2 Post by notavirtuoso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:13 pm

I like the idea of a SACD version of P&W for the twentieth anniversary. I'll second that. Maybe you should make this thread a poll.

Naffis-kun

#3 Post by Naffis-kun » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 am

I'm not sure I've ever come across Super Audio CD's.
They have better sound quality or something?

dbmay75
Newcomer

#4 Post by dbmay75 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:05 am

Yes, better sound quality and in most cases, the ability to hear the music via a 5.1 surround sound home theater speaker system. This allows for better separation of the instruments/vocals vs. having everything crammed into a normal 2-speaker stereo setup. It almost perfectly represents the experience of being in the studio during the recording process.

My OPPO Digital DV-980H SACD/DVD-A player was only about $150 bucks and the average SACD/DVD-A sells for about the same as a standard CD unless it's out of print and is being auctioned on eBay. All financial aspects aside, if you want to be blown away by SACD, buy a copy of Joe Satriani's "Strange Beautiful Music" SACD or Pink Floyd's 30th Anniversary of "Dark Side Of The Moon" SACD and prepare to be amazed!

SACD online: http://www.sa-cd.net
SACD/DVD-A player: http://www.oppodigital.com

*raising glass* Here's to Passion And Warfare's 20th Anniversary on SACD in 2010!!!

Dan

guyver_dio

#5 Post by guyver_dio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:19 am

How far can you really take audio quality? I've never heard about SACD or DVD-A before but I downloaded a flac version of a Nine Inch Nails album one time, which was uncompressed high quality audio made for 5.1 Surround sound. There's no doubting it was brilliant quality but I was just as happy with a mp3 streaming at a 320k bitrate. I'd certainly opt for buying that if it could play in a regular cd player but if you need to get a player for it isn't really enough to make me wanna buy one IMO. But I'm really satisfied just to hear any sound come out of the speakers lol.

leigh01

#6 Post by leigh01 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:38 pm

dbmay75 wrote:Yes, better sound quality and in most cases, the ability to hear the music via a 5.1 surround sound home theater speaker system. This allows for better separation of the instruments/vocals vs. having everything crammed into a normal 2-speaker stereo setup. It almost perfectly represents the experience of being in the studio during the recording process.

Dan
I dont understand the point in this, if you've got 5.1 surround sound, then surely just put the ordinary cd in then put your hifi or digital amplifier, and you get the same effects right??

I normally put my vai cds in my hifi which has 5.1 and my hifi seems to seperate the vocals, guitar solos etc perfectly, without any playing around.

dbmay75
Newcomer

#7 Post by dbmay75 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:51 pm

That might occur due to your receivers equalization settings, perhaps you have it set to an artificial "surround sound" effect. Ask around and when and if you come across a friend, relative, co-worker, etc. who owns SACD equipment, ask them perhaps for a demo at their house and see if you don't hear a difference.

Truthfully, some people's ears "get it" and some don't. It's not for everyone, but considering how many things are going on sonically in Passion And Warfare - "The Riddle" is a great example ... it would be sweet to hear everything Steve recorded coming from different points in your listening room besides just the lead guitar(s). After all, this is how Steve would have heard it during the mixing process.

Dan

leigh01

#8 Post by leigh01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 am

dbmay75 wrote:That might occur due to your receivers equalization settings, perhaps you have it set to an artificial "surround sound" effect. Ask around and when and if you come across a friend, relative, co-worker, etc. who owns SACD equipment, ask them perhaps for a demo at their house and see if you don't hear a difference.

Truthfully, some people's ears "get it" and some don't. It's not for everyone, but considering how many things are going on sonically in Passion And Warfare - "The Riddle" is a great example ... it would be sweet to hear everything Steve recorded coming from different points in your listening room besides just the lead guitar(s). After all, this is how Steve would have heard it during the mixing process.

Dan
Ok. Then, I think someone at my college will have some sort of SACD equipment. :)
I guess I'll have to have a hunt around the old place.