Steve Vai with Eros Ramazzotti

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition

#16 Post by RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:05 am

Tino: Eros is NOT mainly a guitar player so it's impossible to compare him to other musicians who mainly guitarists are!
However try to hear the solo on "Il tempo tra di noi"...is by Eros and I don't think it's so bad and also the solo on Max Pezzali's "Sei Fantastica": it has some mistakes probably and it' not one of the best solos ever, but it's not really a shit!
However I really love "Dove c'è musica" in Steve's version and love so much the solo! Wonderful!

Tino Costan
Newcomer

#17 Post by Tino Costan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:20 am

RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition wrote:Tino: Eros is NOT mainly a guitar player so it's impossible to compare him to other musicians who mainly guitarists are!
However try to hear the solo on "Il tempo tra di noi"...is by Eros and I don't think it's so bad and also the solo on Max Pezzali's "Sei Fantastica": it has some mistakes probably and it' not one of the best solos ever, but it's not really a shit!
However I really love "Dove c'è musica" in Steve's version and love so much the solo! Wonderful!
I think that if you really love Eros you can't appreciate the Vai'style and viceversa :lol:
I'm not a guitarist and I love Steve for the geniality of his music, so far away from the easy notes of pop music, specially italian pop music :?
I can't hear nothing else if the singer is Ramazzotti (the mosquito) or Pezzali (the mule)
:twisted:

RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition

#18 Post by RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:32 am

Ok but they are so far as genre, that you can like both in their genre!
However I love Steve's music and after the concert in Pordenone I said him "YOU ARE GOD" while taking photo with him! This means that I really love Steve's music and this is not a condition that makes me love his music and hate all other music! You can love also other kinds of music! This IMHO obviously!

Tino Costan
Newcomer

#19 Post by Tino Costan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:58 am

You can love also other kinds of music!

Yeah, man! :D
HARD'N'FUNK'N'ROCK'N'SOUL'N'RHYTHM'N'BLUES ...that's my kind of music! Tino Costan (Stootootruck)
from http://www.blueverde.it/musica/musica.htm

sisterinlaw

#20 Post by sisterinlaw » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Tino Costan wrote:I think that if you really love Eros you can't appreciate the Vai'style and viceversa :lol:
This is not true for me.

I have been listening to Eros' music since I was 12. (and believe me, that was waaaayyy back in the last century :mrgreen: ) In my CD collection are all his Cd's. I have been listening to Steve since december 22nd 2004. and I absolutely love his music, his style and especially the Aching Hunger Concerts. These 2 together was a surprise to me and I love the sound in that song. I think it's a bit over the top sometimes but it is cool. I really love the drums in it. You recognize Steve in a split second, even I did. It's cool.

Why be narrow minded? Sometimes you can see the most beautiful things where you least expect them......

Corrado

#21 Post by Corrado » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:04 am

yes i agree.... i hate Eros Ramazzotti's music, but this song with Steve is simply great.
the guitar work is amazing... and it's arranged with "taste"!!
i believe it's really hard to be elegant and creative when arranging pop music... Steve simply did it... and it's not a thing that every musician can do.
grande Steve!!!!

saraht

#22 Post by saraht » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:35 am

I think it's great that Steve has remixed one of Eros Ramazzotti's tracks - why not?

I haven't heard the song yet though, and I'm not that familiar with Ramazzotti's music... but for some reason they always seem to play Una Emocion Para Siempre (the Spanish version) where I work, and I actually quite like it - it's kind of catchy!

Samuele

#23 Post by Samuele » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:01 am

I purchased this single track when the album was released, because I have an innate instict that drives me to get every note that Steve has ever recorded (my ears won’t forgive me if I don’t).

Yes, to tell you the truth I have to admit I wasn’t interested in listening to Ramazzotti at all (I enjoy more cayenne-pepper-topped music rather than easily-listenable, accessible pop songs), but was very intrigued by the thought of how Steve would have approached a song like this.

When I listened to the track I was so surprised at how fresh and ‘airy’ the guitars sound. The way Steve employs the whammy pedal is simply genius-like, I have never heard any other musician doing it so creatively. I think the solo is reflective of the song’s general mood, joyous and euphoric – only on a higher degree, in my opinion. I was impressed at Steve’s inventiveness (as I always am) in such a situation. To me, he clearly perceives music differently than anybody else - he can highlight the inherent quality of it and give it back in its purest form ever.

Following is my translation of the liner notes for the song:

"Dove c’è musica" ["Where There Is Music"]
In order to explain Steve Vai's talent one just needs to say that he was Frank Zappa's favorite guitar player. He had a very positive attitude towards this project: his take on "Dove C'è Musica" has an impressive impact. I am very enthusiastic about the result, and proud of the fact that Vai expressed flattering comments on me and my songs, proving that music does not [belong to anybody] and that true artists are not [influenced] by foolish and useless jealousies."

[Original Italian text: “Per spiegare il talento di Steve Vai basta dire che era il chitarrista prediletto di Frank Zappa. Ha avuto un atteggiamento molto positivo su questo progetto: la sua rilettura di “Dove c’è musica” ha una forza d’urto impressionante. Sono entusiasta del risultato e orgoglioso del fatto che Vai ha espresso giudizi lusinghieri su me e sulle mie canzoni, dimostrando che la musica non ha padroni e che i veri artisti non sono succubi di sciocche e inutili gelosie.”]

That Steve was Frank’s favorite guitar player… well, only Frank could have told (even though I think he would never have). But the comment at the end sounds very true to me – Steve does not have any prejudice towards any kind of music. Hat off to him for this.

P.S.: yes, maybe Ramazzotti looks a little pretentious at times...
http://www.musicalnews.com/img_art/28102004004809.jpg
:lol: