Steve's stance on tabs.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Cholesterol
Newcomer

Hello ! This is my first post (duh ?!) and I searched for this topic on the forums but it hasn't been made yet.

I'd love to know Steve's stance on tabs. Since I know Steve is a busy man and may not have the time or interest to answer that thread I'll ask that question to everyone.

Do you consider that tab sites are possibly harmful -- in terms of financials -- to artists who may make money out of selling tab books ? The MPAA (sp?) has taken an agressive stance toward those sites and made many of them shut down and sometimes this eventually led to the break down of communities. I'm thinking here of the taborama website (feel free to censor the name). The owner made his money from the "main" part of the site (i.e. tabs) but there also was a great community on the forum with creative artists as well as great folks.

My second question is really two questions in one. Do you consider tab books only as another means of income for artists or mostly as a tool for artists to learn how to play their favorite songs ? This leads me to the second part of the question, are tabs better than figuring songs out by ear ? I've read of an interesting point of view from another guitarist I look up to: Guthrie Govan. He says that we get much more from the experience of learning a song when learning it by ear because we actually get to play on the fretboard and get to learn how to play what you hear. I'd also add that I find that I restrain myself when I learn a song by tab. I will usually stick to what's on the tab and not expend but when I learn a song by ear, I will feel free to add my style to the song and I'll be more flexible as to what I can play and when.

Sorry for this disorganized post. It's a tad late and this is not my native language !

Mmmm... Discuss ? :D
brentm

I'm sure that Steve would oppose anything that violated copyrights.

The only other real comment I have on the subject is it seems there are so many incorrect tabs out there. I'm to the point where I'll buy the book if it's available rather than use the internet. At least there is a higher probability that published books (i.e. Hal Leonard) are correct because the artist was likely involved or provided oversight in the material.
Cholesterol
Newcomer

That is something we have to question. Where do we draw the line in copyright infringement ? If I learn the song by ear, I'm fine. If I write out what I have learned by ear, I become illegal. That sounds wrong to me. As you said, tab books have "a higher probabibility [...] [to be] correct because the artist was likely involved or provided oversight in the material". Then, we would pay for that extra guarantee of exactitude and not for the tablature itself. I therefore believe that there should not be a case of copyright violation for tab sites.
Last edited by Cholesterol on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentm

Yeah, it's definitely worth a debate. I'm not sure this is the right place for it, but I see what you're saying.
Cholesterol
Newcomer

I don't mind this thread being moved as it is not directly about Steve but I created it here first because it was to get Mr. Vai's opinion; however, I do realize that the chances that he will take some of his precious and limited time to answer this thread are slim and agree with you that this thread may need to be relocated.
<Mike>

Just for the notice, the MPA isn't the only organisation guilty for removing tabs on sites. For example Mysongbook.com was shut down cause of french goverment or something like that. MPA had nothing to do with it.

Was a shame anyway. I used to be a regular poster in the forums there.

Anyway.

I don't think tabs should be illegal. It's all messed up. I agree with Cholesterols post in this matter.

However, I do think that it's better to tab the songs yourself. I have always done this and I dare to say that if I wouldn't have done it from the start, and instead learn from tabs, I would not be as good as I am now.
And when I say good I mean at transcrribing, playing... everything that has to do with how much you've practised at listening.

I hope that tabs will be back online everywhere soon though for those who wants it but there are sites right now that have tabs already. (Legal sites)
For example www.gprotab.net

And that site is Not illegal, since it's not illegal to have tab sits in that country, so I don't think it should be any problem to post the link here. (If so, please delete it moderator)
Legba
Newcomer

Just as a side note on this one how involved in the tab books has our fabulous Mr. Vai been, I was thinking of getting the Passion and Warfield book but was really hoping that it was accurate
budt

I think really accurate tabs are great. If there are a lot of mistakes in a tab it can really screw you up. I'm still playing Nancy Wilson's acoustic intro to Crazy On You all wrong because I trusted a tab in a magazine when I was a beginner. Its just ingrained in my muscle motor memory!
sunai

budt wrote:I think really accurate tabs are great. If there are a lot of mistakes in a tab it can really screw you up. I'm still playing Nancy Wilson's acoustic intro to Crazy On You all wrong because I trusted a tab in a magazine when I was a beginner. Its just ingrained in my muscle motor memory!
for me if it sounds right and tight its not wrong
guyver_dio

So far I haven't suffered from their attempts to stop free trading of tabulature one bit lol. Most people would bound to have a P2P search engine of some kind, with a few variations on your searches in any p2p program or torrent site you'll be able to find mysongbook's entire tabulature archive, and still a simple search in google results in numerous of useful pages of many site offering free tabulature in various formats. What did they do? Because nothing has changed on my end lol.

I think it's just silly, there's no guarantee the tabs you download will even be correct nor do the site creators themselves make any profit from the tabulature. It's like a big community of musicians sharing their knowledge and expertise and helping each other out. Seemed like a positive thing to me. I own official tabulature books too because they are cool to own and have alot of information about the songs and stories and heaps of cool stuff, but like hell i'm waiting on an order every time I wanna learn a damn song. Ofcourse I could use my ears but screw you I'm lazy.
StevieRayVai

Im not sure, but I would think he would be against them as he did make sheet music for Zappa.
Cholesterol
Newcomer

I remember reading he did this only to practice while he was at Berklee and sent them to Zappa who happened to like a lot Vai's work. I might be wrong.
Mr Clark

I really think treating tabs as violation of copyright is wrong.. tabs really help beginners to stick to the instrument even though it's tough at the start.. you can't expect a beginner to work things out for himself, not everyone is a 100% natural guitar player..
So this leads me to say, killing free tabs, kills musicianship, of sorts :P
IbanezGRX
Banned

I dont read full tabs anymore. I just get the basic idea of the song from the tabs and improv on my own. Thats how I learned the first half of FTLOG.

(Duh?) That wasnt necessary
V-type

Legba wrote:Passion and Warfield
:D