Which Album Do You Like More?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Which Album?

Real Illusions: Reflections
9%
9%
9%
9%
Passion and Warfare
16%
Passion and Warfare
16%
Passion and Warfare
16%
Passion and Warfare
16%

Total votes: 188
BorgAngel

Nasty poll :S
Guitarmonky55

hard choice. the only way im able to choose is because RI is definitely my favorite vai album. not to discredit the others in any way, but that music is AMAZING for me. to me it is the height of what a (mostly) instrumental rock album should be.
Rachmaninoff

Passion and Warfare.
Stephen Brown

Passion and Warfare is timeless.

It's as relevant today as it was back then. Not many albums can do that I feel. err Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall...etc

R.I is equally as good as an album but in another direction. Which was prob intended anyway.

Steve's prob proud of both albums but maybe RI a bit more because it's more of him to date & where he's at. Both are cracking statements.
As a growing up player though I found P &W just blew my mind so I have a special place for it in my heart. When I frist saw the tab book for the album, it was the first tab book that I thought..."How thick is that book" "How ya going to learn that."lol

Talk about a hard question. (subject matter)
call_of_ktulu

sunai0804 wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:milk or orange juice?
orange juice, i love its tang!!

TANG RULZZ :D :wink:
Legbur

I HATED passion and warfare when i first heard it, but it grew on me to the point of it being my favourite album EVER, at the the time it came out I was a thrasher and would only listen to to likes of sabbath and metallica, i liked steve vai in crossroads but found it hard to get into DLR and zappa stuff, so i was kinda singleminded to a point. My mate put PAW on for me to listen to, and i thought that it was all computerized bullshit until i listened to FTLOG and then my life changed. I re listened to it and listened to it somemore, in fact i analyzed the whole album so much that i think i learned every single sound in there, it changed the way that i play guitar and inspired me to eventually ditch school for 12hour guitar practises, i have worn out countless copies of it and gone thru a few copies of the transcription book to boot.
As for real illusions, it never really captivated me, and hasnt grown on me, ive listened to it about ten times learned the licks i like and put passion and warfare back on, PAW is beyond real illusions by a decade, and it sounds newer to me, but then again it did take steve a very long time to get it out. I think if steve were to spend the same amount of time on an album now, we would be in for something that is simply unimaginable, and i think steves best days are still yet to come i look forward to the future.
Incestuous_Monk

Legbur wrote:I HATED passion and warfare when i first heard it, but it grew on me to the point of it being my favourite album EVER.
Same with me at first too! Although I never hated it - I just didn't connect with it. It was only through my sheer laziness at not being able to be bothered to change the P&W cassette that I used to listen to on my paper round that I actually got hooked. It wasn't a sudden thing at all, but I found I'd look forward to hearing certain songs like "The Riddle" and "Erotic Nightmares" to begin with. Eventually it became a full blown addiction!! Actually, the tape wasn't entirely P&W; it was a kind of mix tape and had Lenny Kravitz and Oasis on it too. That was 1994/95 ish.

I agree with you on RI:Reflections too. I really want to love it - but for the most part, it doesn't connect with me. I really hate saying that about a Vai album - but there you go. Sound Theories on the other hand is rather special to me - "I'm Becoming" and "Frangelica" alone make the album like fairy dust.

Steve :o)
another virtuoso

broken tape deck or a tire iron?
Incestuous_Monk

another virtuoso wrote:broken tape deck or a tire iron?
Tire iron. You can't hit someone with a tape deck... :shock: :lol:
IbanezGRX
Banned

Incestuous_Monk wrote:
another virtuoso wrote:broken tape deck or a tire iron?
Tire iron. You can't hit someone with a tape deck... :shock: :lol:

x2.. But you can Hit them with Tire Iron.. and when they are down. Hit them in the head with the corner of the metal part of the Tape deck..
another virtuoso

id prefer a handshake and a hello, but hey if a tire iron to the face makes you happy then be my guest. actually, no... be someone elses guest.
Stephen Brown

RI really is a work of art!

The playing on the album is like mind blowing! To be honest P & W is getting on a bit. Building the Church is a power house song. One of the many on the album. Ya can hear a bit of P & W in the last track of RI anyway. From start to finish the album kicks booty.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.
Vaism

something is really wrong with somebody who thinks that RI is musically better than PW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DMIN
Newcomer

:roll:

Meet the Beatles or Sgt. Pepper?
bilbo--baggins

Couldn't choose one over the other. Both are amazing. Perhaps currently Ri:R because I've listened to it fewer times as it hasn't been around as long, so it sounds fresher to me. Which one I will prefer in 20 years time is anyones guess.