Whats your favorite Vai quote?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Symphon

Splish wrote:At the second session at the London Guitar Show, when some person was playing saxaphone in the wing when he was talking..

"Did I ever tell you how much i hate jazz? Especially Saxaphones..."

I think you had to be there :)
i wanna see that, have u got a vid?
budt

galan wrote:"Playing the guitar effortlessly is a sanctuary of divine personal revelation. The modern day virtuoso refuses to die!"

Steve Vai, February 5, 2001, 8:21 pm los angeles California
That, coupled with:
They come down on me because I know how to play -
Hey ... Fuck Yoooouuuu!!!
(From the first track on Flex-able Leftovers.)
Symphon

budt wrote:
galan wrote:"Playing the guitar effortlessly is a sanctuary of divine personal revelation. The modern day virtuoso refuses to die!"

Steve Vai, February 5, 2001, 8:21 pm los angeles California
That, coupled with:
They come down on me because I know how to play -
Hey ... Fuck Yoooouuuu!!!
(From the first track on Flex-able Leftovers.)

""when ya burnt ya brain and say i dont know.. i hate to tell ya but i told you soooooo"
boswell

"One of the best ways to improve on your instrument, is to have respect for the person who teaches you."

Heh BBB so thats were me and you have been going wrong! :lol:
boswell

"I used to learn the songs. For instance, I tried to learn every Jeff Beck tune I could. But when it came time for me to play, I knew instinctively, that I needed my own sound.

Performing on an instrument is like a birthright, and everybody should do it.
I thought if these guys have their own sound, then I need to get a sound too! They had made so many great riffs and sounds that were unique to them. I didn't want to sit there and try to sound like them.

If there is anything that a guitar player gets from reading this interview, then it is that right there."

One for all the Youtube copy cats! :wink:
boswell

"I am not really a natural. I’ve had to work extremely hard in order to make sense out of that thing, and I have so many limitations on the guitar."
Splish

Symphon wrote:
Splish wrote:At the second session at the London Guitar Show, when some person was playing saxaphone in the wing when he was talking..

"Did I ever tell you how much i hate jazz? Especially Saxaphones..."

I think you had to be there :)
i wanna see that, have u got a vid?
Ah unfortunately not my friend
Vaifan1982

:) "The tour bus is too small" Luxembourg 2007
StevieRayVai

Well I have a few that are all tied for my favorites.

First when I met Steve I took my parents really nice digital camera with me, which is pretty large and has amazing quality. As soon as I pulled it out of the case steve goes "WOAH BREAKIN' OUT THE BIG BOY" hahaha

Also there was an interview with the band on youtube where all the people of the band were being interviewed. They each had to say what they did, and when they got to Dave he was like "Guitar and Sitar" and Steve replied saying "He also sets up my backstage area" hahaha

and last but not least

"I'm not a popstar, or a "good looking" rock star..I play the guitar and there are people who love the guitar..and ill always do it for them"

That is such a bold statement and he really does mean it, its not an act...although he is a good looking rockstar
StevieRayVai

Oh and last one, some guy won a contest to play onstage with vai doing freeway jam. The guy enters the stage and stands right in front of Steve's amp and steve goes "you might not want to stand in front of my amp if you ever want to have kids" and then Steve was asking him to start off, and he's like "okay you start off and play, then ill go into some crazy solo because im Steve Vai and thats what im supposed to do"
Symphon

StevieRayVai wrote: "okay you start off and play, then ill go into some crazy solo because im Steve Vai and thats what im supposed to do"
best one ive ever seen :P
knopfler_666
Newcomer

"... I didn't play it on guitar, i played it on my uh... brain"
Stephen Brown

boswell wrote:"I used to learn the songs. For instance, I tried to learn every Jeff Beck tune I could. But when it came time for me to play, I knew instinctively, that I needed my own sound.

Performing on an instrument is like a birthright, and everybody should do it.
I thought if these guys have their own sound, then I need to get a sound too! They had made so many great riffs and sounds that were unique to them. I didn't want to sit there and try to sound like them.

If there is anything that a guitar player gets from reading this interview, then it is that right there."

:wink:
That's a 10 out 10 that one.
Samuele

It's hard for me to come up with my all-time favorite Vai quote, but there are some which I really dig.

About the song "Yai Yai" featured on Guitar World:

"What the hell is Vai thinking? Why would he put a song like that, when he has an opportunity to...to SHRED! [...] And he puts that!"
Gangstarpt

Duggy wrote:"Vai is actually an Italian word. It's the verb "to go". Sometimes in South America or Italy people say to each other "Vai Vai Vai" & I end up syaing "What what what"?"

in portuguese: vai = go!!!!