I Need SOme Help From My Vai Friends

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Draven0914

Hello all my Vai friends...........I have a huge favor to ask of you all........I have a friend of mine who use to be a huge EVH fan until he feel off the Earth LOL.....and I am trying to get him to listen to Vai he has not heard much from Vai so I need you all to help me pick out a list of songs I should play for him to show all aspects of vais playing and amazing ability on the guitar.........thank you all for your help
Zeds.Ded

just give him these albums

Passion and Warfare

Alien Love secrets

7th song

(or every album, you cant really go wrong!)
Big Bad Bill

Draven0914 wrote:Hello all my Vai friends...........I have a huge favor to ask of you all........I have a friend of mine who use to be a huge EVH fan until he feel off the Earth LOL.....and I am trying to get him to listen to Vai he has not heard much from Vai so I need you all to help me pick out a list of songs I should play for him to show all aspects of vais playing and amazing ability on the guitar.........thank you all for your help
Your friend was just like me in 1990. Then P&W came out and my life changed forever..............
sacrifice

i was never a fan of Alien Love Secrets it felt sort of pointless, which was why for many years I was fine with believing Vai was just weird and kind of a dink, didn't like him at all haha. The first big huge thing that changed my mind was the video for Tender Surrender, it captures alot of his personality and also the shredliness http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg (the starting is a bit elevator music, but tell your friend ot believe it really ramps up)
then I saw him play the g3 with malmsteen, the tripleneck intro, another insane peice of performance - http://youtube.com/watch?v=z4B7ZbXXnGw

after seeing this I intensely loved Vai somehow, but still didn't like almost any of the recorded music I'd heard haha (except the song For the love of God)
i think the first real illusions album is pretty solid sounding, and it will impress people who like Dream Theater or anything like that, an almost 'normal' sounding record.
I think there's something peculiar about the way he plays that might not immediately make sense from just hearing his record, for me, seeing him play in those videos really helped me understand what he does.
catscratchfever

i agree with sacrifice.......i wasnt as into vai..then after i started to see him play. idk, it all changed. now im a die hard fan :wink: show him a few vids!
jagoda

Try Building the church from the G3 concert or Bad Horsie from Live At Astoria. Anyway, show him something live. It just ain't the same as listening to a CD. :wink: