Fire Garden nostalgia thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian7

This has to be my all time favourite Vai album! I remember my spiritual receptors opening up the minute I stuck it on the CD player back in '96, the album was just so spiritually deep and intense and it perfectly mirrored my headspace as a 16 going on 17 year old wannabe muso space cadet.

Just one small triviality. Is it just me or does Steve sound a little like George Michael on Aching Hunger? :lol:

Favourite FG songs:

The Crying Machine
Dyin' Day
Fire Garden Suite
All About Eve

It's funny, I don't really think Steve has topped the Fire Garden Suite movements since he wrote it. I think that piece stands as his magnum opus, so complex and unique, as if you were listening to a story unfold before your ears. I hope the next album has a piece as compositionally and instrumentally dense as FGS.

Here's a tough one, what do you feel is your favourite movement from Fire Garden Suite? Mine has always been Angel Food. It reminds me of a time when I was a child and I was half-way between wake and sleep, a sort of elusive netherworld. Nice. Also there's a part between Food and Bulba where Steve does that small vocal figure ("Heeey-hey") which reminds me of an elvish forest, a bit like Lothlorien but not quite.

Anyway...

I really dig the tone on this album, I think it's my favourite Vai tone. The bogner really complimented his playing style, which leads me to another point. I feel Steve's solos are extremely narrative on this album. There is not a wasted note on most songs and each and every note and musical phrase seems to fit holistically into the mould of the overall story.

I also feel that Dyin' Day and All About Eve have this extremely non-linear chord structure thing going on, as if each abnormal chord progression paints a very unique picture (rather than the old stock diatonic chord prgoressions). It's strange to me, these two songs have so much in common yet Steve hasn't returned to this style of song writing since he wrote these two songs. The solos to each piece of music are amazing and lyrical, especially the opening to the AAE solo, wowzer!

Melissa's Garden seemed quite Fire Garden-esque to me, I really regard that piece as a continuation to the Fire Garden legacy (not the amp!). I really enjoyed that piece, it was rich with fantasy elements; a complete, swirling eddy of whimisical visions and ideas, very reflective and nostalgic.
catscratchfever

while i am a major fan of other albums as well, especially sound theories, i think you make a good point. while i am not as partial to fire garden in terms of being the flat out best, i have to admit that there are some elements of the song-writing in there that are unique like that . dyin day and aae are perfect examples and i have to admit i wish he'd do another song along those lines. i agree with almost everything you said. but.....i also really enjoy the new writing steve has done since then. so for me i suppose i would say i would like to see more writing like that, perhaps a few songs on the next album, and a few in his more recent style. but hey, its steve right so ill buy it no matter what it is! (oh, just in relation to you. im 16 goin on 17 now)

peace
BL
FireComa

Right there with you! This is easily his best album. It's the most diverse, musically challenging, and innovative album out of all of his. The "two phases" idea was brilliant.

First Phase Highlights:
"There's A Fire in the House"
"The Crying Machine"
"Blowfish"
and his best song ever,
"Bangkok/Fire Garden Suite" :shock: :D :o SHEER BRILLAINCE

Second Phase Highlights:
"All About Eve"
"Aching Hunger" :shock:
"Genocide" :D

BRILLIANT ALBUM

(Real Illusions and Alien Love Secrets are close behind this one)
mayuka

Fire Garden is my Favorite album
Masi

Yeah. Everytime I listen to this record it takes me back to that time. I remember hearing it for the first time with all the conflicting emotions in my life at the time and all the great people I got to know and make music with...somehow it all seemed to make some sence in a weird sort of way...this was a perfect soundtrack. I love this cd passionately...
Azyiu

Fire Garden and Passion And Warfare are Steve's absolute best works! Both are so intense, complex, emotional and deep!
MatJB

Azyiu wrote:Fire Garden and Passion And Warfare are Steve's absolute best works! Both are so intense, complex, emotional and deep!
Yes! Absolutely! There is so much raw, visceral power and beauty in those albums, it's unbelievable!
jagoda

I'm a more Alien Love Secrets girl. But Fire Garden is also great. I love There's a fire in the house of it.
smiffy

It is indeed a great album.

Favorites would be: The Crying Machine, Dyin' Day (has Steve ever played that song live?) Hand on Heart, Fire Garden Suite, Aching Hunger,Warm Regards.
lydian7

smiffy wrote:Dyin' Day (has Steve ever played that song live?)
I can't recall ever hearing it live, but I can't understand why he doesn't play it more often. Such a sublime melody, and the openning riff is killer!
Leanne_777

Dyin Day would be great live. Fire Garden is probably my favourite album, it was the first one I heard. My brother played me Whookam, possibly trying to scare me. I loved it. If asked my favourite songs Fire Garden Suite, Hand on Heart and Crying Machine would be up there. Crying Machine in particular makes me feel nice, it always reminds me of when I was just geting into Steve and I was all excited.
lydian7

Leanne_777 wrote:Crying Machine in particular makes me feel nice, it always reminds me of when I was just geting into Steve and I was all excited.
That was exactly the same for me! I heard the Crying Machine when it came free with a UK guitar mag (possibly 'Guitarist'?) before Fire Garden was released, and I was hooked! I bought Alien Love Secrets and Passion & Warfare in preparation for the Fire Garden release, then when it finally came out I was in cloud nine! :P
lespaulplus

It is IMHO Steve's best album so far.

Crying machine is the only song I always play live with my band but I take the album's version because I don't like too much what he does live in the slow part.

Last time I met Steve I asked him why he changes this part being the original so nice and he replied to be for keeping some freedom in his playing. However he does always the same since many years so I don't arrive to understand where's that "freedom".

Needless to say I didn't tell him so after his explanation. I just said "aha" :)

Back to the matter.... Fire Garden is a great album.
Seraphim

One word:

Warm Regards

ops... that's two words :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
smiffy

lydian7 wrote:
smiffy wrote:Dyin' Day (has Steve ever played that song live?)
I can't recall ever hearing it live, but I can't understand why he doesn't play it more often. Such a sublime melody, and the openning riff is killer!
Yes it's like there's theese different melodies that compliment each other in the greatest way. I particular like the acoustic rhytmguitar that ties the tune together.....Hell I have to put the CD on now... :D