SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
fp77&ep7owner

Finally got my copy today! Great T-shirt btw! So far i've listened to part I and I must say it is awesome to hear these tunes fully orchestrated. My favorite parts are the intro to Salamanders in the Sun and the oboe (maybe sax?) solo on FTLOG.

Great job to all the orchestra performers I can image that there where a few spots were the players were scratching their heads thinking "he wants me to what?" I enjoyed hearing the orchestra do things they might not normally do and I am really impressed with how involved the audiences are. Steve does a great job by involving everyone in the music making, including the audience. I hope to see this trend of combining guitar music with orcherstra continue. It's so expressive!!!

Off to Vol. 2 :)

Almost forgot!!! FTLOG has some great brass writing probably my most favorite part of Disk 1.
Wunderkind7
Newcomer

I just got the CD in the mail today and I'm a little confused and tweaked. I thought this limited edition was going to contain extra photos and an extra booklet but I didn't receive either of those. The extra booklet that came with my CD was just the exact same booklet that was already in the CD, why the hell would I need two of those? And I must be missing the extra photos too because there's all of about 5 photos in the CD case, which is what I got. Granted, I did receive one of the passes for the meet and greet, however, because I live in Atlanta I won't be able to use it because the tour doesn't even come anywhere close. So seriously, can anyone from Vai.com tell me what happened or was that all that I was supposed to get, the same thing I could've purchased in any music store???

Regarding the CD itself, I'm only on the fourth track of the first CD but so far it's pretty damn sweet.
GreenMeanie

This is the explanation from Steve as to why you recieved 2 books
Steve Himself wrote:Hey folks
I wanted to mention...
When I first saw the printed booklet for the Digi pack I did not like the way it came out. The printing seemed dark and all Mike’s hard work on the art seem to be dull in comparison to the files we approved. I requested Sony to re print the booklet with the correct shading but the booklets for the digi pack were already packed into the digi pack. To Sony's credit they agreed to re print the booklet and send them to the fulfillment plant that is sending out the digi packs. The fulfillment plant agreed to include the newly printed booklet in the shipping of the already completed digi pack. So you should be getting the Digi pack with the dull printed booklet along with another booklet that was printed with the brighter colors. So you should receive two booklets that are the same in content, but one is suppose to have better color. I hope that's what you get.
Thanks for being patient.
Joanne
Fanch

WHEW, Mind Expanding, Beautiful, this is pure Food for the SOUL!!! :D It has Drive, it Rocks, it Moves me deeply!!Thank You sooo much Steve for this album! I'm simply Blown away...absolutely Intoxicating!

Fanch<-------Very Happy Camper! :D

P.S. See you in Chicago!
fp77&ep7owner

Vol. 2
Hmm a further glimpse into the twisted mind of Mr. Steve Vai. LOL just kidding.

My favorite moments here are the orchestra solos. The violin work on "Sparks".... wow and the contra bass clarinet at the end of "Frangelica Pt. II" is the coolest thing i've heard in a very long time. Hats off to Co de Kloet and the entire orchestra for putting this unique experience together. The music world needs more people like this to break downt he boundries between different genres of music. I hope Steve's music will be played more and more by orchestras in the future and that more people will be exposed to Steve's unique writing.
notavirtuoso

I have to say I wasn't as excited about this album as many here. I only like about half of the original versions of the songs on these discs. I am quite happy to report that I have seen the songs I never liked before in a whole new light. Thank you Steve for being the diligent, uncompromising artist you have grown to be. I can only imagine how fulfilling it must be to complete this, congratulations. I am thoroughly impressed and well beyond satisfied. To say my thirst has grown for the DVD is a gross understatement.
mroppy
VIP
VIP

fp77&ep7owner wrote:My favorite parts are the intro to Salamanders in the Sun and the oboe (maybe sax?) solo on FTLOG.

Almost forgot!!! FTLOG has some great brass writing probably my most favorite part of Disk 1.
Yes, it's an oboe. Then it expands to flutes, oboe, and clarinet, and then everyone comes in. ^_^

Chris
fineweather

I recieved mine today...from HMV, yep, an ordinary version. :wink:

Really perfect work! At last I could understand how hard Steve worked for this "Sound Theories"... :oops:

Hmmm...how can I say...? Too bad that my vocabulary in English is too small to say my feelings...

When I listened to "Salamanders..." in Vol.I, I remembered how I felt when I listened to this song for the first time, when I attended the Steve's concert in Tokyo (during the Ultra Zone Japan Tour) for the first time...well, I fell in love with this song. I didn't know this song until then. There's no doubt that this song made me a fan of "Steve Vai". Still now, this elegant song keeps bringing me back to "Steve". Fantastic.

I love both CDs, of course, and I'm fascinated by vol.II at this time. I already listened to the Aching Hunger concerts through the internet radio a few years ago, so it's not the first time to listen to the songs, though, I felt the violin solo of "Sparks" so fresh and tight. Absolutely artistic and beautiful. The beauty of Steve's music. I surely could feel it through "Sound Theories". This is what I want. Really reliefed I could feel I'm still a fan of "Steve Vai".

I'll buy a copy of the Japanese version which'll be released on July 18th. And looking forward to the DVD, too! :)
(In Japan, the contest of winning the Ibanez guitar and T shirts will be taken by Sony Japan! Yai! I'd like to another guitar! :lol: )
Last edited by fineweather on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClarkyNZ

My CDs just arrived down here (depending on which way you hold the map) in New Zealand by courier today.

I have only listened to the first CD so far, and cannot believe how confronted and challenged my psyche has been with this listening. From the opening un-harmony of Kill the Guy with the Ball to the final strains of FTLOG I was constantly finding my mind both focused on the music, and unfocused on the portrait that was unfolding before me. FTLOG started with a young man and woman of indescribable purity watching each other and feeling the same love, but it soon transcended that into something much more powerful, and beyond my explanation. I can't wait for more chances to reach this state of mind and meditate on this wonderful new discovery.

Thank you Steve, and everyone involved.
lionel freeman
Newcomer

Very good album.
The god eaters version is amazing. In the cd2 Frangelica part 2 is incredible,Stevie playing jazz fusion impro with an umbelievable sound,great melodies. In fact this album is awesome. 8)

Sorry for my English kids.
poemind
Newcomer

lionel freeman wrote:Very good album.
The god eaters version is amazing. In the cd2 Frangelica part 2 is incredible,Stevie playing jazz fusion impro with an umbelievable sound,great melodies. In fact this album is awesome. 8)

Sorry for my English kids.
But Steve is not playing this, the orchestra's guitarist is. Steve doesn't play at all on Disc 2.
lionel freeman
Newcomer

Really?
Oh NOOOOOOOO. :cry:
mcmillan666
Newcomer

The man from fedx handed me my copy today ran upstairs put it on and WOW :guitar :headbang Thank you thank you thank you been waiting for this album for years then i think lets have a look inside and out drops a satin pass what a great birthday present see you in london
Zeds.Ded

this album nearly (nearly) brought tears to my eyes. thats all il say :wink:

'There's Steve sitting on a fence, trying to make a dollar out of 99 cents'
Butler_of_rock
Newcomer

Hi,
Every month I receive a small sum of money from my parents, like every other middle class kid I suppose. And every month I seem to manage to waste it on something completely and utterly pointless. I therefore went to my local music shop to rapidly quench my thirst to spend aimlessly (It's a small pleasure that I can enjoy before I have to endure paying taxes). But my eye hit your cd. Being a huge fan of your previous work, I grabbed it, flung my wallet at the casheer, ran out, walked back in to retreive my wallet (I'm not that rich!) and took the first bus home. During the whole ride, my ear was stuck to the cd case, trying to decipher any slightest sound secreted by the bizarre yet colourful picture. Wen I listened to the cd I have to say I was greatly disappointed. You see you took away my pleasure of spending aimlessly,for you had made me inadvertently spend my money wisely, thus ruining the the last enjoyment I had in life. I say only two things can force you to spend wisely: Taxes and Steve Vai. I remember a concert that Yngwie Malmsteen did with an orchestra. Although it was very impressive, I felt it was like the orchestra were all there just to back him up. It didn't look like that there was any sort of synergy in between all the musicians, just a 'follow the leader' thing where yngwie dominated the wole thing. But what I like with this album is that there's a real collaboration in between vai and all the other musicians. Like when they imitate the weird sounds on his guitar. Whilst on yngwie's attempt it looked like the orchestra had to scramble together that ressembled his songs whilst he shredded someting ontop, vai's successful attempt really showed a prominent signature on the orchestra, you can really see HE wrote everything and that the guitar isn't there to dominate all the other instruments just so vai can show off but is really mingled with the whole sounds. Like on the front cover, vai will never be able to stop that music pouring out of his ears and I think this new approach to music (old and new together) will not only give new strength to vai's career but will also give birth to a more colourful and imaginative type of music. On a side note many titles reminded me of an apocalyptic mad house and were slightly hard to endure sometimes. Oh and I like how you go through each individual instrument to then bring them together in a creshendo. It didn't make me cry though. I mean who do you take me for? I can't imagine one of vai's fans literally crying to a song. And finally alot of the songs reminded me of musicals like oliver and annie,ect...All in all a good album which I hope is only the start of a new genre in vai's career.