SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Stephen Brown

#151 Post by Stephen Brown » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:38 pm

To hear that Steve Vai was going to do something of this nature filled me with loads of question. My father use to take me to orchestral practise & the brass band work that he did when I was at a young age. So I've seen many performances in these fields. Old man like the brass stuff but I liked more the orchestral works. Many time I showed dad a Steve Vai line in standard notation only to have it whistled back at me. Dad had never even heard Steve's songs, so it amazed me when I could hear lead lines whistled back bang on. It was a real help in places I can tell you.
I have spent many hours sitting & hearing the orchestra practise. Stop...start......back...again....louder...Noo....yes...All under the clock an all. It gave me first hand experience on how much effort it takes to pull these things off. Also really helped my ear. I didn't even know I was learning.

So....Sound T.

To hear all these song in a orchestra context was going to be mind blowing to say the least.
I couldn't wait myself. It was like all area's of my musical interests were going to come togeather. I wish dad could of heard it myself,it would of blown him away!!!!!

What can I say.

Breath taking work!!!!!!!!

New life into old tunes. Fresh concepts....the swing of the orchestra working
in & out between the guitar. I'm bold over by how it all works. The mix is so bang on. The levels & clarity on the cd!!! wow. The crowd element also really enhances the feeling. Hay, I don't feel I missed the gig.lol

The music scored around the electric lines really do sound amazing & fit in a perfect manner. If I left something like that behind after I'd gone, I'd be well chuffed!!!!!

This has to be the Super Steve Album!!!!

I've said it once but I'd just like to say it again.

Breath taking work & a breath taking massive achievement.

Can't wait to see the dvd now.

Both not to be missed.

p.s
Love that oboe in TLOG. Get's me every time.
P.p.s
Thanks Steve.

mr_vai777

#152 Post by mr_vai777 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:43 am

Can't wait to see the dvd i love the way the orchestra is used in Gentle Ways. Absolutely fantastic. Steve is a great composer

slash89

#153 Post by slash89 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:14 am

I knew Steve was a good composer, but i was really blown away when I heard this release. It is the work of a true genius. It's so cool when the guitar kicks in to get that nice crescendo we all love.

Draven0914

#154 Post by Draven0914 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Hello ALL I know this is a very late reply to this thread but I just recieved my copy of ST Vol 1 &2 from a very dear person / friend (MD thank you again) and I must say I am not too sure why there are sooo many "negative" things written in other reviews around the net surrounding this release.......I am totally blown away by the music that is captured here on these 2 CD's.......Steve is continuing to just blow my mind with every effort he gives to us........I must say I saw some of these songs performed live before listening to this CD but WOW!.............my favs. are "Gentle Ways" and "FTLOG" FTLOG has been my fav since P&W and what a version we get here................this is a "fresh" start to a classic song and what a mind blowing exp. it was........the intro is fantastic and just when you think it can't get any better in steps Steve and the guitar just shreds along side the Orchestra and is just AWESOME!.......

Thank You Steve for a GREAT CD I am soooooooooo happy you decided to allow your fans to share this exp. with you and to release this to us for our listening pleasure.................you could have easily kept it in the vault for your ears only but like you ALWAYS do you give your BEST to us your fans and I personally thank you for that

Justin AKA Draven0914

Booligan

#155 Post by Booligan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:14 am

There´s too much random noise that just annoys the shit out of me on these orchestrated songs. I only now figured out why i didn´t like this release, took me 2 months :lol:

MatJB

#156 Post by MatJB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:49 am

This DVD is amazing! A perfect blend of guitar and orchestra. The only weaker moment for me is "Shadows And Sparks" - it just seems a bit disjointed and unexceptional. Frangelica rocks, however!

I love the "Random shot of old man" at 30:26 during I'm Becoming :lol:

FireComa

#157 Post by FireComa » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:07 pm

BabylonBrother wrote:Shut up and play your guitar.
So what, you have the balls to bash Steve and THEN quote his mentor? Dude, you are stupid. This album is brilliance. This isn't a simple ABC album, I doubt you could build up music like this. This is tough stuff. I'm not sure why you are complaining about his guitars being out of tune, that's crap. They remained quite in tune for the duration of the album.

This album is a radical departure from anything he has done before. So you can take your "British honesty," which is code for "British arrogance" which just makes you sound like a less arrogant Yngwie Malmsteen, and take it somewhere else. :evil:

tricep
Newcomer

#158 Post by tricep » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am

Hmmm...

I also made an observation about his guitar being slightly out of tune. I was not watching, only listening. It was an honest observation. I was born into a musical family and have been playing music for over 35 years. I believe that I am qualified. I just called it as I saw it. Call it a mistake. Oversight? Whatever...

I did not make the observation with a bias or bad intent. It was an honest observation. I was under the assumption that Vai at one point must have become aware of this and was probably mildly concerned--if not overly.

I would also assume that by the time he noticed, it was already too late.

I see that this forum flames just like any other. Why should it be any different? :?

BTW, that was rhetorical. :wink:

TM1108
Newcomer

#159 Post by TM1108 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 am

tricep wrote:Hmmm...

I also made an observation about his guitar being slightly out of tune. I was not watching, only listening. It was an honest observation. I was born into a musical family and have been playing music for over 35 years. I believe that I am qualified. I just called it as I saw it. Call it a mistake. Oversight? Whatever...

I did not make the observation with a bias or bad intent. It was an honest observation. I was under the assumption that Vai at one point must have become aware of this and was probably mildly concerned--if not overly.

I would also assume that by the time he noticed, it was already too late.

I see that this forum flames just like any other. Why should it be any different? :?

BTW, that was rhetorical. :wink:
Sounding out of tune may not be down to being out of tune.

the whammy technique he's been favoring over the past few years will often sound out of tune.

Bryceybhoy

Re: SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

#160 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:04 am

I'm not a big fan of Sound Theories. I agree that on some of the songs Steve's guitar seems a little out of tune, but that's not my major problem. I just think most of it sounds like a huge rabble. Orchestra and rock music don't go. The only song that works is Salamanders, and that's because it's not a rock song.

At least Steve had the balls to try something of that magnitude. I didn't like it at all, but others will love it. Part of being a Vai fan I suppose.

girl from Kiev
Newcomer

#161 Post by girl from Kiev » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 am

Steve Vai - the best!!! :guitar

girl from Kiev
Newcomer

#162 Post by girl from Kiev » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 am

I love Steve Vai! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Kamenrider Ryuuki

#163 Post by Kamenrider Ryuuki » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:02 pm

just had the chance to view this dvd yesterday, I am really feeling the sentiment towards his view of "arts as the essence of life and birth right of every human being"

being a musician myself, I dont see art as something that is "simple" and "make believe", it is a process of "learning" to know "the power behind everything else that is real".

keep up the good work Steve, will wait for your next dvd effort...soon.

fettouhi
Newcomer

#164 Post by fettouhi » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 am

I've had the DVD and CD since it came out and I have to say it simply isn't good at all. The original compositions are quite good but the rearrangements of his older songs are simply a waste. They don't IMHO bring anything new to the table plus some of the songs simply aren't suited be to arranged with an orchestra. Especially "Kill The Guy With The Ball" is a pain to watch.

Regards

André

Brakkum

#165 Post by Brakkum » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 am

fettouhi wrote:I've had the DVD and CD since it came out and I have to say it simply isn't good at all. The original compositions are quite good but the rearrangements of his older songs are simply a waste. They don't IMHO bring anything new to the table plus some of the songs simply aren't suited be to arranged with an orchestra. Especially "Kill The Guy With The Ball" is a pain to watch.

Regards

André
did you need to post this in two threads? and also that song isn't even on this.