SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
nosferatu777

#136 Post by nosferatu777 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:10 pm

"Gentle Ways" ... the melodies in this fabulous song, I could never tire of.

saxonsmum

#137 Post by saxonsmum » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:31 am

On behalf of Saxon I will type his review, he is 5 years old, has autism and a healthy obsession with Steve Vai.

He was super excited to buy the cd and called it "Steve Vai Magic".

Volume 1 (Steve Vai green) He loves Kill The Guy With The Ball, The God Eaters, Liberty, For the the love of God, and all the guitar solos.

Volume 2 (Steve Vai red) Saxon loves the whole disc. His favourite track is Shadows And..... he loves the percussion at the beginning and the whistle although I think the word Shadow, (as in Shadow the Hedgehog) in the title really helped seal the deal as favourite track! And yes he did pick out Whispering a Prayer and his most favourite song of all, Incantation.

The album has become the current favourite in his collection and I have found the cd at various times around the house under his pillow or in his school bag, it has even been carried around the supermarket. Two thumbs up from Saxon. Now he wants me to buy him a violin!

SRVoodoo

#138 Post by SRVoodoo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:26 pm

I've really only listened to Volume 1 so far & I LOVE IT!!!!
I think Stevo has really outdone himself on this one.
I've never heard Steve "dig-in" as deep as he does on this album which is not knocking RI or any other recording. For being LIVE, it's filled with so much passion & raw energy it blows me away!
Suffering depression/anxiety, I find it very soothing as well as inspiring.....in fact - AWE inspiring to listen with headphones on.
There are way too many "things" to list...like how one melody is shared by 3-4 instruments all taking their turn one after the other filling out the melody from beginning to end. and the harmonies???? fugetaboutit!
Harmonies like only Steve Vai could imagine!
I believe that i heard a couple of Vai flubbs here & there but nothing can ever be perfect & not worth ruining a completely awsome take otherwise.
One of my favorite moments is when it's all quiet & someone from the audience makes this noise like an Owl, or some kind of bird & Steve answers the call exactly like the person did it.
makes me smile everytime I hear it.
Depression & all, this album inspired me to start playing again....for whatever it's worth.
anyway, get yourself a copy & be ready to enjoy something refreshing!

aims519

#139 Post by aims519 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:06 am

I've been looking forward to this release immensely since I heard about it and it certainly doesn't disappoint.
Disc one has some real classics including a personal favorite of mine, "Salamanders in the sun". Each song is enhanced greatly by the orchestra and Steve's playing is superb as always.
Disc two is the one i was most interested in hearing, however. Vai's skill as a composer really shines in this wonderfully dense and complex music. The use of pre-existing melodies in "Shadows and.." was a nice touch and eases you into the music well. Even without his guitar playing these are all, without doubt, identifiably "Vai" compositions with all the beautifully quirky melodies and phrasing that I love in all of his music.

Anyway, enough said
Well Done!

Breeder

#140 Post by Breeder » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Disc 1 is imbalanced 8) But the intro on this version should have been replaced by the one that was broadcasted on Netherlands tv :D

On the other hand disc 2 disappointed me,by my humble opinion it seems as orchestra wasn`t ready for this one.
Shadows and... has pretty interesting drums and some parts are redone pretty well but I still get the feeling things are just throw in here for no reason...melody from lucky charms is the worst part of this song-it just lacks that depth and feeling in performance
Sparks on the other hand drags that violin a bit too long(at least by my ears :wink: )
Regarding "Frangelica" and "Helios And Vesta" I have no objections 8)

harvestthesouls
Newcomer

#141 Post by harvestthesouls » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 pm

I've never been a fan of orchestral works, even during music lessons during high school n college (except for setworks) i wasnt too big a fan of orchestral works, maybe thats because i didnt hear many modern works, but s&m (Symphony and Metallica) opened my ears but still i dont consider that true/pure orchestra , i luv the album to bits but this album of steve's this i consider to be very very pure orchestral, (orchestral dominated) but i have to say this album is timeless for me, and everyone here is saying it, and its true steve vai has blueprinted the works in this album and it shows even during the parts hes not playing guitar, im so proud of the guy, hes realy stretched himself, not many guitarists have gone the whole mile and unfortunately not succeeded very well, steve vai has

Seraphim

#142 Post by Seraphim » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:59 pm

saxonsmum wrote:Two thumbs up from Saxon. Now he wants me to buy him a violin!
What a emotical post. I felt very emotionated reading this post. Nothing like Steves music to make someone happy!!!
Two thumbs for Saxon from me, also two thumbs up for you, great Mother!!!
Don't forget the violin!!!

All the best,
:P Seraphim :P

BadHorsie777

#143 Post by BadHorsie777 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 am

<wow...first post in a long time....>

I think that the whole project in itself was very interesting...i love it when metal and prog bands get with orchestras...AWESOME!!

this is no exception....amazing!!!

this album rivals P&W in its greatness!!!!

Mr.crapo

#144 Post by Mr.crapo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 am

saxonsmum wrote:On behalf of Saxon I will type his review, he is 5 years old, has autism and a healthy obsession with Steve Vai.

Two thumbs up from Saxon. Now he wants me to buy him a violin!
that is great to read that ! And i am sure Steve will be pleased to read that too ! steve obsession is GOOD , no limit ! i was sure Steve music is that powerful and deep it can touch anyone and bring out emotions out of a lot of people. thumbs up !

muhri
Newcomer

#145 Post by muhri » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:59 am

Breeder wrote: Shadows and... has pretty interesting drums and some parts are redone pretty well but I still get the feeling things are just throw in here for no reason...
had the same feelings about this one. seemed to me like a medley.
especially that incantation part. such a lovely melody and then again this Daaa-da-da-Daaa-da-da-Da ARRRRRR :evil: ;)

the others were great ,though :)

Sylvana0902
Newcomer

#146 Post by Sylvana0902 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 am

I wanted to buy the Sound Theories :guitar ... but not here in the Netherlands yet! :(

The Record shop told me...mayby 26th of this mounth! :evil:

Damned ...now i am pissed off! :twisted:

guyver_dio

#147 Post by guyver_dio » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 am

It was pretty cool, but I wouldn't compare it to something like Alien Love Secrets or Passion and Warfare. Not an album I would want to listen to over and over again like some of the others. Nothing really surprised or struck me about this album, except for I'm Becoming which was absolutely beautiful. Not one of my favourites but a cool album all the same.

Mr.crapo

#148 Post by Mr.crapo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 am

Sylvana0902 wrote:I wanted to buy the Sound Theories :guitar ... but not here in the Netherlands yet! :(

The Record shop told me...mayby 26th of this mounth! :evil:

Damned ...now i am pissed off! :twisted:
get a copy at bol.com : :wink: http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP. ... _Section=1

laficojr

#149 Post by laficojr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:41 pm

I just ordered my copy of Sound Theories :D

-yasi-

#150 Post by -yasi- » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:43 am

I Love that album...as i always do :)

I need to say.. i eman with 14 who listens to orchestral music?.. me eithger, i normaly hate orchestral stuff.. but steve put it in a way where it sounds amazing.

Awesome work again steve !!
Thx so much for your great music! :D