stupid question

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
TonyMacalpine

how does steve test out new gear like new amps, pedals, and what not? Most of us just trek down to guitar center, but somebody like steve can't just walk in and try out the new fender deluxe reverb reissue. Does he rent? Do companies just send him stuff if he's interested?? Does he just spend the money and order it from musicians friend and resell it on ebay if he doesn't like it? I know its a stupid question, but it's making me wonder.
brentm

I don't know how anyone legitimately "TESTS" things at Guitar Center. It's generally far too loud and busy to give anything a fair test there.

Lucky for me, GC has a decent return policy :)

As for Steve, I can't speak. I bet he gets both promo gear and stops by the store if he needs something.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

that's a pretty interesting question...you know what, I have no clue what he does. I don't know, He might still just waltz in and buy stuff and try it out, I don't think he'll be trying amps out at guitar center. you know what he probably doesn't even walk into guitar center, if there's anything he needs from there Thomas probably takes care of it.
TonyMacalpine

who's thomas?
MichaelThomas

Thomas Nordegg, Steve's guitar tech and close friend.
Iveness92
Newcomer

I'm sure where ever he stays, if a guitar store is near by, there's no problem of him going to it. It's not like he'll be bombarded with fans, as they'd be used to him at that point :lol:
VaiEvo

TonyMacalpine wrote:who's thomas?
Thomas Nordegg, a velcro fiend
vaigod

I would imagine someone of Steve's status that companies solicit him. Most likely come to the studio or something like that.
~D
MichaelThomas

vaigod wrote:I would imagine someone of Steve's status that companies solicit him. Most likely come to the studio or something like that.
~D
I don't know, at Steve's level that would get pretty annoying. If that's the case then he'd have like 10 people knocking at his door everyday. lol hi I'm blah blah from Boss, hi I'm this and that from Digitech, hi I'm your mom from Line 6, just imagine how many companies want to put Steve's name on their product. The door bell wouldn't stop ringing!

If he really needs to try something out he might make a quick stop at Guitar Center but now that I think about it, Steve's always at the NAMM shows, he's there all day. I'm sure if he finds something he likes he might just make a note of it and order it later.
TonyMacalpine

MichaelThomas wrote:
vaigod wrote:I would imagine someone of Steve's status that companies solicit him. Most likely come to the studio or something like that.
~D
I don't know, at Steve's level that would get pretty annoying. If that's the case then he'd have like 10 people knocking at his door everyday. lol hi I'm blah blah from Boss, hi I'm this and that from Digitech, hi I'm your mom from Line 6, just imagine how many companies want to put Steve's name on their product. The door bell wouldn't stop ringing!

If he really needs to try something out he might make a quick stop at Guitar Center but now that I think about it, Steve's always at the NAMM shows, he's there all day. I'm sure if he finds something he likes he might just make a note of it and order it later.
MMM, i totally forgot about NAMM. Thats probably where these cats check out new stuff...probably before all of us.
slowhand
Newcomer

How cool would it be to just walk into a Guitar Center and see Vai jamming out to something. Of course there would be some idiots there that didn't realize who he was and would say things like "Can you turn that down, I'm trying to play some Green Day here!" or something border-line retarded like that.
notavirtuoso

My guess, which is just as good or bad as anyone else's, would be that it's a combo of things. I would think anyone he endorses would send him anything he wants to check out. Other things he's heard about he may have Thomas check into or obtain. As far as going to a store, I would be willing to bet that he has a pretty good relationship with a small group of stores that will either bring stuff to him to check out or let him in after hours.