Classic Rock-Steve Vai

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

Steve is featured in this months edition of 'Classic Rock' magazine (the boxed Black Sabbath special). It's a short account of his career (which when you read it, you wonder if the author really knows his stuff. Maybe it's just poor writing) but includes a pretty cool photo of Steve with his triple neck. There's a selection of essential albums (Eat 'Em and Smile, P&W) superior albums (Ship Arriving...,S&R, Skyscraper, Disturbing the Peace) good albums (G3 with Johnson, Man from Utopia, ALS) and 'avoid' (Slip of the Tongue). Each album gets a short review.

I think this is the second such 'shortie' about Steve I've seen this month so I expect this is a prelude to something interesting from the Vai camp (?Sound Theories?) and it's the second time 'Slip of the Tongue' has received a music journalist's sharp tongue!
Zeds.Ded

wait a minute? it says to Avoid slip of the tongue??
Cleggy

I have never bought a guitar magazine, I wonder why?

Derrrrr... :roll:
Leanne_777

It says a lot about the guy who wrote it that so few of his solo albums are even mentioned. Steve shouldn't be judged on his work with DLR and Whitesnake..........well, not Whitesnake anyway.
Slip of the Yongue is class though!
Bryceybhoy

Classic Rock is not a guitar magazine, it's a rock magazine and a pretty good one at that.

Not the first time I've heard Slip of the Tongue get a bashing. I've read quite a few interviews with Coverdale saying he didn't like all the 'widdly' bits in the songs. Steve does do rather a lot of that on this album, but I still love it.

I thinkg it's a great album. Top class 80s uber cheese rock!.
Axemadman

I though it was quite a good article - its unlike Steve to ever get mentioned in Classic Rock so to devote 2 pages to him was quite amazing IMHO.

From reading the magazine for years - they'd be more orientated towards Zappa so to not reflect on too much of his solo albums is no big surprise.
applesteam

Axemadman wrote:I though it was quite a good article - its unlike Steve to ever get mentioned in Classic Rock so to devote 2 pages to him was quite amazing IMHO.

From reading the magazine for years - they'd be more orientated towards Zappa so to not reflect on too much of his solo albums is no big surprise.
Yes, but to not even mention albums such as RI:R and Fire Garden is sacrilege.
Leanne_777

I could be wrong but I think they did quite a long story on him a few years back, possible around the time Ultra Zone came uot. I remember reading it on the bus to Dublin on the way to see Joe Satriani........them were the days. I was possibly a guitar magazine though.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

that's a shame. Slip of the tongue is such a nice album, I think people just look down on it because it didn't sell as well as other whitesnake records which is totally insane because Slip of the tongue sold well over three million copies.
nickcat0

applesteam wrote:
Axemadman wrote:I though it was quite a good article - its unlike Steve to ever get mentioned in Classic Rock so to devote 2 pages to him was quite amazing IMHO.

Yes, but to not even mention albums such as RI:R and Fire Garden is sacrilege.
The way I read the article .... they were just trying to give a flavour of Steve's career .

A couple of "must have albums" - "Eat Em And Smile" and "Passion And Warfare" - well I can't argue with that .

4 very good albums - 1 solo , 1 Zappa , 1 DLR , 1 Alcatraz

3 good albums - 1 G3 ,1 Zappa , 1 solo

I think they've delibirately chosen albums from each "phase" of Steve's career , to give none fans a flavour of his work .

Finally , 1 to avoid - Slip Of The Tongue - if you're going to stay away from a Vai album , I think this would be the one .

So overall , I think it is a fair , if brief overview of Steve's work .