Spirtuality Views of Vai??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
guitarmattms

Spirtuality Views of Vai??

#1 Post by guitarmattms » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old College student who plays guitar all the time.

Reason, why I'm writing this is that I'm curious about Mr. Vai's Sprirtual views of life.

I feel very lost right now and that I need to find something to belive in.
I have a hard time beliving in some of the main religions ideas.

It seems that Mr. Vai has combinined all of these different spirtual ideas to make himself happy.

I'm just curious on how he did this.

If anyone wants to help me feel free to post or email me if possible.

I appreciate all of your help and thank you Vai for all of your great music.

*Matt*

Entheogen

#2 Post by Entheogen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:00 pm

I know this isn't what your looking for, but don't, and no offense meant here, just try to follow in his shadow. Formulate your own opinions and viewpoints. Find your spirituality from within, based not on faith and the supernatural but on logic and concrete evidence... I've really got to stop preaching.

Incidentally, I came across something a while back saying Steve Vai aligns with a sect of Buddhism.

Hopefully, something in this helped and you don't get too pissed off.

RAI

#3 Post by RAI » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Find your own way.

But in regards to Steve, he follows Sant Mat.
8)

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#4 Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Most all belief systems and spiritual paths all have the same (or similar) messages at their center.

Spend some time reading. You might find something the resonates with you in one set of beliefs, or, you may find things the appeal to you from a variety of different beliefs.

You also might want to check out this site: http://www.beliefnet.com/

And there is a cool quiz here: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

Jared2720

#5 Post by Jared2720 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Steve was featured in a book, fairly recently, entitled Ten Eternal Questions by Zoë Sallis; he offers commentary on the very issue that you raised in this thread. If you're interested in gaining some insight into Steve's perspective, that might be a good place to start. That being said, it is important that you seek your own path toward enlightenment. Nobody--not even Steve--is qualified or capable of providing you with an appropriate ideology by which to live.

We are all unique beings with completely unique perceptions of the world, and only within ourselves can we discover the tools necessary to achieve spiritual balance. I know you are looking for answers, but alas, most of us are just as lost as you. Don't be discouraged, though, as there are steps you can take that will aid you in your quest.

As Mikey suggested, read as much as you can (literary texts, religious/spiritual texts, scientific texts, or even just a newspaper). Learn about different artistic mediums and what the artists themselves are trying to say or express in their work. Try to travel as much as possible, learning about different cultures and people. The more you learn, the easier it will become to start piecing together your own set of beliefs. That being said, it is important to form the habit of questioning/scrutinizing your own ideas and beliefs and those of others. This will teach you to think critically and save you from being manipulated by those with ulterior motives. Good luck.

-Jared

<Mike>

#6 Post by <Mike> » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:06 pm

start with beliving in yourself.

guitarmattms

I am sooo pissed off right now!! :))) JK

#7 Post by guitarmattms » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Hey,

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.
I understand what your saying Mike.
It propbaly sounded like I want to try and copy Vai but more or less I was just curious on how he found his spirtual side.

Here's some information about me.
Hopefully to get an idea of me as a person.

As I stated early I'm 21 years old and attending a local college in my home town. I've been playing guitar for 10 years and it has consumed my entire life pretty much. Hey, nothing wrong with that right?

It seemed to that I've always asked questions about life at an early age in life. I remember one time I had to write a short little paper on how the world would be in 5 years. This was like around 3 grade or so and I remember I really got upset cause some how I got the thought of me dying and not knowing what it was.

This was the first time for me to experince this and ever since then I've been kinda afraid of living in the fear of dying or something tragic happen to me. I guess it's a very illogic statement don't you think?

Anyway, I continued on with life and with the question of why... and the fear of something "bad" always happening to me.

I've taken several Psychology classes from High School and College to help give me some light to these topics for me. They have sorta helped me straiten somethings out but a lot of questions and wonders are still unknown for me.

However, as I've said I feel empty and the need to start beliving in something. I can't find faith within the major religions cause I feel that they are all corrupted in someway.

Other wise my family support doesn't feel very strong for me.
It seems to me that every thing that I do in my parent's eyes is wrong and pretty much that if i do what they say they're happy.
On the other side I try to find something that I like they oppose every little thing. So that's a sorta another part of the big picture.
My family is very Christian oreintated and I have the idea that if I stray to far from it they wouldn't like it. Of course, I shouldn't let it bother me. However, I hate to say it but I"m sorta like a mamma's boy and I want to try and make my parents happy.

Anyway, I don't want to keep rambling. It's late and I need my beauty rest...

So thanks alot for everything guys.
I'll see ya later.

Peace.

Feel free to post any thing more to this topic.

\m/

RAI

#8 Post by RAI » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Fear that something bad will happen to you....?
You better get used to it, 'cause it happens to all of us you know!
All you can do is live your life, enjoy the moments that you have.
Spend time with friends and family, do the things you love to do.
Outside of that, you have no control of what will happen and when.
Finding "faith" isn't going to change any of this.
It might give you an idea of where (or if) you go when this earthly life is over. But is there any truth in that?
That's up to you.
For me, I love the fact that I know that I will spend eternity with my wife.
Together forever...

:)

ZappaIrl

#9 Post by ZappaIrl » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 am

there is no god, there's no santa claus either!

Big Bad Bill

Re: Spirtuality Views of Vai??

#10 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 am

guitarmattms wrote:I feel very lost right now and that I need to find something to belive in.
Stop looking outward and start looking inward! You can find meaning and peace in your life without looking for something to 'believe in'! Just because you 'believe' in something it doesn't make it real or the truth-no matter how hard you believe in it!

My sincere advice is if you're feeling disaffected, seek some professional help, perhaps a counsellor/therapist-they are the experts in this field. Get some exercise as the endorphins will raise your mood considerably. Talk to your friends, don't lock yourself way-get their perspective on your issues. If you find that you have the desire to lock yourself away and mull over things, then you must especially seek out the advice of a trained therapist. Have you considered 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy'? There are loads of books on the topic it's been proven to be highly effective, but nothing beats a professional taking you thorough it!

Good luck and don't despair-people care about you-look at us happily taking a tiny bit time to make sure you have some ideas to try out! Let us know how it's going.

boswell

#11 Post by boswell » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:28 am

Mikey wrote:Most all belief systems and spiritual paths all have the same (or similar) messages at their center.

You also might want to check out this site: http://www.beliefnet.com/

And there is a cool quiz here: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
I did the Quiz, looks like I have a choice of:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (79%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (78%)
5. Neo-Pagan (75%)
6. Nontheist (65%)

or I carry on believing in myself, my family and my friends 8)

firestone

Re: Spirtuality Views of Vai??

#12 Post by firestone » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:09 pm

guitarmattms wrote:Hello,

I'm a 21 year old College student who plays guitar all the time.

Reason, why I'm writing this is that I'm curious about Mr. Vai's Sprirtual views of life.

I feel very lost right now and that I need to find something to belive in.
I have a hard time beliving in some of the main religions ideas.

It seems that Mr. Vai has combinined all of these different spirtual ideas to make himself happy.

I'm just curious on how he did this.

If anyone wants to help me feel free to post or email me if possible.

I appreciate all of your help and thank you Vai for all of your great music.

*Matt*
i wish you luck and hope you find happiness just remeber the world is a beautiful place you just need to focus on the good things like playin guitar you can find peace in playin guitar be cause it makes your mind relaxed also try meditation this is extremely efficient i've been through some pretty dark stuff and listening to happy uplifting music and meditation took me out of it there is beauty in everything

guitarmattms

Hello!!

#13 Post by guitarmattms » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:22 pm

As I've said many times before, I appreciate it all the advice you've been giving me. I'm hooking up with my friend tomorrow and we're going to talk about this. So hopefully, I'm going to figure out something here.

Later.

Entheogen

#14 Post by Entheogen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:08 pm

About the corrupted religion thing- yep, they're all like that. If the idea of Christianity resonates with you but the dogma doesn't, than fuck the dogma. Practice whatever and however you want. Don't let other people tell you what to believe.

Find that you can be God over yourself, and have faith in yourself.

Evan Riddell

leigh01

#15 Post by leigh01 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:02 pm

1. Hinduism (100%)
2. Jainism (84%)
3. Neo-Pagan (82%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (74%)
5. Orthodox Judaism (69%)
6. Sikhism (62%)
7. New Age (61%)
8. Scientology (60%)
9. Bahá'í Faith (59%)
10. Unitarian Universalism (59%)
11. New Thought (58%)
12. Islam (57%)
13. Reform Judaism (51%)
14. Theravada Buddhism (50%)
15. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (38%)
16. Eastern Orthodox (37%)
17. Jehovah's Witness (37%)
18. Liberal Quakers (37%)
19. Roman Catholic (37%)
20. Orthodox Quaker (31%)
21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)
22. Seventh Day Adventist (28%)
23. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (26%)
24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%)
25. Secular Humanism (17%)
26. Nontheist (11%)
27. Taoism (11%)

That's me, nearly, im actually krishna Consciousness, :)