Steve, If you have time .. Read This

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
IbanezGRX
Banned

Well ive been playing since November on my Ibanez GRX40 Guitar package, and believe me I know quite a bit about Guitars. im not some fool who Just gets a guitar for christmas and plays Iron man and smoke on the water. Actually the first song I ever played was For the love of god. I think thats the best song you ever made. I know bends, Vibrato, whammying, popping, slapping, you know all the good stuff. Ever since ive watched your Bad Horsie Vid on youtube where you were painted silver ive wanted to learn that. Well I did.. Now I will get right to the point.

Do you have any tabs you could send that are right on the money because I go to (cant post URLS yet sorry my first post) and it seems they are a bunch of kids who dont know how to tab. or is there any site you could direct me to that has all the right tabs.

Also nice work on the Tender Surrender vid. the solo was amazing you didnt even look at the guitar when you were tapping. you were holding it out.. jesus I wish Satriani was here to teach me guitar like he was for you :)
acoates

IbanezGRX wrote:Do you have any tabs you could send that are right on the money because I go to (cant post URLS yet sorry my first post) and it seems they are a bunch of kids who dont know how to tab. or is there any site you could direct me to that has all the right tabs.
I would assume Steve writes everything in standard notation so it's unlikely he has pages and pages of tab he could give you.

If you want good tabs, try the guitar pro software, the people who post tabs with it usually have a bit more ability than others, though of course it's no guarantee of success. Use google, then any rating systems the sites have to assertain how good the tab is.

There were some of Steve's tabs posted in Adobe Acrobat format I'm sure someone could provide a link, they seem pretty accurate.

Try training your ear by trying to tab out his songs yourself, you may be surprised at how good you get at it.

Keep at it, let us know how it goes.
RAI

Or better yet, go and buy the book...........

8)
ClarkyNZ

RAI wrote:Or better yet, go and buy the book...........

8)
That works for me. :)
juliussontany

IbanezGRX wrote:Well ive been playing since November on my Ibanez GRX40 Guitar package, and believe me I know quite a bit about Guitars. im not some fool who Just gets a guitar for christmas and plays Iron man and smoke on the water.
it's been 5 months and you played FTLOG ??

i was trying to figure out Do-Re-Mi in my 5th months playin....You Rocks..... :twisted:
slash89

Do as RAI said; buy the book :wink:

But there are plenty of good Bad Horsie tabs on 911tabs.com.

You could always tab it by ear too! Trust me, this song is not the hardest ear training exercise around. He follows logical patterns, unlike some songs that includes crazy fingerings and massive phrasing, like Freak Show Excess that I am currently working on.
joshua202020

I don't think Steve will have the time to tab for you friend.. why not just go to sites like ultimateguitar.com? That's one good site..
azzy123
Newcomer

unlike some songs that includes crazy fingerings and massive phrasing, like Freak Show Excess that I am currently working on.
hey me too, it's really not easy :/
Could you send me your work ? (pm)
I'll do the same if you want :wink:
IbanezGRX
Banned

Yeah the sites i couldnt post are *guitarnotes* which when i click tabs they re direct me to *Ultimateguitar* i still cant say the website i just joined yesterday it wont let me :(
seljer

IbanezGRX wrote:Also nice work on the Tender Surrender vid. the solo was amazing you didnt even look at the guitar when you were tapping. you were holding it out.. jesus I wish Satriani was here to teach me guitar like he was for you :)
Those videos for the Alien Love Secrets songs are just music videos, not actual live recordings, he's miming the playing so he dressed up the performance more than he usually could

though the divebomb + hand through your hair thing he does at about 3 minutes is classic :P
Prezidentman

though the divebomb + hand through your hair thing he does at about 3 minutes is classic :P
Oh, you got that right! I always look forward to that!
<Mike>

pr Best yet.... tab the songs by yourself...

if you are as good as you are implying, it shouldn't be a problem :wink:
leigh01

Is it true that when Steve painted himself silver for that show, he had to be rushed off to hospital to get it removed, I just heard this from my friend and want it varified because he doesn't like his music much, so he's probably lieing.
seljer

leigh01 wrote:Is it true that when Steve painted himself silver for that show, he had to be rushed off to hospital to get it removed, I just heard this from my friend and want it varified because he doesn't like his music much, so he's probably lieing.
http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfing.htm

and they tried it out on Mythbusters too

and Steve only had his face, neck and hands painted silver as far as I can see
leigh01

:shock: So it is true.