A New Postcard From Steve

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
fineweather

#31 Post by fineweather » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:47 am

junko wrote:
When we were in Japan for G3 we opened the first show with this piece. I don't know if the audience got it. I decided not to play it anymore on the Japanese tour as I felt it was a personal piece of music that would play better in a full-on Vai show.
I think ...Steve isn't understand the thing of a Japanese fans.
I love his music very much.
But I sometimes occasionally hold the doubt in his comment.
Japanese fans waited for him for a long time as for G3 in 2005 and last year's UDO.
Japanese fans understands, and needs Steve's music.
But, There is a language barrier between us and you.

Therefore, please do not do such writing. :(
Definitely, we Japanese fans are hungry for Steve's music.

I already put my post on the previous page, I would like to say my humble opinion again... I was not only sad but also HURT when I red that line of Steve's postcard. And I was sad as if Steve and we Japanese fans couldn't share the feelings for this beautiful piece of music, though actually we were so moved that we couldn't make reaction soon... I think, as soon as hearing such a beautiful piece of music, no one let a strange sound out (as usual) but it's natural only to clap. Yep, we actually made a thunderous applouse for Steve.

As you know, a lot of Japanese fans (including me) are not good at English, so there are few Japanese members who put their humble opinions on this forum, but a lot of Japanese fans come here, to vai.com, not to post, but only to read. I would like you to remind of it.

Steen

#32 Post by Steen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:18 am

I think it's more about that on G3:s, not everyone goes just because of Steve. There's probably lots of people that goes to G3 mainly because of some of the other guitarists or because they like guitar-playing in general. And because of that, the audience may not "connect" as much.

But in a Vai-concert, everyone is there because they like Steve's music and since he said that "I'm becoming" is a personal song it fits much better there. The audience is probably much accepting and forgiving in a "solo"-concert. For example, I wouldn't mind if Steve stopped playing at a concert and told some stories or whatever but at a G3 most people would probably get irritated :P

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Steve dislikes Japanese people, the song probably just fits better at a Vai-concert(like he said) :)

Sorry for eventual butchering of the English language..

cbr1000f

#33 Post by cbr1000f » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:47 am

Steen wrote:I think it's more about that on G3:s, not everyone goes just because of Steve.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Steve dislikes Japanese people, the song probably just fits better at a Vai-concert(like he said) :)
I'm sure this is exactly what Steve meant.

fineweather

#34 Post by fineweather » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Steen wrote:I think it's more about that on G3:s, not everyone goes just because of Steve.
cbr1000f wrote:I'm sure this is exactly what Steve meant.
Thanks guys, I got another reading.
Now I suppose...Steve was not in a good condition during G3 Japan and he felt that he couldn't express his true feelings and emotions by playing this beautiful piece of music? Humm...if so, I can understand. To tell the truth, I felt that Steve was not in a good condition at that time...because of jet lag or being just finished his RI US tour and so on. But even if so, I suppose he would be better to say "anymore on any tour"...

Well, I would put a full quote here he put on the postcard. (with underlines, added by me.)
I started to perform it on the Real Illusions tour and although I thought it was very sparse and perhaps boring for the audience, the band convinced me that it was one of the most beautiful pieces they have ever heard from me.
When we were in Japan for G3 we opened the first show with this piece. I don't know if the audience got it. I decided not to play it anymore on the Japanese tour as I felt it was a personal piece of music that would play better in a full-on Vai show.
If the bands/artists couldn't feel "full-on" (like Steve said) when they were going to do their shows, was it a tragedy, you went to a show and enjoyed it from your heart and then after a few years the band/artist told that show (which you went to) was sxxk, wasn't it...? :shock:

...oh I remembered what happened to me during the aftershow meet&greet at Osaka (the second day for G3 Japan). First, I stood in front of Joe and shook hands with him. It seemed he remembered me (only at that time...we met at the meet&greet of the day before, also) and he said "Glad to meet you again!" I smiled on him. :) Next, I shook hands with John Petrucci. And at last I stood in front of Steve! I said to Steve that "Today's show was better than yesterday's..." but John Petrucci replyed soon that "Yesterday it was sxxk...(I couldn't remember what he said after it)" and I replyed "ya...(in my mind : Hey I told it to STEVE, NOT YOU!!! :shock: )" with a bitter smile and then, Steve followed in a funny accent, "YA!" All guys laughed. :lol:

Anyway, I still love Steve and his music, and of course "I'm Becoming", too. It'll never change in the future. :)

Bryceybhoy

#35 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am

I think you're missing the point. Steve obviously means he would rather have played the song in front of HIS OWN fans, who understand where he's coming from, rather than a mixed set of fans, some of whom won't 'get it'.
He's not insulting you by any means.
I'm sure when he returns to Japan with his own tour, he'll play the song.

junko

#36 Post by junko » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:43 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I'm sure when he returns to Japan with his own tour, he'll play the song.
So...I'm wishing that :wink:

fineweather

#37 Post by fineweather » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 am

As I posted on the previous page, Steve actually played this beautiful piece of music at UDO Music Festival (last year), at which there were not only Steve's fans but also ppl who had never heard his music before.
(Oh, at his show in Fuji Speedway for UDO Music Fes a lot of artists, who were on stages for this festival; Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains, members of Porcupine Tree and so on; gathered to see Steve's show! :o :) )
I think it would happen that ppl who have never heard his music before would go to Steve's show, at which he played it...

(And I think he played it at all G3 Japan tour shows ...except Osaka...? Sorry I'm not sure of the case of Osaka...but he actually changed the setlist at Osaka. Humm...but I remembered that he played it at the beginning of the 2nd Tokyo show at which the DVD was shot...the DVD was edited as if Steve's show started from "Audience...")

Well, though I've heard this beautiful piece of music at least 10 times at his live shows...I also hope to listen to it at his shows again. :)

Added:
New postcards were added. I was intersted in Steve's experience of meeting with John Frusciante. :)

resha

#38 Post by resha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Here are the last 2 postcards Steve wrote to us guys (thought to post them so anyone who does not check the news section often will know!)
Steve Himself wrote:February 27, 2007:

Thursday is the boys’ birthday. Julian will be 18 and fire will be 15. Having teenagers in the house is better than I thought it would ever be. Pia and I went birthday shopping for them today and I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Anyway, came home and worked on I’m Becoming and Salamanders. Finished the CD mix. Found an interesting little solo that’s different from the DVD mix. Don’t know if I’m going to keep it yet. Have to live with it for a while. It has a little enchantment to it but the DVD solo is so… spontaneous.

s
Steve Himself wrote:February 28, 2007:

Started to work on The Attitude song today. Wow, what a beast.
This is the kind of thing that the orchestra really has trouble with. And it’s going to be like getting a cactus to sit comfortably in silk blankets without tearing them up, trying to get this guitar to sit with the orchestra.
Thank God the drummer and bass player on this gig are exceptional.

The first thing I have to do is go to every recording of this song, match the levels and ambience and then consolidate the tracks to make One session with only the audio from the various takes in it. I did most of this work already so tonight it’s just about getting the session up.

Here goes. I wonder how long this is going to take me.
Happy B-day to Julian and Fire!

Take the time you need to get the work done Steve, I know you'll come up with an amazing pearl; I'll wait all the time needed :wink:

SPQR

#39 Post by SPQR » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:25 pm

yes happy birthday to Fire and Julian are there birthdays on the same day? :lol:

EyE

#40 Post by EyE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:24 am

fortheloveofgod wrote:yes happy birthday to Fire and Julian are there birthdays on the same day? :lol:
Yes they are. :wink:

slash89

#41 Post by slash89 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:23 am

EyE wrote:
fortheloveofgod wrote:yes happy birthday to Fire and Julian are there birthdays on the same day? :lol:
Yes they are. :wink:
What are the odds? :) Happy birthday to the both of you!

Angry Chair

#42 Post by Angry Chair » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:17 am

I'm loving these postcards....!

cbr1000f

#43 Post by cbr1000f » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 am

Angry Chair wrote:I'm loving these postcards....!
These writings are the best! I check the postcards section each day.
Really appreciate this, Steve! :wink:

EyE

#44 Post by EyE » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 pm

slash89 wrote:What are the odds? :) Happy birthday to the both of you!
It can happen. I know two brothers myself who share the same birthday however they do not share the same age. Funny but true. :wink:

litlgrnman

#45 Post by litlgrnman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 am

So glad to hear that Gentle Ways is going to be on the new release!! It's also engouraging to be hearing about writing out credits and photo shoots. We could be getting close...