The Official 'G3 2003' CD & DVD Discussion Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Music Master

Damn, I really wanted the triple neck on the DVD.
At least the setlists are different.
Since I never saw any of the tour, I can't wait for the DVD and CD.
Is it gonna be region free?
Angelina
Newcomer

Satch Boogie wrote: And with the 3 jam songs, well, im probably not gonna watch those. They were great.....except yngwie. He ruined it. God, he needs to learn how to play modes and scales other than the harmonic minor and phrygian dominant!!!!!!!! And his attidute, he needs a swift kick in the ***. .
Please lets not start talkin crap about yngwie again
if he wasnt a great guitar player do you think steve and joe would invite him!??? do you think Mr Vai would call this "Mother of G3's " ??
Just as Steve said on his message to us after the tour , Yngwie brought a spark that G3 needed and made this the best G3 ever!!
YOU may think that Yngwie plays the same thing over and over again
but you have the rights to talk sh*t about him once you can play at least as good at him...
to end this , i think most people who judge yngwie are jealous because they know they would need more than a life time to be as good as him...
Yngwie rocked , just like Satch and stevie
and this DVD will prove it that these 3 gentlemen are the GODS of Guitars!!!
Bono

Theres no denying that Yngwie is one hell of a guitar player. While I definatley prefer Satch and Vai, I think I probably prefer Yngwie to Eric Johnson. I kinda rate Satch, Vai and Yngwie like this:
-Speed-
1) Yngwie
2) Steve
3) Joe

Song writing
1) Joe
2) Steve
3) Yngwie

So it's quite a good mix in my opinion. (If Vai's no#1 at something, its showmanship :) Hes so much more entertaining to watch than Satch and Yngwie put together, although its fun to see Yngwie drunk lol!)
Satch Boogie
Newcomer

First off, all of the songs from satch I already have. (potato head grove on san fran, along with extremist andsatch boogie. Midnight I have from satch tapes) For him, the only thing missing is stary night. For vai, i have juice on alien love secrets, and if Whispering is gonna be on this dvd, i have that already on the astoria. The other two songs I could careless about. Yngwie's stuff I already have an various live and clinic DVDs. The jams im never gonna watch because yngwie ruined them and the sound was terrible. I think that about covers it.
Satch Boogie
Newcomer

Angelina, I don't think you understood. Its not that im getting bored with those licks, cause i like them with shred metal. THEY DON"T FIT!!!! He play THE WRONG modes when he was playing blues and rock songs with them. It was obvious he was using modes that did not work over the chord progression they were playing. The flat 6th in the harmonic minor and the flat 2,3,6,7 in the phrygian modes don't go with most rock progressions. And it just so happens that some of the jam songs they played it didn't work over, so what did u get? HORRIBLY sounding licks that didn't match the chord progression. And he ruined little wing with his cruchy distortion and fast playing. The worst was his attitude. He played louder than vai and satch, and during vai's vocals, he would solo, and just make it sound like shit. And wtf was with him putting his guitar on his amp and leaving the stage when he wasn't soloing while they were singing the lyrics. He CANNOT play with guitarists other than shredders. I'd love to see him with a jazz band!!!!! I know vai and satch could play Jazz, and im not saying that hes not good because hes not a good jazz player, im saying hes bad because all he can play is shred, and doesn't know, or maybe like, playing modes and scales other than harmonic minor and phrygain. Plus he doesn't know much about the whole aspect of jazz when it comes to chord comping, or even in rock as it showed in the jam. And when it comes to playing the right modes and scales and making it work and sound good over a complicated chord progression, well, im pretty sure yngwie would walking away saying the music sucked because he would be completely lost, and would end up turning the volume up all the way and shredding. He needs to stick to playing the same shred and classical music.
MikeF
Newcomer

Not sure if this has been posted but you may pre-order the G3 DVD and CD at

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/cat ... 4&mname=CD

Limited autographed copies are available. Shipping is expected around 2/24/04.
Mr. Canadian

how come there seems to be very little vai material on both the cd and the dvd when compared to the other 2? only 3 songs? that's depressing... surely they could have put 5 songs just like Yngwie and Satch have, just to balance it out. this stuff is like the "Yngwie & Satch Show", with special guest appearance Vai!!! Is 'I Know You're Here' a looong-ass song? Was it tied together with that triple-neck stuff Vai did on that tour?
guitarhero07

The site posted above by MikeF says that if you pre-order the CD, it comes with an autographed booklet. Does anyone know who that is autographed by?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Mr. Canadian wrote:how come there seems to be very little vai material on both the cd and the dvd when compared to the other 2? only 3 songs? that's depressing... surely they could have put 5 songs just like Yngwie and Satch have, just to balance it out. this stuff is like the "Yngwie & Satch Show", with special guest appearance Vai!!! Is 'I Know You're Here' a looong-ass song? Was it tied together with that triple-neck stuff Vai did on that tour?
It was down to time allotment. Each artists has an equal amount of time on the CD and DVD.

That said, Steve didn't really have any involvememnt with the production of the DVD or CD beyond mixing his own audio.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Mr. Canadian

Mikey wrote: It was down to time allotment. Each artists has an equal amount of time on the CD and DVD.
Thx Mikey. I was thinking that it must have been based on time, because Whispering's a long tune and I'm guessing "I Know You're Here" is quite lengthy too. Can't wait to see it, should be very entertaining.
ArnieBall

So........ hmm....
When will the 2DVD set featuring the complete show be released ??? :roll:

Come on ! The DVD should contain full concert , not a few tracks from each musician !
Video from G3 1996 was already disappointing for the same reason... I thought Sony would have done better this time. Looks like it's hopeless :cry:
Brasco
Newcomer

Hi guys. My first post here. I just learned to love and appreciate the works of Steve Vai. Before I only listened to a few tracks such as 'For The Love Of God' and 'Liberty'. Since I bought The Infinite Steve Vai, I bought a few CD's of him and now trying to complete my collection.

I first knew of him when I watched the G3 VHS a long time ago. Then I listened to a few of his stuff on Dave Lee Roth. Watching his G3 performance has really become a memory that just won't go. It's as if all his mind and body energy is all focused on one thing, him playing the wonderful instrument. Sorry ofr the whole info, just wanted to share something. Anyways, I pray to god that the whole situation on the 2 DVD's will come true. There should be a full set on the concert since there's fans out there who really would like to experience the whole euphoric concert.

You the man Vai!!
bob mac

bob mac wrote:Before I even think of a G3 dvd (which won't be released until sometime NEXT year....I want Steve's DVD NOW!!! Then we all can ***** and moan about a G3 dvd........untill then
What did I tell everybody back in OCTOBER!!! :wink: I wish I could pick lotto #'s like this........
RickAllen

I just pre-ordered my "G3 Live In Denver" dvd from HMV in Canada. It came to around $21 total including shipping. According HMV.com it's supposed to be out on February 10. I'm kind of dissappointed that it is not fully loaded but at least we get something.

-Rick
Mr. Canadian

You guys see this yet, a live performance video featuring a song from 'Attack' (click link below)...this is what we can expect from Yngwie for the G3 Live Denver DVD perhaps...

Baroque & Roll Video Performance

Yngwie Rocks! :twisted: