The Official 'G3 2003' CD & DVD Discussion Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Moderator777

Although we're not 100% sure the DVD will be created and released at this time, the news is there will be a professional camera recording of the G3 show during the Colorado stop which will be considered for DVD. This is where you can post all your comments directly instead of having many threads in different topics causing endless browsing.

Post away! Direct all your G3 2003 DVD comments here.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Last edited by Moderator777 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artanis I

Well I really hope there is a DVD...since I have very little chance of ever seeing these guys perform live on their own let alone together.

If there is, I certainly hope (but won't die if otherwise) that it doesn't take the 1-2 years delay to be released...
sword

How long did it take the G3 of '96 to come out on video and CD after they started the tour? It probably won't take as long this time since we now have better technology, but then again it may take longer than the '96 G3 because of the ability to have more "stuff" via DVD media.

(¯`·._.·§wo®d·._.·´¯)
Moderator777

sword wrote:How long did it take the G3 of '96 to come out on video and CD after they started the tour?
The 1996 G3 VHS video was released in July of 1997. The CD released at the same time. The DVD of that show was released in October of 2002.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Im_The_Slime

Seems to me this G3 tour is quite special, i've got the impression it's the G3 tour most people have been looking forward too out of all so far.
I reckon there's huge demand for a G3 album and DVD, so i would be extremely surprised and disapointed if they didnt do it.
Bono

Moderator777 wrote:
sword wrote:How long did it take the G3 of '96 to come out on video and CD after they started the tour?
The 1996 G3 VHS video was released in July of 1997. The CD released at the same time. The DVD of that show was released in October of 2002.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
You sure the dvd was released october 2002? I ordered it in September 2002 and I'm sure it was available a couple of months before that too...i might be wrong tho :)
For the Love of Dave
Newcomer

Here is what I think should happen..
1. DTS 5.1
2. Filmed in HDTV 1080i or 720p.
3. 3 dvd set (full concert)Behind the scence shit on a 3rd dvd
4. 3 cd set (each cd is one G) G3 (like Dream Theater Live in NY)
5. a chance to vote Paul Gilbert in for G3-04 OR
better yet G4-04.
maury

it would be cool to have the complete show on dvd n cd..i mean 3 great guitar players..for me this is the best g3 ever!!
Melodic Dreamer

I hope this DVD will contain more than just 3 songs by each individual. They could atleast have a double disc DVD package. Have one nothing but the songs, maybe about 6 or 7 by each, and then behind the scence and bonus crap on the other.
davester1234

I agree, most of the set should be included for each player, and a disk of extra's would really make it worth our while.

Problem is, it'll cost more, but we all know that guitarists will certainly dish out the cash....there's simply no question about that. :)
|-LoX-|

A 3 DVD set would be really great!
I like the 1996 video too, but I'd prefer it a bit longer (or a lot longer... :) ).

I personally think a lot of people would think the content would make up for the higher price - I'm sure I would! :D
Jai0705

If they're going to do it all, I think it needs to have more content. Behind the scenes footage? Eh, don't care so much about that. It's cool, but it's not why I would buy the DVD. I would buy the DVD to see the concert...that means the whole concert! Joe had it right on with his Double Live DVD. Put the whole damn show on there, that's what people really want to see. Show us the whole set from each guy, and the whole encore with all of them. A few songs from each like the last one doesn't do the job, because they usually pick the few most popular songs, which we've probably seen and heard more than the others. We want it all!
Andrew J Dampier

A 3-DVD set?

Lord Of The Rings (non-extended edition) comes in a 2-disc set, how much footage could they possibly have?!?!

While I would LOVE to see something like that....something tells me the probability isn't high of a 3-disc set.

I would LOVE to see backstage stuff. I really dig that kind of stuff, I'd love to see a conversation between Yngwie and Vai, or whomever might be around...see some soundcheck/jamming footage.
Mr. Canadian

Joe mentioned that they are going to record/release a cd and dvd for the show on the 20th. He's supposed to have a fancy producer on board for the DVD filming and they are going to use 8 cameras etc. He said that the cd and dvd material will be different. He said all of this on that Rockline interview. This is exciting.

Personally, I can't hit the concert because of work obligations (and it kills me!) SO i really hope they can do this and get it out. I would be SO thankful and would buy both the cd and dvd without hesitation. Please GOD, i hope it all works out and happens. I'm praying for it.

Plus, I've never seen Yngwie live and he's supposed to be quite exciting to watch so it would be cool to seem him with Joe and Steve.

My fingers are crossed.

A full concert DVD would be the ultimate, with the warts and all...raw and exciting...it's more entertaining, spontaneous and the urgency of the performances come out better that way, but i'll take anything they can put together.
bob mac

Before I even think of a G3 dvd (which won't be released until sometime NEXT year....I want Steve's DVD NOW!!! Then we all can ***** and moan about a G3 dvd........untill then