ALIVE IN AN ULTRA WORLD: the most UNDERVALUED album.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GuitarStrings

:) I think Alive in An Ultra World is one of the most undevalued albums in music bussines, if there could've been more promotional activities about it, very probably it could have entered in the music history.
I simply cannot find a bad song on that album... each song creats a different mood, which rifflects a different country's culture. Oh certainly, if you want to fully appreciate it, you got to have an fully open-mind when you listen to it.

-"Whispering a Prayer" is one of the most beautiful 7th songs from Vai

-"The Black Forest" is one of the most powerful rock songs to date, although it's not "noisy", it strangely creats a very mystic and powerful sensation with its constantly mid-tempo rhythm

-"Burning Rain" is just incredible, it's so similar to some of Japanese ancient music I have heard but it's at the same time so rocky

-"The Power of Bombos" is not a "song", it's a poetry... I dunno how to say but Steve's words are so strong in this piece

-"Babushka" is a very very very very very well written piece, when you try to play this song on your guitar, you'll know why Steve Vai is a genius

-"Incantation" is a very strange, yet beautiful song. The first part is like some ceremony music, and the second part has a very weird tempo, which I like very very much. At the beginning I was not used to this non-conventional rhythm, but as I listen to it time after time, I liked it more and more, and now I am listening to this song at least once a day

-"Principessa" is an very melodic italian-like song, as I am in Italy, I often face to the window, look down on the streets and listen to this song, the feeling is incredible

-"Brandos Costumes" shows Steve's mastery on acoustic guitar. This is a late night song, and IT'S ONE OF THE BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR SONGS EVER RECORDED IMO!

So what are you waiting for!?!?!? Get out and run into a record store and buy this masterpiece!
wintonsmith1984

It has entered music history but not music buisness history ...
maury

you are right best cd ever dude!!
Dan

That album is AWESOME! I love it.
Octavian

Typical Vai CD...the more you listen the more you hear, and the more you love it. :lol:

Great concept too.
guitar_love

I totally agree man, whispering a prayer send a tear in my eyes everytime i listene 2 it,the way the guitar seems 2 be gaining confidece as the song progresses the 'breaths' . It sounds as if the guitar is gettin older.....

Alive...is an amzin album.i bought it like 5 mounths ago, and i still listen 2 it and here and feel different things from those songs
Carlo de Dios

Fantastic and very ambitious album. Vai deserves a lot of praise for undertaking such a project......definately a labor of love that demands appreciation.

My only gripe is the title....it's kinda lame, imo
Tom

Such an amazing record, and yes, very ambitious. What a generous thing, too, to use the free time on a world tour to concentrate on making new music evocative of and inspired by the places most of us will never get to visit in a lifetime. I think the Ultra Zone/Ultra World band was the best, and everybody shone brightly on that album. It's musically and spiritually a very rich record.
John

Tom wrote: I think the Ultra Zone/Ultra World band was the best
Couldn't agree more! The current line up is to notch and I love it, but the UZ line up was really special.
Jakan

I really love Alive in an Ultra World. Principessa is my fave on it. Great Music.
bob mac

Fire Garden use to be my favorite, But I just keep listening to this c.d. over and over again.....My girlfriend even loves it!!!! :D
Sliver

how come nobody ever talks about "Brando's Costums"??? i believe it could be among Steve Vai's most exquisite soloing and yet nobody ever mentions it. its a beautiful track and it shows Steve really knows what he's doing when he holds a guitar.
GuitarStrings

Sliver wrote:how come nobody ever talks about "Brando's Costums"??? i believe it could be among Steve Vai's most exquisite soloing and yet nobody ever mentions it. its a beautiful track and it shows Steve really knows what he's doing when he holds a guitar.
Hey I do talk about it! and I love it! It's one of the best acoustic pieces ever IMO! If you don't know much about Vai, you will never believe that this piece is written and recorded during a sound check.
The craziest thing I have done is when one day I kept listening to this song for about... emm... 20 times. And still love it as if it was the first time.
John

Brandos Costumes is a gem!
lucky7

This is one of Vai's best albums. It is just a shame there was no DVD to go with the release like Joe Satriani Live in San Francisco.....
The title track would have to be my fave, Whispering a Prayer is beautiful, the whole album is a must have for any Vai fan! 8)