Vegetarianism

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

jake wrote:Why isn't it good for me? If I don't have a milk intolerance can I still drink it?
As long as you don't have a known intolerance to it, then cows milk is not bad for you-but it's certainly not good either! Milk is a food designed for new born animals, with poorly functioning, under-developed gastrointestinal tracts. You're an adult, so why eat baby food? Do you know what milk actually is? Well, milk glands (mammary tissue) are modified sweat glands! :shock: Think about it! :wink:

Apparently as much as 60% of Afrocaribean and South East Asian people have some degree of milk intolerance that may or may not produce overt symptoms in them! The figure is lower in Western people-but i'm not sure hwat it is.
the.hell.raiser

I have started a water fast, I will go on nothing but water for the next 10 days. I have prepared for this for the last three days I've stopped eating meat again, on lacto-ovo for the past three days. So now I begin with the fast. :peace
Seraphim

Big Bad Bill wrote:Do you know what milk actually is? Well, milk glands (mammary tissue) are modified sweat glands! :shock: Think about it! :wink:
Whoa... I'm with the flu and the doctor told me to drink milk with honey... I told the doctor to read this thread... :roll: :roll: :lol:
And after read your post I don't know what to drink... maybe hot lemon tea?
Mammary tissue... :P
the.hell.raiser

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 ounces spring water
With lots of oranges and kamakazes.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

the.hell.raiser wrote:I have started a water fast, I will go on nothing but water for the next 10 days.
Sir, your body needs more than just water for 10 days to function properly.
To each his own, but this doesn't sound very healthy to me.

J
brentm

Jeroen wrote:
the.hell.raiser wrote:I have started a water fast, I will go on nothing but water for the next 10 days.
Sir, your body needs more than just water for 10 days to function properly.
To each his own, but this doesn't sound very healthy to me.

J
I read that book by Paul Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting... after Steve recommended it... I've been doing one day fasts, and have gone on a 3 day fast. The 3 day fast was pretty interesting, but it takes some physical/mental prep work. I'm hoping to work up to a 7 day fast soon...

The thing I found out, is break the fast gradually after 3 days.. I wasn't so gradual and my tummy hurt!
TongueNGroove

Yah but, "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat!". And god knows I like pudding.
the.hell.raiser

Brent, after fasting start off with fruit. Slowly work into salads the next day, grains the next day. Then the next eat more fiber rich stuff like peanuts. That should get you ready to start eating again. :wink:
Last edited by the.hell.raiser on Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

brentm wrote: I read that book by Paul Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting... after Steve recommended it... I've been doing one day fasts, and have gone on a 3 day fast. The 3 day fast was pretty interesting, but it takes some physical/mental prep work. I'm hoping to work up to a 7 day fast soon...
I haven't read that book, but, all I'm saying is that he should be careful, 10 days on nothing but water strikes me as unhealthy, but your milage may vary :)

J
the.hell.raiser

If you read my problem, my body needs a serious cleansing, Then I got to get back on track with my vegetarian diet, no more semi or lacto-ovo. But I will be careful and stop the cleanse if I have to, other than that, 10 days is pretty short.
null_is_one

i am transitioning away from meeeeet.
but i am a barbarian, and a lazy bastard, so for now i have been accomplishing no-meat food by

a. eating indian food
b. eating stuff like raw broccoli which requires no preparation x-cept ripping it apart.
c. peanut butter + jelly

theres not alot of non-tortured foodstuffs at drivethrus (when i'm at work).
and something funny about being a wageslave and eating the flesh of other enslaved creatures.

hmmm.cubicle farming.
(please pass the programmer)

digest. digress. beep.

uh yeah. so any practical tips?
and ps i may continue to eat squid.
the.hell.raiser

Hey, null is one, glad to hear your a vegetarian now, well theres ton's to eat even if you go to lacto-ovo (dairy products and eggs allowed) You get to eat veggie burgers which are better than hamburgers. You can even get simulated ground beef, which is just grouded veggie burgers and vegetarian breakfast sauseges. Basically veggie everything these days.

Check these guys out for meatless meat products :peace

http://www.bocaburger.com/product_meatless.html
Last edited by the.hell.raiser on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
null_is_one

hiya,
well i'm not there yet, i'm transitioning.

thanks for the suggestion. weirdly, i have always eaten those burgers.

ALRIGHT! nachos are vegetarian.

but d'oh, beef jerky is not.

but DONUTS are!
endor

Jeroen wrote:
brentm wrote: I read that book by Paul Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting... after Steve recommended it... I've been doing one day fasts, and have gone on a 3 day fast. The 3 day fast was pretty interesting, but it takes some physical/mental prep work. I'm hoping to work up to a 7 day fast soon...
I haven't read that book, but, all I'm saying is that he should be careful, 10 days on nothing but water strikes me as unhealthy, but your milage may vary :)

J

ten days of water without food is unhealthy

Alex,
brentm

endor wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

J

ten days of water without food is unhealthy

Alex,
Alex, there's a big difference between fasting and starving. 10 days is a far cry away from starving for most of us who live in a supersized nation.

Fasting gives many of your organs a well deserved rest, while shuttling impurities and body fat out the window. However, starvation... when the body starts to tap into lean muscle tissue and organs for energy to survive is unhealthy. The seasoned faster will know the difference.

With that said, research research research! Besides, most people will be physically unable to do a 10 day fast without some preparation (e.g., shorter fasts, cutting out caffeine, etc etc).

:)

Heck, look at Steve. He does a 10 day fast once a year and he looks like a million bucks. He also states that he does a 1 day fast once per week. By looking at him, you'd never guess his age.

-Brent