Vegetarianism

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
the.hell.raiser

I heard from Billy on astoria that Steve is a vegan? I was teaching myself about becoming a vegan and got some books then I realised theres much more to being a vegan. Not only the things you eat but also the things your wear and wash yourself with! To what you sit on and all. Vegan is a really strict lifestyle and I've being a vegetarian for 3 years now, trying all types of vegetarianism and so far veganism is the most strict lifestyle (as is fruitarianism). If this is true, Steve is awsome if he is a vegan for who know's how long and that gives me more inspiration to be healthier.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

He's not a vegan, he's a vegetarian (no meat fish or eggs) but he does eat dairy.

Mikey
vai.com
leigh01

I'm a vegetarian, I never really understood vegans though like not drinking milk :shock: , that's a very important ingrediant to living and keeping healthy. anyway why do you want to be a vegan or vegetarian,
I'm a vegetarian because I believe it's wrong to kill innocent little animals.
SPQR

Mikey wrote:He's not a vegan, he's a vegetarian (no meat fish or eggs) but he does eat dairy.

Mikey
vai.com
Mikey just for personal information what would a typical meal on tour be for Steve , because as im also a vegitarian , shortly i will be starting a new dietiery program and would be nice to get some idea's.

Thanks
the.hell.raiser

leigh01 wrote:I'm a vegetarian, I never really understood vegans though like not drinking milk :shock: , that's a very important ingrediant to living and keeping healthy. anyway why do you want to be a vegan or vegetarian,
Vegan/fruitarian is a lifestyle that I always wanted to accomplish. The strictness of the diet gives me a sence of healthiness and well-being. I also feel that killing and testing animals is wrong and disgusting. I also like the idea of living healthier and stronger. There is downfalls to vegan or fruitarianism though, some people fall into a state of anorexia or experience severe weight loss and lack vitamins that are vital to the body's function.

EDIT: Vegans have many sources to calcium without animal products, some are soy milk, fortified rice milk, spinach, algae, vegan cheese, and tons more.
funnyguy12

leigh01 wrote:

Not saying that being vegitarian or vegan is bad or anything. And not for arguments sake. But arent we in fact animals?

Dont animals eat other animals to survive. im not discouraging people not to be vegitarian. But i know that testing animals for things that they dont need to be involved is wrong.

Is it wrong if u see another animal like a lion ripping the meat out of the carcass of an antelope? If thats ok for a lion to rip apart an antelope? is it wrong for humans to eat animals? If we are in fact animals then we should be able to eat other animals.

Note: its cool that there is another alternative to eating and staying healthy. It is disgusting to test on animals. and they way they kill pigs is just wrong. Im not dicouraging people not to be vegans or vegitarian. and I dont oppose Steve for being vegetarian. i think its pretty cool. But ill stick to steak and sushi."consciously i probably couldnt live without sushi".

Just wanted to say something.

Asian
brentm

This topic is dead. I think we've discussed, debated, and Steve Himself enlightened us on his dietary choices.

I made the choice to go lacto-veg late last year... for a multitude of reasons. One interesting aspect is when tell people that "I stopped eating meat". They start in with "Well, you wear leather, and your car seats are made from leather, and your shoes are leather." For as quiet as I've tried to be about it, it's really caused quite a stir in my cluster of friends/family. I've really made an effort not to judge people, I mean I ate meat until a few months back. How could I judge? But it's like my choice somehow inherently passes judgement on their choice.

Anyway, if you really care... read Steve's statement on the subject. It's well worth the read.

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=570

The thread is rather lengthy, but if you look for the green pick avatar, you'll find Steve's statement.
Big Bad Bill

Like Steve, I too am an 'ovo-lacto vegetarian'-initially through religious indoctrination (my parents are Hindu) and eventually for moral reasons when I abandoned all religious belief.

One reason milk is seen as a 'cruel food', leigh01, is because in order to produce it, a cow has to become pregnant (usually by artificial insemination). If the resulting calf is male it is immediately slaughtered since it cannot eventually produce milk and hence make the farmers profit. Hence the production of milk requires the premature death of an animal and may be viewed as cruel.

Contrary to popular myth, cow's milk is in fact not 'good for you'. Cow's milk is for cows not humans and a significant percentage of the worlds population actually has a milk intolerance. Some nutritionists are suggesting we should not drink cow's milk at all and obtain our protein from other sources (in fact the Western diet is massively protein overloaded-most of us could do with eating less of it).

An interesting point funnyguy12. Animals do in fact eat other animals. But humans are not animals in the same way. We have a huge neocortex that allows us to reason and realise, perhaps, that the act of farming animals in little boxes, pens and enclosures-some never seeing daylight, running in fields or swimming in water- and then killing them on mass could be construed as cruel, immoral and wrong in the light of the fact that we have perfectly viable alternatives. Lions etc is unable to have this thought process because it does not have the 'processing power' to do so, and even if they could, how would they work out what is an appropriate alternative food source?

The Romans believed it was perfectly OK for Christians to be thrown to the lions and be ripped to shreds or be made to sit on red hot iron chairs for public entertainment. They saw nothing wrong in pitting two gladiators against one another to fight to the death. However our level of moral reasoning is different now, and we can see (I hope!) that these practices are in fact abhorant and we would never allow them to happen. Who knows, maybe in the future humanity will look back on eating animals in the same way...............

These are just my thoughts.
the.hell.raiser

Read Steves post and it's exactly what happens to me when I eat meat. Except I don't throw up or have headaches, I have extreme flatulance! :evil: I hate it so I tried a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, helped a little. Then I went on a vegan diet, was hard but helped lot's and solved the problem. Then I went back to eating meat for the past 4 weeks and now I'm in hell :lol: . I have to fast for a week or so to clean my system out cuase my body hates it.
Last edited by the.hell.raiser on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
leigh01

Big Bad Bill wrote:Like Steve, I too am an 'ovo-lacto vegetarian'-initially through religious indoctrination (my parents are Hindu) and eventually for moral reasons when I abandoned all religious belief.

One reason milk is seen as a 'cruel food', leigh01, is because in order to produce it, a cow has to become pregnant (usually by artificial insemination). If the resulting calf is male it is immediately slaughtered since it cannot eventually produce milk and hence make the farmers profit. Hence the production of milk requires the premature death of an animal and may be viewed as cruel.

Contrary to popular myth, cow's milk is in fact not 'good for you'. Cow's milk is for cows not humans and a significant percentage of the worlds population actually has a milk intolerance. Some nutritionists are suggesting we should not drink cow's milk at all and obtain our protein from other sources (in fact the Western diet is massively protein overloaded-most of us could do with eating less of it).

Oh that's nasty the way they do stuff to the poor cows to make them produce milk, I never used my common sence to think of why the cows produced milk I alway thought they just produced it from moment of birth, The thing about it being unhealthy all I can say is that nutritionists seem to get loads of thing's wrong due to the tremendous amount of guess work they put into they'r work, although they are right about alot at the end of the day we are all humans and we all only really have our own opinions about what's healthy and what's not, I was once thinking of being a buddist but there's alot of devotion involved.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

the.hell.raiser wrote:I have to fast for a week or so to clean my system out cuase my body hates it.
Whoaah....be careful there, dude. Make sure you know what your doing because vasting for a week is extremely long...

J :)
Seraphim

Big Bad Bill wrote:Contrary to popular myth, cow's milk is in fact not 'good for you'. Cow's milk is for cows not humans and a significant percentage of the worlds population actually has a milk intolerance.
I will never drink milk again... :shock:
SPQR

Jeroen wrote:
the.hell.raiser wrote:I have to fast for a week or so to clean my system out cuase my body hates it.
Whoaah....be careful there, dude. Make sure you know what your doing because vasting for a week is extremely long...

J :)
Jeroen is right you know man just watch your metobilism and stuff you know, some functions of your body might decide they cant cope or something like that .. consult a doctor before hand.
jake
Newcomer

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Contrary to popular myth, cow's milk is in fact not 'good for you'. Cow's milk is for cows not humans and a significant percentage of the worlds population actually has a milk intolerance.
Why isn't it good for me? If I don't have a milk intolerance can I still drink it?
slash89

jake wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
Contrary to popular myth, cow's milk is in fact not 'good for you'. Cow's milk is for cows not humans and a significant percentage of the worlds population actually has a milk intolerance.
Why isn't it good for me? If I don't have a milk intolerance can I still drink it?
Naturally :) Since we have very limited access to human milk when we get older, cow's/goat's milk is an excellent alternative.

Milk contains vitamin B and vitamin K which are important for keeping your bones healthy. Vitamin A strengthens your immune fuction and different types of vitamin B that are good for your heart and your brain. Drinking milk decreases the risk of an overweight person getting diabetes type 2.

So if you don't have any kind of milk allergy and do not have a milk intolerance, there is no excuse for not drinking your milk! :P