Who played and wrote Ralph Macchio's parts in Crossroads ?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Petie

#16 Post by Petie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Arlen Roth performed the classical acoustic pieces.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/EndArtists/ArlenRoth.shtml

miker

#17 Post by miker » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm

I like that movie... fun to watch.

Really cracks me up every time I watch the end part -- so funny to watch Steve pretend to choke (when you know he can play that stuff with his eyes closed).

TongueNGroove

#18 Post by TongueNGroove » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 am

calos wrote:
If you _look_ at the video, then you'll _know_ Ralph can't play a guitar, and your tab is pretty much there, and the last A note, it's "fretted" on the second pole-piece of the neck humbucker.

peace
cal
Yah, I always found it funny how he hit that note on a 21 fret guitar heh. He would have to bend that E string over the top of the neck.

Then again, it wasn't just a single note, it was more a melody and it did have a choir effect to it, who knows, maybe the Angels stepped in to help :)

calos

#19 Post by calos » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:38 pm

TongueNGroove wrote:
calos wrote:
If you _look_ at the video, then you'll _know_ Ralph can't play a guitar, and your tab is pretty much there, and the last A note, it's "fretted" on the second pole-piece of the neck humbucker.

peace
cal
Yah, I always found it funny how he hit that note on a 21 fret guitar heh. He would have to bend that E string over the top of the neck.

Then again, it wasn't just a single note, it was more a melody and it did have a choir effect to it, who knows, maybe the Angels stepped in to help :)
LoL yeah it's an entire chord and choir ensamble, but what the hey, it's still a pretty good movie.

peace
cal

ChRis #1

#20 Post by ChRis #1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Ry Cooder is one amzing guitar player. His tone is way better than Vai's in the movie. Does anyone know his set up for this movie and what amp he used.
If your looking for a good song with Ry Cooder get Sister Morphine by the Rolling Stones.

RAI

#21 Post by RAI » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Petie wrote:Arlen Roth performed the classical acoustic pieces.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/EndArtists/ArlenRoth.shtml
Not according to Arlen Roth himself......
"Bill Kanegiser did the classical playing throughout...."

(Taken from Arelen's web site, btw)

8)

guitarman13

#22 Post by guitarman13 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Hey, what about the guitar piece that the kid starts playing after Steve drops his guitar and walks out? That was played by Steve right? Because it sure sounds like Steve.

harmony9000
Newcomer

#23 Post by harmony9000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:44 am

I am most certain that it is Ry Cooder.

He plays all the slide parts in that movie and basically all of Ralph's parts are slide. When steve does bad horsie he gets smashed, i think anyway, buy the power and soul of Ry Cooder's slide technique. And when Vai walks out it is Ry Cooder playing.

Schenker
Newcomer

#24 Post by Schenker » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Some sources say that Eugene's trick bag is composed by Bill Kanengiser and Steve Vai.

In others is stated that's written and performed by Steve Vai. But mentioning something about a reprise of Turkish March by Bill Kanengiser

Perhaps Kanengiser plays fingerstyle the first part (the arpegios until the open low E). Or is Vai playing fingerstyle?

Then Vai plays throughout with the pick.

taojones
Newcomer

Re: Who played and wrote Ralph Macchio's parts in Crossroads ?

#25 Post by taojones » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 am

it is no mystery to me the missing link is Arlen Roth a personal friend for over 50 years .Ry Cooder was contracted to do the cuts and Arlen was hired as a coach for ralph . once on set his extraordinary talent was recognized and his cuts were used . the taking over the juke joint scene was written into the movie after an actual event where arlen sat in one night . the duel at the end was actually 3 players one of which was Arlen . he does not use a whammy bar preferring to "slack string" or use his tone control for that effect and generally preforms with only an echo and booster for pedals . Ry is on his soon to be released album https://youtu.be/KQnhNfknb1k because of contractual complications arlen was given the choice of royalty checks or a legal fight for screen credits he showed me a copy of the check. the whole story is on arlens blog on his site arlenroth.com and is well documented here https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/for ... arlen-roth