Mr. Vai's Solo from Whitesnake Tour 1990

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

I love this version of FTLOG! Great improvised stuff.
Ugur Dariveren
Member
Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 5:47 pm

Great video! Thanks for the link!
TongueNGroove
Member
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:38 pm

Steve an EVH fan? I noticed the little tremolo picking part from eruption in there :)

That is a pretty cool solo, I liked the changes between guitars. Steve always thinks outside the box :)

Steve was a great idea for WhiteSnake. JohnSykes was a badass in every way and Steve stepped right in and made the new songs all his own. Too bad Hair Bands were on the way out right about then. Some of my favorite WhiteSnake tunes are the ones with Steve on them.
Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm

TongueNGroove wrote:Steve an EVH fan? I noticed the little tremolo picking part from eruption in there :)
.
Yeah, when Steve was with DLR, they played some Van Halen tunes, so I'm guessing Steve learned a lot of Eddie's material.
guitarman13
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:04 pm

After watching the video like 10 times I just noticed the small part from eruption; I wonder what compelled Steve to use that in his solo?
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

guitarman13 wrote:After watching the video like 10 times I just noticed the small part from eruption; I wonder what compelled Steve to use that in his solo?
Did you read the previous posts? Steve used to play in David Lee Roth's band and played several Van Halen tracks and guitar parts. Maybe he just enjoyed this part so much that it became a natural part of his own solo :)
guitarman13
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:04 pm

I know that he played in the DLR band, but he never played eruption live, because that's EVH's trademark song if you know what I mean.
Mr. Wiggles
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:35 pm

His transcription of Eruption was also one of the first available. It was published in some guitar mag. :D
guitarman13
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Mr. Wiggles wrote:His transcription of Eruption was also one of the first available. It was published in some guitar mag. :D
Ooohhh ya, I forgot that he transcribed that song. My bad :D
mikesgal
Newcomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 am

how did steve handle the "still of the night" solo. did he use a bow. does anyone have footage of that.
User avatar
EyE
Member
Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:50 am

mikesgal wrote:how did steve handle the "still of the night" solo. did he use a bow..
A bow? Don't understand what you mean. Can't remember a bow!
mikesgal
Newcomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 am

before steve joined up with whitesnake, they had that song "still of the night". the guitarist (sykes was it?) played the solo with a bow. kinda sounded like an electric cello. i don't know much about guitars, but i do know i liked the sound. sooo cool. i never go to see whitesnake in concert and was wonderin how steve handled this particular solo.
User avatar
laplaine
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:00 pm

It was Adrian Vandenberg, the flying Dutchman, that used a bow. I saw Steve twice on this tour but can't remember how he tackled that part, don't remember a bow at all thats for sure.
User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm

mikesgal wrote:before steve joined up with whitesnake, they had that song "still of the night". the guitarist (sykes was it?) played the solo with a bow. kinda sounded like an electric cello. i don't know much about guitars, but i do know i liked the sound. sooo cool. i never go to see whitesnake in concert and was wonderin how steve handled this particular solo.
John Sykes played on the album, Adrian Vandenberg appeared in the video and on tour. On the album, the part was played on keyboard. In the video, they decided to make it cute, and had Vandenberg "play" it on guitar using a bow. Most likely, it was played on keyboard live, maybe doubled on guitar. But not by using a bow......

That was just for show in the video.
fiddlemord
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:41 am

I wonder how Steve feels these days about playing to those HUGE crowds. I mean, with DLR and Whitesnake, the crowds were big!!! It must have been so exciting to play a great solo like that in front of that sea of people, who didn't come to watch Steve mainly, but the whole band. Steve had much to prove...and he sure did prove 'em that he's a wizard when it comes to the guitar!
Post Reply