Sex and Religion(album)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Becker Ola
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:49 pm

In honesty, I don't care much for this album. I used to not even be able to listen to it, but it's grown on me a little. It's still not on my list of top albums, but I keep it in my collection because it's a part of Steve's musical history. I think the reason this album didn't go as well as his others is because the compositions are pretty heavy. There are some exceptions (Touching Tongues, Rescue Me or Bury Me, etc.), but for the most part, most of the songs are "Heavy Metal" oriented. Passion and Warfare was a compositional masterpiece that was full of emotion and beauty, Sex and Religion still held that high level of compositional skill but lacked the true beauty of P&W. But, if you really think about it, could there have truly been a follow up album to P&W that didn't slightly disappoint? Sure Fire Garden and Alien Love Secrets were and are great albums, but, for most of the guitar crowd, nothing can ever hit the same note that Passion and Warfare did. I think Steve realized this and wanted to step in a new direction with Sex and Religion to try and avoid the harsh comparisions between that album and his debut, even though it happened inevitably.
-yasi-
Member
Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:51 am

I love the part by rescue me or bury me at the beginning where he talks with Julian :D
Sat Inder Singh
Newcomer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Besides the whole thing wich involves bad music listening, nasty people...
Sex & Religion for me it`s a true jem.
I use to listen to it almost every day in some period of 2002. I actually learn lots of song writing, harmonie and drum writing with that.

It`s like Steve Said " For some people S&R was an important thing .. for others not "

IM NOT quoting exactly..but that`s the context.
You can read it on the notes about the record on vai.com
User avatar
Lyra
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 pm

I like that album,and the great musicians who play in it.A great Terry Bozio 8)
ty2k
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 10:21 am

I love this album!! It ranks as one of my favorite Vai albums. Oddly, when I listen to Vai at work my co-workers who are casual fan or a non-fan(meaning that they are not into that style of music) comment that that is the album they prefer to listen to.
Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm

This album is or was VERY misunderstood. First of all, Devin Townsend is a genius, but some
may not see that, second, this album came out the wrong time, waaaay ahead of its time,
third, this was probabably the sickest lineup of musicians ever. Last, I only started "getting" the
album a few years ago and it has since become a regular in my playlist, it's just so different, heavy and
intense, I just love it. I would love to have some footage from this tour.
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

At first I hated it, years later I loved it, now I think its genius and I agree, way ahead of its time.
User avatar
ClarkyNZ
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am

I blame this album for me missing out on the only threesome I've ever been invited into. A couple of lovely young ladies asked me to 'join' them for an evening in very clear terms, but as I had been listening to the title track at extreme volume repeatedly, I had decided to embark on a celibate lifestyle for 12 months just a few weeks beforehand.

DAMN YOU STEVE & DEVIN!! :lol:
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:I I had decided to embark on a celibate lifestyle for 12 months just a few weeks beforehand.
But as a man you should know that the 'clock' resets itself every time you have filthy sex!? Two women? Next time that happens PM me-I'll be over in a shot.
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

ty2k wrote:I love this album!! It ranks as one of my favorite Vai albums. Oddly, when I listen to Vai at work my co-workers who are casual fan or a non-fan(meaning that they are not into that style of music) comment that that is the album they prefer to listen to.
Probably due to the album being a collection of songs rather than instrumental, Joe Publics musical intellect wants 3 minute verse/chourus so S&R will be more palatable than other Vai albums. Play DLR's Eat em Smile and they'll probably just love Vai!
User avatar
mayuka
Member
Member
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm

I used to not like this album, but a few years ago I picked it back up and absolutly loved it. It's one of my favorite Vai albums. I dunno why exactly it just touches close to the soul I guess. I'm really wishing to see a release of a DVD with this band :)
djhollowman
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:23 am

mayuka wrote:I'm really wishing to see a release of a DVD with this band :)
Yup, that would be very cool indeed!

All this talk of this album made me have to play it now!

DJ
User avatar
ClarkyNZ
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
ClarkyNZ wrote:I I had decided to embark on a celibate lifestyle for 12 months just a few weeks beforehand.
But as a man you should know that the 'clock' resets itself every time you have filthy sex!? Two women? Next time that happens PM me-I'll be over in a shot.
You're welcome to it. I'm almost 40 with kids now! S&R was a galaxy away in time. :)
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
ClarkyNZ wrote:I I had decided to embark on a celibate lifestyle for 12 months just a few weeks beforehand.
But as a man you should know that the 'clock' resets itself every time you have filthy sex!? Two women? Next time that happens PM me-I'll be over in a shot.
You're welcome to it. I'm almost 40 with kids now! S&R was a galaxy away in time. :)
You are almost mature enough to enjoy and savour a threesome now. :wink:
User avatar
cbr1000f
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am

I always buy Steve's official albums and I love them all. So back in time I bought S&R too. I loved it and I still do and I really don't know what there's not to like about that album.
Hmm to be honest, right now I'm in the mood for some Sex & Religion. Thanks for the reminder!
Post Reply