Sex and Religion(album)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
faithplusone01

I got this album for Christmas this year...i knew it was really smashed by the press when I got it, but I love Vai and I had heard Rescue Me or Bury Me and In My Dreams with You and loved both songs-so I asked for it.

My question is-while yes it is very...strange...I dont understand why people really didnt go for it! Fabulous playing by all members of the band, and being my first time hearing Devin Townsend sing, I am THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! one of the best voices I've ever heard!

I mean sure while it isnt purely instrumental like Passion and Warfare, and it gets VERY experimental and unorthodox at times, it has really brilliant moments such as "Touching Tongues"(one of my fav. Vai ballads now!), "Here and Now"(fav. on the cd), and of course "Down Deep Into The Pain" and "Rescue Me or Bury Me". I just dont see why people(mainstream media) didnt like it! Its a great cd!

Can somebody give me some insight here and/or share their own feelings about this album?
ClarkyNZ

I love the tone, breadth of compositional styles, inspirational content, and (of course) the guitar playing. 8)

I'm surprised Devin didn't cough up a lung with some of those efforts!
fyrie

In general the album was before its time, or out of a "time" altogether. Part of it is very forward thinking, but there is a very heavy dose of earnest 80s extravaganza (which I am sure rubbed people the wrong way considering that Grunge was the flavor of the moment). It sounded pretty strange compared to it's contemporaries, however in the grand scheme of things, I'd consider it a diamond in the rough.
another virtuoso

im not a big fan of the album. devin townsend kinda gets on my nerves... thats the biggest problem i have with it.
Bennett

i don't like it either..there are 2 songs on it that i can listen to..the others are just too weird for me..on a completely random note (i just quickly need this answered and can't be bothered starting a topic/searching :D )does vai sing on junkie?

rescue me or bury me owns..
resha

Steve is the kind of Artist who always tries to go further; after a pure guitar album as P&W He tried the "band thing" with some vocal oriented stuff. Naturally being "the band" made up of those kinda guys ( :shock: ) it couldn't ever be a standard "band" album (rock/hard rock/whatever, it just couldn't).

I think most of the people were waiting for another P&W to be released from Steve and so they've been disappointed about S&R; but any Steve hardcore fan knows He's not the kind of person that follows the fashion and who would do what people expect from Him, you know what I mean huh?! :)

He's the kind of man who pushes the envelope further as He normally says!

Back to the album I really love it. I love its tone, quite dark but with some brilliant moments, extremely hard but still really melodic, extraordinary compositions, pure ballads... it's a complete album.

I love Steve's sound too. It was really complex at the time (3heads+rack) but anytime I listen to it it makes me go crazy (powerful bass and cutting high); yeah it cannot be as direct as FG can be foor example, but I really love it.

I must admit it's a very hard album for the ears, it requires much more listens to completly be understood compared to any other Steve's works (at first I had lots of doubt about it, but I kept on listening :) ) and I think this can be one of those reasons why people don't get it... :roll:

Maybe it will emerge in a longer time perspective, and I really hope so; If not I will keep on listen to it and others can blame thereselves :wink:
resha

Bennett wrote:does vai sing on junkie?
Erm... junkie is not in S&R Bennett :roll:

It's from Flex-Able (1984) Bob Harris sings it!
faithplusone01

Another thing I was wondering...what are some of the songs about on this cd? Like "Here and Now" and "Down Deep Into the Pain". Anything in particular that tells about what he was thinking when he wrote any of these songs would be very interesting and I'd like to know about it.
ClarkyNZ

faithplusone01 wrote:Another thing I was wondering...what are some of the songs about on this cd? Like "Here and Now" and "Down Deep Into the Pain". Anything in particular that tells about what he was thinking when he wrote any of these songs would be very interesting and I'd like to know about it.
If you look inside yourself, what do they mean to you? While I enjoyed Steve's interviews in the guitar mags of the time, I personally found great inspiration in listening to this album (at great volume) while being uninterrupted and in a searching frame of mind. :)
djhollowman

faithplusone01 wrote:...my first time hearing Devin Townsend sing, I am THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! one of the best voices I've ever heard!
Totally with you on this one! Dev rules! Check out his solo albums and Strapping Young Lad stuff! Metal with melody!!
Ken Burtch
Newcomer

In order to understand the plight of Sex and Religion, you have to understand the time it was released in. Grunge was hitting on all cylinders at that time, and everyone loved songs of social angst made with raw tones and minimal production.

Anyone left who appreciated the virtuoso of Steve Vai was disappointed that it wasn't Passion and Warfare II.

Personally, I disliked this album when I bought it. But I gave it a few more listens, and it's now one of the best albums I have. It's really an acquired taste, and you either come to like it or you don't. What's more, it exposed me to Devin Townsend who is absolutely amazing.
Vaisnake

One of the greatest Vai albums ever produced! Having T.M. and Bozzio makes it extra special. I respect Devin and his vocals, but im not a fan. Correct me if im wrong but i believe most people disliked this album because of the vocals unfortunately.

I was thinking, maybe Vai could re-release the album. But instead of having vocals, maybe Vai could replace it with guitars, thus being an instrumental album. Then again, Vai has a sense of pride with all his albums and shouldn't be changed... Just a thought
leigh01

Vaisnake wrote:One of the greatest Vai albums ever produced! Having T.M. and Bozzio makes it extra special. I respect Devin and his vocals, but im not a fan. Correct me if im wrong but i believe most people disliked this album because of the vocals unfortunately.

I was thinking, maybe Vai could re-release the album. But instead of having vocals, maybe Vai could replace it with guitars, thus being an instrumental album. Then again, Vai has a sense of pride with all his albums and shouldn't be changed... Just a thought
I'm 100% behind you there except for the replacement of vocals, I think that's what makes it a special album.
HeBoMan

I bought the cd shortly after it came out and I always loved it! I admire Steve for not bringing out a P&W II but trying to come up with something different each new album.
Cheers, Henk
djhollowman

I always felt the songwriting direction (and also the funky bass playing, to a certain extent) made this album feel more dated than it actually is. I think it sounds more like an '80s record! That said, it does have some killer tunes, like Touching Tongues and Down Deep Into The Pain. I always think of it as Steve's most song-orientated album, by that I mean there's a definite shift in emphasis away from guitar pyro and more towards song structures concerning the band as a whole. It feels more like a band effort than a guitar project. You can easily spot a song written from those sessions! And it introduced the sonic wonder that is The Dev, and even for that alone, I for one will always be eternally grateful!!