G3 Eric Johnson DVD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Is the gizmo on Eric Johnsons head simply ear protection or does that serve some other purpose?
acoates

Probably gives him some feedback he can hear more clearly amongst three guitarists playing at the same time than standard monitors.
brentm

BigBadMoFoGangsta wrote:Is the gizmo on Eric Johnsons head simply ear protection or does that serve some other purpose?
Both (I think). I know at the Cliff show, Gilbert was wearing a similar pair of headphones and I read somewhere that it does bring down the volume level. That show was so f'n loud!
Real_Confusions

I heard that EJ struggles with tenitis (or however you spell it), so I'm sure that's why he was wearing them.
miker

RC got it, FTW!

He was experimenting with different equipment set ups for Venus Isle and when he recorded it he was in the same room with the speakers directly in front of his 100W Marshall stacks... which were cranked. So he had some pain issues at the time... the volume of the 3G's at the end was a concern and was a cause of some pain -- he had some hesitation about the tour, but thankfully did it.

The pain he was suffering then has since subsided.