Songs that sound like.....

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
djhollowman

seljer wrote:
djhollowman wrote:
Benjammin105 wrote:I'm curious just how he gets that cat sound on Glorious. I've heard him do stuff like that before, but it sounds like he's perfected the technique! Anyone know?
Yup, me too! :D
http://www.vai.com/realillusions/03glorious.html
fretless guitar + effects (I'm assuming some kind of whack filter/wahwah)
Also, I can only get to that page by following your link here. Why is that? :?
Zebula77

It's an envelope filter, most likely. One that responds to the attack of the pick. I use a similar effect sometimes. It's really cool.

And yeah, his playing on that song is my favourite of the whole album. Really sounds kinda eastern-influenced.
VaiAddict

djhollowman wrote:Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else had a similar story? On first hearing "Glorious", my 3-year old son told me "That sounds like a pussycat!", and I had to agree - I really can hear that guitar sound being like a cat! Wonderful! I played him "Bad Horsie" and he went NUTS! Dancing around the room! I told him what it was called, and now he keeps asking me to play it so he can go loopy! I played it on my guitar, and he recognized it straight away - what greater compliment could I receive, lol!! :D Think I have a wee Vai fan in the making!!
So funny, I always wanted to start a topic like this. My 3 year old son used to call "Glourious" "the cat is dancing!". And from then on he always wanted to hear "the cat" - and every time the song came up he said "the cat is dancing". :lol:

Then I once turned on "Bad Horsie" and without telling him how the song is called he named it "The Horse". It was his favourite song for a while. :wink:
djhollowman

VaiAddict wrote:
djhollowman wrote:Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else had a similar story? On first hearing "Glorious", my 3-year old son told me "That sounds like a pussycat!", and I had to agree - I really can hear that guitar sound being like a cat! Wonderful! I played him "Bad Horsie" and he went NUTS! Dancing around the room! I told him what it was called, and now he keeps asking me to play it so he can go loopy! I played it on my guitar, and he recognized it straight away - what greater compliment could I receive, lol!! :D Think I have a wee Vai fan in the making!!
So funny, I always wanted to start a topic like this. My 3 year old son used to call "Glourious" "the cat is dancing!". And from then on he always wanted to hear "the cat" - and every time the song came up he said "the cat is dancing". :lol:

Then I once turned on "Bad Horsie" and without telling him how the song is called he named it "The Horse". It was his favourite song for a while. :wink:
Hah, that's cool! :D
It's interesting to note that Steve himself actually refers to the cat sound, if you follow the link above in this thread!