Songs that sound like.....

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
djhollowman

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else had a similar story? On first hearing "Glorious", my 3-year old son told me "That sounds like a pussycat!", and I had to agree - I really can hear that guitar sound being like a cat! Wonderful! I played him "Bad Horsie" and he went NUTS! Dancing around the room! I told him what it was called, and now he keeps asking me to play it so he can go loopy! I played it on my guitar, and he recognized it straight away - what greater compliment could I receive, lol!! :D Think I have a wee Vai fan in the making!!
NantucketSleighrider

I once had Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" playing on the stereo at work. And a man came in with his kid, and the kid said that it sounded like spiders crying!
Tony K

NantucketSleighrider wrote:I once had Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" playing on the stereo at work. And a man came in with his kid, and the kid said that it sounded like spiders crying!
What a crazy album...
slash89

NantucketSleighrider wrote:I once had Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" playing on the stereo at work. And a man came in with his kid, and the kid said that it sounded like spiders crying!
Crying spiders, huh :) That was a combination of words I've definitely never heard before :lol:
Zongadude

djhollowman wrote:Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else had a similar story? On first hearing "Glorious", my 3-year old son told me "That sounds like a pussycat!"
My two kids (5 and 8 years old) had exactly the same reaction :)
They often ask me to play "the pussycat song" (meaning Glorious).
djhollowman

Zongadude wrote:
djhollowman wrote:Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else had a similar story? On first hearing "Glorious", my 3-year old son told me "That sounds like a pussycat!"
Sweet! :lol:
NantucketSleighrider

slash89 wrote:
Crying spiders, huh :) That was a combination of words I've definitely never heard before :lol:
Yeah I know, I was a bit puzzled by the kis choice of words! Having said that, the Captain himslf has always said that his music was for women and children!
Shredded Heat

Hmmm... well the bassy bit right at the start of 'Freak Show Excess' reminds me of my stomach rumbling haha
spanishphrygian

My favorite poetry teacher once said "Children say the darndest things." I think that was an astute observation.

I had a Jazz teacher once say that EVH's Eruption sounded like a bunch of "Goobly Gooses." I know he was playing on the words of an other term as well though.

I think what he was also saying is that some times hammer ons and pull offs sound goofy as well you know legato phrasings that are goofy.
Currahee

Zongadude wrote:
Y'Know I thought the same thing when I first heard this song, I guess I must be a kid at heart :D (well a 30 year old one :oops: )
Benjammin105

I'm curious just how he gets that cat sound on Glorious. I've heard him do stuff like that before, but it sounds like he's perfected the technique! Anyone know?
djhollowman

Benjammin105 wrote:I'm curious just how he gets that cat sound on Glorious. I've heard him do stuff like that before, but it sounds like he's perfected the technique! Anyone know?
Yup, me too! :D
djhollowman

spanishphrygian wrote:My favorite poetry teacher once said "Children say the darndest things." I think that was an astute observation.

I had a Jazz teacher once say that EVH's Eruption sounded like a bunch of "Goobly Gooses." I know he was playing on the words of an other term as well though.

I think what he was also saying is that some times hammer ons and pull offs sound goofy as well you know legato phrasings that are goofy.
I'm going to attempt to get the phrase "goobly gooses" into conversation somewhere today! It's just too good an expression not to use! :D
seljer

djhollowman wrote:
Benjammin105 wrote:I'm curious just how he gets that cat sound on Glorious. I've heard him do stuff like that before, but it sounds like he's perfected the technique! Anyone know?
http://www.vai.com/realillusions/03glorious.html
fretless guitar + effects (I'm assuming some kind of whack filter/wahwah)
djhollowman

seljer wrote:
djhollowman wrote:
http://www.vai.com/realillusions/03glorious.html
fretless guitar + effects (I'm assuming some kind of whack filter/wahwah)
Well, there u have it! Thanks. :D