London Guitar Show - Exclusive Steve Vai Masterclass

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Ant711UK

#346 Post by Ant711UK » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:34 am

Cleggy2005 wrote:Who is Phil Holborne anyway? If hes the guy trying flog me effects pedals then he looks more like a drunk tramp then a reputable businessman. Not to say hes a bad effects maker just not good for sticking on stage.
He wasn't the best person to have sitting next to Vai for a masterclass in my opinion. He looked totally disinterested and made no effort to take questions from people at the back.

The whole thing seemed a bit unorganised really. There should have been a guy walking amongst the audience with a mic on a boom to take questions.

It was great to hear Steve talk and play a few pieces but there was a hell of a lot of people there who would have liked to ask a question but there was no way they were going to be heard.

Saying that, I enjoyed the hour or so listening to Vai but people new to him may have expected more.

Tony

Big Bad Bill

#347 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:41 am

Ant711UK wrote:He wasn't the best person to have sitting next to Vai for a masterclass in my opinion. He looked totally disinterested and made no effort to take questions from people at the back.
He's an old blues geezer isn't he? I suppose that might explain his 'disinterest' as you put it!
Ant711UK wrote:The whole thing seemed a bit unorganised really. There should have been a guy walking amongst the audience with a mic on a boom to take questions.
I suspected it might be that way and that's why I decided not to attend. The thing about a masterclass is you have to keep the numbers down for them to be successful, but I believe there were quite a few people there? Also, I assumed it was not organised by the 'Vai Team' or else I would've attended!
Ant711UK wrote:It was great to hear Steve talk and play a few pieces but there was a hell of a lot of people there who would have liked to ask a question but there was no way they were going to be heard.
I think the EVO Experience is probably a better medium for this type of thing.

disaxster

#348 Post by disaxster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
The thing about a masterclass is you have to keep the numbers down for them to be successful, but I believe there were quite a few people there? Also, I assumed it was not organised by the 'Vai Team' or else I would've attended!
Yes it was completely packed and your only chance was to get there right after the end of the first Q&A to "grab" the front row. Forget about getting the mic around though, it was physically impossible!
From where I was standing I can only hear what Steve was saying and the only pics I took (they are posted in the review thread) were taken from the far left side of the stage and it was hard to see from there too!
As far as I know, it was not organized by the Vai Team, but I could be wrong about it.
I believe it was good to bring Steve over anyway and Ruta was also having her masterclass about being a Rock 'n Roll Manager (but I missed it as I only checked the programme once on site and it was too late) but for sure you need an auditorium and limited entries. I was very surprised when we got there at the main stage entrance and there was no one queuing... once inside I found out why, they were ALL already there in front of the stage and all as tall as hell. (is hell tall?)
:lol:

Splish

#349 Post by Splish » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:55 am

salamancafiesta wrote:i'm one of the ones asking a weird question in teh second seminar.

the question was:

as part of your style you have developed quite a number of unorthodox guitar techniques, tricks, weird noises and whamy bar extravaganzas. was it a conscious process and are you still working on creating more.

I just wanted to ask a question and that was the 1st thing that popped in my head
:roll:
That was a perfectly fine question, don't worry! :D

The one that annoyed me was the one who asked about the Les Paul :roll:

Splish

Big Bad Bill

#350 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:07 am

disaxster wrote:I believe it was good to bring Steve over anyway
I'm sure it was worthwhile-I'm just jealous I didn't attend!

Claus P

#351 Post by Claus P » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:24 am

Axemadman wrote:You should have went to the Fox before the show. A few of us were there and Steve came up to meet us!!

What a guy - who else would make the effort. He truly is a gentleman.

Ruta's seminar was also brilliant - I hope to take away a lot from today.

Thanks again to Steve and to Cristin who kept a very good secret!!
I can confirm that Steve showed up at our Vai.com-get-together Saturday morning, sat down and talked with us about lots of stuff. The memory card in my camera went down so I haven’t any photos from then :shock: . (help me out here guys)
Thanks to especially Christin & Nicole (US), Seraphim (Portugal), Andrew/Axemadman (Belfast), Angelika (Polen), Finewheather (Japan!), Sue and her son Reshad (UK) – happy birthday BTW – and Eye and his wife Nila (Holland). Thanks for sharing some great moments during the two days.
And of course: Thank you so much for showing up, Steve (and Ruta) and signing the Ultra Zone book for my daughter.

Only music can gather people from so many parts of the world. Peace

Best wishes from
Claus, Denmark
Last edited by Claus P on Tue May 01, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

S-u-e

#352 Post by S-u-e » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:34 am

Claus P wrote:
Axemadman wrote:You should have went to the Fox before the show. A few of us were there and Steve came up to meet us!!

What a guy - who else would make the effort. He truly is a gentleman.

Ruta's seminar was also brilliant - I hope to take away a lot from today.

Thanks again to Steve and to Cristin who kept a very good secret!!
I can confirm that Steve showed up at our Vai.com-get-together Saturday morning, sat down and talked with us about lots of stuff. The memory card in my camera went down so I haven’t any photos from then :shock: . (help me out here guys)
Thanks to especially Christin & Nicole (US), Seraphim (Portugal), Andrew/Axemadman (Belfast), Angelika (Polen), Finewheather (Japan!), Sue and her son (UK) – happy birthday BTW – and Eye and his wife Natalawati (Holland). Thanks for sharing some great moments during the two days.
And of course: Thank you so much for showing up, Steve (and Ruta) and signing the Ultra Zone book for my daughter.

Only music can gather people from so many parts of the world. Peace

Best wishes from
Claus, Denmark
Hey, Claus, it was wonderful to meet you. Reshad and I were so overwhelmed by the greeting that we received when we arrived at the Fox on Saturday morning. It just felt as though we were already close friends even though some of us had only just met for the first time. I'm so sorry, Claus, that you had to leave early, yesterday. Seraphim had to leave early too, very sad. :cry: Thankyou for your birthday wishes for Reshad. I can only echo your thanks to Christin for everything that she did for all of us during this unbelievable and unforgettable weekend. And, hey, what do you say to Steve?? Thankyou just doesn't seem enough, does it? As Andrew said 'What a guy, who else would have made the effort'?.

Peace to you, too, my friend.

Sue and Reshad

Zeds.Ded

#353 Post by Zeds.Ded » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:28 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what a weekend

Reckless Fable

just at home now (rome)

#354 Post by Reckless Fable » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:00 pm

five days in london was really great for me. especially for steve's masterclass but for tourism too.
i filmed whole 12.30 masterclass, and i want to share it with all.....and i would to see about second masterclass (maybe steve played more than first).
who was 29 april ?? what happened ??

regards for all people on this forum and sorry for my bad english

EyE

#355 Post by EyE » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:56 pm

Here we are back behind the keyboard again. Me and my wife arrived home yesterday evening. We had a blast!! Saturday me and my wife didn't attend the meet up before the masterclasses. We wanted to check out the area where we stayed. When we arrived at the LGS the 1st Masterclass was allready on for about a half hour. We were going to attend the 2nd one when a nice security guy that we spoke to said: "come with me!". We followed him and he brought us to the 1st Masterclass!! He said to us: "just enjoy!". We were speechless!! That was so cool from him to do! We offcourse did see the 2nd MC. After that we met up with Vai.com members. SoHappy, Angelicosis, Fineweather (all the way from Japan :shock: ), LucySorets, ClausP, S-u-e and her son Reshad (was realy nice to have met you Res! You're a cool dude! Enjoy your new Ibanez :wink: ). It was nice to see Seraphim again and the 2 crazy redheads from Boston Christin and Nicole!!! C, thanks again for your gift!! It realy is amazing and thank you for giving that to me!! Thanks!! Got to seeJeroen again for a short while that saturday. That guy was bussy helping out Steve and Ruta.
Went after that in to the LGS and wnet straight for the Ibanez booth. Got the see the Ibanez Jem 20th! The guy at the booth was talking with me and some other dude and was saying how heavy that thing was. Allthough it was not allowed for the public to touch it, he let us hold it for a moment. And yes....that thing is soooo heavy!! Felt like a Les Paul or something. Very cool though!
Sunday at the signing was fun. Me, my wife, Christin and Nicole met up with the rest inside the LGS. That was so much fun even for my wife! See liked everyminute of it! After that we met up shortly with Ruta Sepetys. She is soo cool. She even regonized me (met her before in 2004 at the Aching Hunger show)!!
Later that afternoon there was going to be a small intimate meeting with some of us with Steve and Ruta at the Fox. While waiting some of us (ClausP and Seraphim) couldn't stay long because they had to leave and catch there plains. So only Angelicosis, Fineweather, S-u-e and her son Reshad, Christin, Nicole, Nila (my wife) and myself were left. Steve and Jeroen joined in and we had a nice talk with Steve. He had to run b/c of the bussy schedule he has. But still he took the time to show up (after going to 2 other Fox cafes). Shows how great the guy is.
It was a great weekend and thank you all for making it a great weekend. Thanks Steve, Ruta, Jeroen, Christin, Nicole and Nila for everything.

J :wink:

Ugur Dariveren

#356 Post by Ugur Dariveren » Tue May 01, 2007 2:14 am

I wish I'd be there :(

fineweather

#357 Post by fineweather » Tue May 01, 2007 6:29 am

Hello I'm back from London.

Christin, Nicole, Angelicosis, ClausP, S-u-e and Reshad, Seraphim, Eye and Nila, Axemadman, R1FSR and all Steve's fans whom I met (sorry I missed names...), I'd like to say big thanks to you all!
I was glad to say hello to Ruta and Jeroen.
And...Steve, I could have a nice weekend at LGS.
Much appreciated!

LucySorets

London Guitar Show 2007

#358 Post by LucySorets » Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Well, I couldn't attend the party at the Fox either :?, it's so nice Steve to take time in his busy schedule to hang out with his vai.com friends 8)
Makes me love and respect Steve even more (if that is possible!!!)

Anyway I was lucky to run into the vai.com gang afterwards in our way to the London Guitar Show exhibition!
I got to meet Anibal (Seraphim), Christin, Nicole, John (Eye), Nila, fineweather, S-u-e, Claus, Angelica and Paul (R1FSR). Great people!
(sorry if I missed anyone :wink: )

Friends, it was a pleasure to meet you and see the masterclass with you all.
It's really incredible to meet people that feel Steve's music as you do. 8)

This has been an experience of a lifetime. I'll do it again. I'm still smiling! :D

Steve, you are the best. Thank You for everything.

Lucy

Seraphim

#359 Post by Seraphim » Tue May 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Well well well... what can I say more, after reading those gratefull posts???
That was a great oportunity to meet new FRIENDS and seeing again some OLD FRIENDS that I have already meet when I have been in Holland. Also I can say that I feel that you ALL are part of my family.
We are REALLY only in it for the music!!! Only Steve can make those thinks happen... a meeting of people that are from all over the world and proporcionate a tremendous good and happy moments that nothing seems wrong in one single second. We ALL really have a very happy moments during ALL the time!!!
Was moments like that, that make me feel having hope in the good understanding of the human kind and good sence.
In moments like that I'm feeling very emotical and can't express in words what I feel, maybe the hugs that I gave to everyone express than more that words!!!
Angelica Was really a plesaure meet you and thanks for the good and peacefull moments that you have all the time. Well, your blue eyes say it all, what your interior personality is all about, peacefull person!!! All the best to you and take care with your 2 babys!!!
Andrew Was really a pleasure share all those moments with you!!!
Claus Thanks for the great moments and the good and enjoyable conversation that we have done and for all the politeness that you always have and for sharing all the acknoledge that you have!!! Thanks for offering the beer :wink:
Christin & Nicole What can I say about you? Thanks... not enough... so, no words to describe that... once again my hugs talks for itself... the last one to you Chris was a great energy emerging from our peacefull hearts!!! Was really nice to meet both again. Thanks Nicole for not said this time that I'm a lausy photographer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fini Thanks Thanks Thanks!!! You have push all the emotical person that I have to the limits. I felt so emotical that I have felt a tear in my eye, you know in what moment!!! Good luck with... well you know what :wink:
Sue & Reshad Was really really really nice to meet you. you are ALL so polite and always with some interesting conversation, that I have the sensation that I can talk with you all day and another day and another. Thanks for understanding what happen when I make the list. Reshad... you rock. Carry on with that attitude and good behavior!!! You mother must have so proud to have a sun like you!!! And enjoy your axe :P ohhhh, I almost forget, thanks for the chips :mrgreen:
Lucy, Mary & Dean What a nice surprise!!! You with your sister and brother. Was really a pleasure meet you ALL, especially you Lucy my always happy face friend :P I enjoyed every moment that we spent together and hope repeat it soon in Lisbon! You really have plenty of energie that makes you have that happy face. I know that happiness comes from your heart!!! El sangre latino :wink:
Paul Finally, we have meet :headbang And I'm so happy for that!!! No words can describe the gratitude that I have for having you always on my side and for believing me. God bless you!!! And hey... you always got the best places to stay :lol:
Gavin Really nice to meet!!! 8)
John & Nila Great for meet you again!!! You are always funny as a Leo can be :P and have a safe driving :lol: Nila, really great to have a nice and interesting converation with you. I enjoyed a lot.
Pauldlr Nice to meet you!!! Don't worry, I don't have any problems being tall :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeroen Nice to see you again... and for recognize me too. Thanks for taking the picture. And don't forget to say "Hi" to Sisterinlaw.
RutaWhat a great great great moment. I still atonished and don't know what to say. Great for hearing you... and I was right... I do wanna take a pic with you!!!
Steve Thanks for everything that you have done for ALL of us. Sorry for leaving the Fox on sunday, but I really have waited for the final countdown time to go to catch my flight... you already know, I have lost the flight the other time :x

Hope don't forget anyone, well I took almost one houre to wrote that and it's almost 3:00am after two working days after my arrival...

Here are some pictures, if someone want's to put any blur spot on the face, feel free to PM me and I will do that.

See you ALL very soon

R1FSR

#360 Post by R1FSR » Wed May 02, 2007 4:02 am

Paul Finally, we have meet :headbang And I'm so happy for that!!! No words can describe the gratitude that I have for having you always on my side and for believing me. God bless you!!! And hey... you always got the best places to stay :lol:
The pleasure was mine ..as i said in other post im sad that i didnt get to spend a little more time with you and all the others , maybe next time.

it was great to meet you all
great pics by the way :wink: