Please help a noob!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
djhollowman

Cordi wrote:
djhollowman wrote:Personally I feel Alien Water Kiss is the same idea - I mean, you can't really sing it play it can ya?? Eg, have you SEEN the tab for it??
Yes, it really exists!!! It´s a strange tab and I dunno the English word... in German it´s called "Assoziationsnotation"... very funny!
:mrgreen:
Hi, yes I have the tab book for PAW and I enjoy showing musicians the tab for AWK and asking them to play it!! It's when they get to the bit where they say "eh?...but that bit just looks like a fish....." that I like the best!!
Angelicosis

djhollowman wrote: I'm not crazy about Voodoo Acid...........
why not :?: :shock:

I LOVE this tune :!: :D One of my favs from the album, actually there are 4 following each other Voodoo Acid, Windows to the soul, Silent within and I'll be around, I keep listening to them over and over again...

All the best,
Angelika
Seraphim

Well, I don't like Voodoo or acid :shock:

But I like the song "Voodoo Acid" 8) 8)
Nice selection Angelica :wink:
slash89

Angelicosis wrote:

I LOVE this tune :!: :D One of my favs from the album, actually there are 4 following each other Voodoo Acid, Windows to the soul, Silent within and I'll be around, I keep listening to them over and over again...

All the best,
Angelika
The Silent Within is truly an amazing song. Very spiritual.
Splish

DiMarzio wrote:I belive it is "Radha Soami" Not sure if that is how its written:)
What is that... Because it is in one of the lyrical sections to Under It All on the RI:R album... Explanation anyone??

And for the Vai song i could do without... it would have to be Alien Water Kiss off P&W (noise anyone?!?)... Sisters recues it though :P

Splish
djhollowman

Angelicosis wrote:

All the best,
Angelika
Hello! I just don't get it with Voodoo Acid! I think it must be the lyrics. I really enjoy the guitar work, and I love the bee noises!! Hey, just an opinion y'know? :oops:
I agree with you about the other 3 songs you mention, esp. Windows To The Soul!! I have SOOOO many favourites....I'm so into Selfless Love right now - B.E.A.utiful!!! Interesting point here - how many other Steve songs have NO guitar solos?
So do you have 1 track you could live without? :)
Any other takers for this friendly challenge? :?:
djhollowman

Splish wrote:
DiMarzio wrote:I belive it is "Radha Soami" Not sure if that is how its written:)
What is that... Because it is in one of the lyrical sections to Under It All on the RI:R album... Explanation anyone??
Hi, I found this link by following where my original question was directed to, if you see what I mean??
I think it helps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radha_Soami

Now, would I be right in guessing that Radha Soami is the "secret phrase" revealed on the edges of the cd cases of the Jewel Box??? :?:
Angelicosis

djhollowman wrote:Hello! I just don't get it with Voodoo Acid! I think it must be the lyrics.
Hey, what's wrong with the lyrics :?: I enjoy the song because it's so freakish :wink: and I'm crazy about the vocal part in the song as a matter of fact :wink:

All the best,
Angelika
djhollowman

Angelicosis wrote:
djhollowman wrote:Hello! I just don't get it with Voodoo Acid! I think it must be the lyrics.
Hey, what's wrong with the lyrics :?: I enjoy the song because it's so freakish :wink: and I'm crazy about the vocal part in the song as a matter of fact :wink:

All the best,
Angelika
OK! I'm not gonna argue with you. As I said, just my opinion. I'm not trying to cause controversy here, as I said earlier I just thought it would be a kinda fun twist on the old "list your faves"-thing, but judging by the response this thread is getting, I guess I was wrong...I didn't figure on everyone being so over-defensive. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was simply interested in which songs/bits of songs didn't appeal so much and why. But since you all seem pretty reluctant to do that then I guess we can consider this closed. :? Sorry.
Angelicosis

djhollowman wrote:
Angelicosis wrote:

All the best,
Angelika
OK! I'm not gonna argue with you. As I said, just my opinion. I'm not trying to cause controversy here, as I said earlier I just thought it would be a kinda fun twist on the old "list your faves"-thing, but judging by the response this thread is getting, I guess I was wrong...I didn't figure on everyone being so over-defensive. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was simply interested in which songs/bits of songs didn't appeal so much and why. But since you all seem pretty reluctant to do that then I guess we can consider this closed. :? Sorry.
hey, there's no problem, I'm not argueing (haven't You noticed the winking faces?), I know everything is a matter of taste and it's not that bad idea to discuss the songs that are, well, not favorite, I suppose everyone can find such one...

no need to say sorry :)

all the best,
Angelika
HeBoMan

djhollowman wrote: I'm not trying to cause controversy here, as I said earlier I just thought it would be a kinda fun twist on the old "list your faves"-thing, but judging by the response this thread is getting, I guess I was wrong...I didn't figure on everyone being so over-defensive. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was simply interested in which songs/bits of songs didn't appeal so much and why. But since you all seem pretty reluctant to do that then I guess we can consider this closed. :? Sorry.
I agree with you! I love almost everything that Steve made but I do not find it hard at all to pick a few pieces that I do not really like as much or even prefer to skip when playing the cd. For me it's simple: I'm not crazy about a few "experimental" pieces (find it hard to call them "songs") that are not so, let's say, melodic: Chronic Insomnia, Bill's Private Parts, There's Something Dead In Here", "Whookam", "When I Was A Little Boy", Alien Water Kiss".
Well, there they are! :)
Cheers, Henk
Fatsteen

If I listen "Chronic Insomnia" I can't sleep at night :shock: :lol:
But I would like to be in any Billy Sheehan Private Party :lol:
Now seriously, not the kind of songs that I put the cd on to play only that songs but if I'm listen the intire album I don't skip that songs. Let's say that I have a good master who show me all the Zappa songs 8)
But I DO respect everyone taste of music.
Peace
HeBoMan

Fatsteen wrote:But I would like to be in any Billy Sheehan Private Party :lol:
It's not Sheehan, it's James (according to the cd booklet). And it's not Party, it's Part. You're still sure that you would like to be in any of Bill's private parts? :lol:
Sorry, just couldn't resist.... :oops:

I also respect everyone's taste. We have a dutch saying, literally translated "One can not argue about taste" (don't know if there is an english equivalent as well). Isn't it funny to see that that's just the thing that most of us constantly do? "Us" being not just the vai community but people in general...

Cheers, Henk
Fatsteen

HeBoMan wrote:Sorry, just couldn't resist....
Good one :lol: :lol: :lol: That was a joke too only for fun.
Indeed, is a good think respect each other
8)
Bennett

i don't like: salamanders in the sun. all other songs are awesome :)