Real Illusions: Reflections VS Passion & Warfare

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Splish

Lets cause a stir lol,

Quite simply, which do you think better?

Splish
guitarman13

That's an almost impossible question to answer. They are 2 completely different albums. I love them both in different ways. I can't say that one is better than the other.
-yasi-

guitarman13 wrote:That's an almost impossible question to answer. They are 2 completely different albums. I love them both in different ways. I can't say that one is better than the other.
he said it ;)
resha

Impossible for me to set a better one, but I think some comparisons can be made especially from "time" point of view.

I mean P&W was written at the end of the 80s and even if I was 6 years old when it was released (which probably mean I didn't even know how a guitar was :roll: ) I guess it just disarranged the whole music world as Steve was not a world famous solo artist and nobody expected that kind of alien stuff from Him (maybe only someone did :) ); not that RI:R music was expected in some ways by us, but even if Steve is always surprising us with His new works, in some ways we are used to His genius after more than 20 years of His music.

I mean... we are always looking forward for His new works as we already know they'll be totally unclassifiable and completely new (while for some other artists we already know they'll do the same old and boring stuff, huh?!)

So for me that's the big difference between the two.

In 1990 P&W was unimaginable (as Flex-Able was just a little taste of Steve's vision in music) while in 2005 RI:R -though in its awesome genius and being it a record in which Steve spent so much of His inner/deeper nature as He said so many times- the whole world knows what Steve represents in music today and is drooling for some new stuff!

It's kind of setting a vai-standard, if you know what I mean... in the 90s there was not so much consciousness about Steve's world/music while I think today we all know what it's about as vai-genre.

So no better-worse one, just some time related analysis by me.

I hope I've been clear :oops:
ibanezrg

I like Passion & Warfare better i think.
jam-man

guitarman13 wrote:That's an almost impossible question to answer. They are 2 completely different albums. I love them both in different ways. I can't say that one is better than the other.
Agreed.
Those albums are 15 years apart and Steve has evolved from P&W to RI!
But these two are one of my favourite Vai albums...but then I love them ALL 8)
BSBoy

There's no need to compare, just take them as they are.....
SPQR

two amazing albums my friend :lol: :lol:
Seraphim

resha wrote:I hope I've been clear :oops:
loud and clear!!!
8)
ernzzz

8) i wont tell anything till i listen P&W2 and RI:2 :lol: :P
Taylor

My two absolute favorits would be Passion & Warfare and Alien Love Secrets. So the choise is simple for me...

But back then my world circled around music in a very diffrent way.
EyE

This topic sucks!
Splish

EyE wrote:This topic sucks!
Then don't post anything on it! :P

Splish
EyE

I'm still allowed to say what I think that's what this forum is there for.
slash89

I can't choose between them. They are two very different albums. I love how deep the new one is, but P&W is definately a kicker 8)