How did you find Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
DR5150

I wanna know, how did you find out about Steve, what were your first reactions, stuff like that.

I found out about Steve a couple years ago, I was in guitar class at school, and a guy from it had the crossroads DVD. So we watched a bit of it, at that time I only know the name Steve Vai, and I knew it meant God, but I never heard him play. I kept telling them to go to the Steve Vai part but they were too wrapped up in some other guy. Eventually he let me borrow the DVD, so Steve was the first thing I watched... I was floored, I was like, ha, I thought Eddie Van Halen was the best guitarist of all time. So from that moment I was a Vai fan, but only for a little bit. The first album I bought of Steve was Flexable Leftovers. I listened to it, and I thought, what the hell is this sh*t (sorry), I almost threw the album away. I was confused at the fact that I'm the hell outta here made me think he was god, and his album was made me think he was a lame fool (once again, REALLY SORRY). Anyway, this thought dwelled on me so much, I couldn't figure it out. Later on I became a fan of Malmsteen, and I already like Satriani, so I bought the G3 Denver DVD. I watched all of Joe's performance, then when Vai came on I didn't know what to think. So Steve starts playing, I thought, ya this is ok, follwed by ooh that was a cool lick, followed by :shock: OMG THIS GUY IS GOD. After that I starting buying other Malmsteen and Satriani CD's, and eventually the original G3 DVD with Eric Johnson. Once again I watched, then Vai came on, and I was so excited to see more Vai. I was dissapointed once again, I just didn't like Steve in that DVD so I thought, oh he's not that good. Having realized the he was God twice, and bad twice I didn't know what to think. Eventually I bought the Steve Vai Anthology, which I also became totally obsessed with. By this time I was so confused I was thinking, for gods sake is this guy good or not. I listened to the CD about a million times and came to the conclusion that he was God once again. I watched the G3's again, and liked them both this time, and listened to Flexable Leftovers again, which I also liked this time around, which surprised me. After that point it became a mess of buying CD's and DVD's, and that has continued until today, my point in this, Steve Vai is God, which I'm sure you guys already know.

I just want to say sorry again for saying anything negative I said about Steve, none of these comments reflect my current opinions. I don't hate Flexable Leftovers, I think it's great, not my favorite album but good. I also like all his G3 performances, andother CD's and DVD's.

Anyone else hate him at one point? Or am I the only one who was really stupid at one time. I'm guessing there's quite a few people who were fans for a long time, along with some new ones, so let me know.
jam-man

I heard Steve for the first time about year ago.
I started playing guitar few months before and I kinda hooked up with some guys who also played guitar and other instruments and who were into Steve, Satch and other instrumentalists.
At the time, I was into stuff like AC/DC, Dire Straits and Hendrix so, when I first heard FTLOG, which was the first Steve's song I heard, I was like...O.K....but boooriiiiing :?
As I was hanging out with those guys (and they were listening to Steve all of the time) I kinda started to like Him too...so I bought my first Vai CD Sex & Religion...although my first CD with Steve was G3 with Johnson!
...and after a week or so, I became Vai-adicted!!! :D ...a bit to late though 'cause Steve just had His show in Croatia 3 or 4 weeks before :x
Anyway...not only that my taste in music improved 8) , but my guitar playing improved also...and a lot!
From a guy that's impressed with sounds coming out of his Squier Strat bullet series and 10w Squier amp I turned into a guy who really enjoyes "good" music, seeks perfection in tone and instrument...so Steve helped in that too...and I'm thankufl for that...A LOT!!!
THANKS STEVE!!! once again
Angelicosis

Well my first insight into Steve's performance was also G3 in Denver and it was like a thunder stroke for me, I literally fell in love :!: I started to listen to the cds and I do admit I was confused few times. However I can't say I didn't like something it was more like I couldn't get the vibe. It happened with Leftovers and few other things. Actually I put in on the shelf for a long time. Currently I'm getting more and more into Him and everyday discover something more, wonderful in His music...and it's not only about music anymore.

Stay with us Steve, as long as it's possible, the best - FOREVER :!:

All the best,
Angelika
Seraphim

As a HUGE Zappa fan, I saw a bit of the Palladium Halloween 1981 MTV concert and I was amazed, not only with Zappa but with Steve too. Then I start to listen the Zappa albums with Steve, as long as they are realised. At that time my intuition told me that Steve would be a big musician and a composer too. So I start to follow the whole carrer... till today!!!
My 1st CD was the "Flexable" 8)
And the rest is history... :wink:

off-topic, when I saw Mike Keneally in the 1988 Zappa tour, I thought the same...
al

Joe Satriani introuduced me to him!
maximus

My friend Gary (Hoey) had mentioned him a few times, sometimes as an influence. I sampled "Bangkok" on iTunes. I found it....pretty insane. I bought The Steve Vai anthology and then that day, had a bass lesson, where I mentioned to my teacher that I'd bought the album. We spent much of the time listening to it.

I know when an artist is going to be one of my favorites now. There's a feeling I get when I listen to good music, especially for the first time, that makes me insanely happy in a certain way (hard to explain, but you figure these things out about yourself) that is the best way I can feel. I felt like that when I heard Vai for the first time.

There's a chain of musical discoveries that's happened to me in the past year or so, and Steve Vai is an important link. There's still a lot on my Steve Vai shopping list of albums.... :D
Trinity777

I've been a Zappa fan from highschool Daze.
:roll:
The ironic thing I had no clue back then I was listeing to Steve Vai on guitar. :shock:

One afternoon in the late 80's my brother was washing & waxing his car.
I pull into drivway my car stereo cranked full volume!

I get out of my car, my brother approches me with saying this " You know sis I've looked up to you all my life" "you've turned me on to some excellent guitarist & muscians"

At this point I'm scratching my head wondering what he's trying to butter me up for. :lol:

He went down a list of guitarist that I had no clue that he was even interested in.

He then said to me " sis I know that you will apperciate these guitarist, with out a doubt" He played Yngwe, Joe, Eric, & Steve. I was so blown away!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: After listening to Flexable, I couldnt get the music out of my head.

Later down the road living in NY I go to the local Library and get P&W cd
After that I decided to go & buy Steve's S&R Then Fire Garden,

Since the S&R CD I keep adding to my Vai collection! :guitar

Trinity777 8)
S-u-e

Angelicosis wrote:Well my first insight into Steve's performance was also G3 in Denver and it was like a thunder stroke for me, I literally fell in love :!: I started to listen to the cds and I do admit I was confused few times. However I can't say I didn't like something it was more like I couldn't get the vibe. It happened with Leftovers and few other things. Actually I put in on the shelf for a long time. Currently I'm getting more and more into Him and everyday discover something more, wonderful in His music...and it's not only about music anymore.

Stay with us Steve, as long as it's possible, the best - FOREVER :!:

All the best,
Angelika
Same for me, Angelika, it was the G3 Denver DVD that got me into Vai three years ago. I thought the intro to 'I Know You're Here' was incredible.
At last, a really gifted, serious musician who connects with the instrument he's playing in an almost intimate way. It was like there was no-one else around, just Steve and that triple necked babe, and he was out to give her a good time. :lol:
Seriously though, I've managed to collect most of Steves' solo stuff and, like you, I admit that I have struggled with some of it. I agree when you say that it isn't that you don't like something, it's just that you don't get the vibe straight away. It's like looking at an abstract piece of art for the first time and thinking ' what the hell is this all about'? But then you look at it close up, break it down into individual sections, colours, brushstrokes etc and then you can appreciate the whole thing for what it is.
I began by acquiring the later Vai CDs, DVDs and then worked backwards. Quite a journey isn't it?, regardless of which end of the time scale you start. Steves' music is on a completely different planet to any other music I have ever heard, and his performances more passionate than anything I have ever seen, and I love it :D :D

So, keep bringing it on, Steve. We'll be with you for many years to come. All the best.

All the best to you too, Angelika

SN
Ricardo0

brother al wrote:Joe Satriani introuduced me to him!

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

[[]]
D.R
groom

i heard a bit of passion and warfare a while b4 going to see him, then after seeing him live i was hooked. i dunno if he remembers the gig in Glasgow, it was the one where guys kept shouting "COME ON STEVE" really annoyingly. if you're reading this Vai, you've witnessed Glasgow ned's first hand.

Despite those guys, whispering a prayer was the best musical moment in my life, i only wish i'd experienced every vai song live.
slash89

The first guitar pick I ever bought was a Ibanez Steve Vai signature pick. When I came home I googled Steve Vai and the rest is history.

The first song I heard was FTLOG, an I loved it! 8)

Peace,
Kristian :)
Angelicosis

S-u-e wrote:Same for me, Angelika, it was the G3 Denver DVD that got me into Vai three years ago. I thought the intro to 'I Know You're Here' was incredible.
At last, a really gifted, serious musician who connects with the instrument he's playing in an almost intimate way. It was like there was no-one else around, just Steve and that triple necked babe, and he was out to give her a good time. :lol:
Seriously though, I've managed to collect most of Steves' solo stuff and, like you, I admit that I have struggled with some of it. I agree when you say that it isn't that you don't like something, it's just that you don't get the vibe straight away. It's like looking at an abstract piece of art for the first time and thinking ' what the hell is this all about'? But then you look at it close up, break it down into individual sections, colours, brushstrokes etc and then you can appreciate the whole thing for what it is.
I began by acquiring the later Vai CDs, DVDs and then worked backwards. Quite a journey isn't it?, regardless of which end of the time scale you start. Steves' music is on a completely different planet to any other music I have ever heard, and his performances more passionate than anything I have ever seen, and I love it :D :D

So, keep bringing it on, Steve. We'll be with you for many years to come. All the best.

All the best to you too, Angelika

SN
Thanks S-u-e :D I'm glad there is someone that feels it the same way.

Best regards to You my friend :D
Angelika
guitarman13

When I discovered Steve I figured it was meant to me. I made a post about this. http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... d+met++vai
ibanezrg

me and my brother were at a music store, and he suggested we get something new like Vai :D . so we picked up the Passion & Warfaire album, and i fell in love with his music(my brother also liked it but not as much as me 8) ) & i continued to buy his CD's :P
calos

I remember, think it was 88-ish I was in a bar /club and a music vid of Steve in DLR came on, I was simpley transfixed when I heard him play, I just felt like everything about guitars and music was different from that, all the old ideas I had were now set differently in mind.

I went out the next day and bought every recording of Steve I could find, exchanged my guitar for one more like his etc.. figure I was a complete Vai-head, I found myself taking Steves music with me everywhere to parties trying to convince people how awsome this music was, some got it some didn't some figured I was crazy, and to a point I was, I had a year of Vai-mania, and it changed my life I left my job and went to the MI in London in '95 long story short, well I calmed down a little after that but ultimately discovering Steve and Steves' music changed me or at least my world-view and in turn the direction of my life; that is showed me there where different options.

Figure I'm still a big Vai-head, but I kinda have a full and happier life than I might have had, if I had not discoverd Steve and his music.

peace
cal