Did Steve Do Good in School When He Was a Kid?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
guitarman13

Did Steve Do Good in School When He Was a Kid?

#1 Post by guitarman13 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:36 pm

This is sort of random, but I was just thinking about how Steve use to practice for rediculous amounts of time every day when he was a teenager and now I am wondering if he had any time for school work. So, how did you balance your time Steve? Or did you just play guitar until you passed out every night :D ?

Peace,
Brad

JBeCeDe

#2 Post by JBeCeDe » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:33 am

he cant read / write....

j/k

i think we had this question before but no1 replied

j

renduke

Re: Did Steve Do Good in School When He Was a Kid?

#3 Post by renduke » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:48 am

guitarman13 wrote:This is sort of random, but I was just thinking about how Steve use to practice for rediculous amounts of time every day when he was a teenager and now I am wondering if he had any time for school work. So, how did you balance your time Steve? Or did you just play guitar until you passed out every night :D ?

Peace,
Brad
he use to be such a nice boy he use to cut my grass

it's a Zappa lyric guys and gals PLEASE DON'T email me asking if he really cut my grass LOL

calos

#4 Post by calos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:35 am

I'd guess Steve was a pretty good sudent actually, he's clearly articulate and intelligent, and to know theory and written music is just math really. That and how Steve has been very smart with his money and such, yup I'd say he did pretty well at school without trying too hard ;)

peace
cal

loran333

#5 Post by loran333 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Steve said this , in an interview in a french hard rock magazine
may 2000

I was not very good at school. I was null in English and history, but I was excellent in maths... and music.

Naffis-kun

#6 Post by Naffis-kun » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:11 pm

I was not very good at school. I was null in English and history, but I was excellent in maths... and music.
That's weird.. Steve's English is the best I've ever heard/read. Perhaps he's just improved a lot..
But I've always thought maths and music/arts don't come in the same package. I know tons of people who are extremely artistic but yet they fail miserably at maths. And usually artistic people are good at languages.
Maths/logic and arts are located in different parts of the human brain. You can easily tell which side of the brain someone is using.

davester1234

#7 Post by davester1234 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:15 am

Well, music involves a lot of mathematics, as well as logical thinking. mabye they're not that far apart.

JBeCeDe

#8 Post by JBeCeDe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:50 am

you wanna tell me that you are thinking about complex mathematic situations when composing?

The Wolf

#9 Post by The Wolf » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:08 am

JBeCeDe wrote:you wanna tell me that you are thinking about complex mathematic situations when composing?
If you're writing songs like Incantation

Eutow

#10 Post by Eutow » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:18 pm

I think that anyone can achieve a technic

but creativity and technic, is a wonderful combination.

Rob A

#11 Post by Rob A » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:16 am

The Wolf wrote:
JBeCeDe wrote:you wanna tell me that you are thinking about complex mathematic situations when composing?
If you're writing songs like Incantation
True! I wouldn't say that you need the log function or differentiation whilst playing (unless you wanted to figure out the change of notes over times, dn/dt) . :P

renduke

school

#12 Post by renduke » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 pm

loran333 wrote:Steve said this , in an interview in a french hard rock magazine
may 2000

this does NOT surpise me in the least.
While i would NOT discourage anyone from formal studies, I have found the following to be true amongst both MANY friends and Co workers.
I found that REALLY sucessful people/intelligent people tend to excell in a particular area or two while being weak in other areas.
In a sense I think of it almost as a very very sublimnal type of autistic servant.
I know a guy that can't spell CAT AND can do math equations in 5 mins that would take Einstien 10 mins to solve, and Yet the guy is FULLY SOCIALLY Functional.
I think a lot of schools produce jacks of all trades and Masters of none.
Steve CLEARLY is an articulate speaker and a genius in Music, who gives a shit if he can't spell, or can't name more then 2 presidents prior to Lincoln.

saraht

Re: school

#13 Post by saraht » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:09 pm

renduke wrote:
loran333 wrote:Steve said this , in an interview in a french hard rock magazine
may 2000

this does NOT surpise me in the least.
While i would NOT discourage anyone from formal studies, I have found the following to be true amongst both MANY friends and Co workers.
I found that REALLY sucessful people/intelligent people tend to excell in a particular area or two while being weak in other areas.
In a sense I think of it almost as a very very sublimnal type of autistic servant.
I know a guy that can't spell CAT AND can do math equations in 5 mins that would take Einstien 10 mins to solve, and Yet the guy is FULLY SOCIALLY Functional.
I think a lot of schools produce jacks of all trades and Masters of none.
Steve CLEARLY is an articulate speaker and a genius in Music, who gives a shit if he can't spell, or can't name more then 2 presidents prior to Lincoln.
Wise words indeed.

slash89

#14 Post by slash89 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:29 pm

davester1234 wrote:Well, music involves a lot of mathematics, as well as logical thinking. mabye they're not that far apart.
I agree, but a brainiac does not equal a guitar master. Take Yngwie; he basically quit school at the age of 10, but still he manages to create incredible and complex music..

jam-man

#15 Post by jam-man » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:34 am

I bet Steve was a kid in the last row of the class...the one who spitts paper-balls at the teacher :wink:

I have a friend who's a great drumm player but he stinks in math! But then, drumms aren't art...or are they?