Steve's practice routine

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
another virtuoso

Steve's practice routine

#1 Post by another virtuoso » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:04 pm

Everybody's read the interview of Steve's that says, "it got to the point where i came home froms school on friday, slept till half the night, then woke up and practiced until time for school the next monday. I did this because I had my practice regime written down and i had a list of things I had to get through".
But I have a small question about this. Obviously if steve had a list of things that took him days to get through, there had to have been a lot of stuff on that list. But my question is: What are some things that found their way onto Steve's List most frequently?

Jet444

#2 Post by Jet444 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:21 pm

Hey "Another Virtuoso,"
I've always wondered about this question too. I think to get an idea of some of the important stuff Steve practiced, you should try and find a copy of his 10-hour workout. There are tab copies of it floating around the net but the problem is they don't have the text that goes with it. If you play the excercises you should be able to work out what you're practicing though.
I think some of the main stuff on Steve's list would have being the obvious ones: picking excercises, speed training, scales and modes, theory, ear traning ect. Of course, he also did a lot of "unorthodox excercises that helped him develop his unique approach like making up chords to fit a certain mood or scenario.
I've also wondered about this uestion alot and this is what I've peiced together, hope it helps!
Jet :D

JBeCeDe

#3 Post by JBeCeDe » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am

wow....i think physicaly it wouldnt be possible to do that (for me)

...i never stayed a night up to practice...for me its: i am home from school @ like 14 o clock...i practice till ~24

so its 10 hours.... minus 2 for food and that other crap that has to be done...

hmm i think i am gonna try to get through the whole night today :) (i guess i´ll need alot of coffee)

---------

another point: i dont think its that good...you know after 48 hours without sleep your brain wont be open for "music theory" and stuff anymore....PLUS you dont get better while practicing...you get better while sleeping after practice ;)

j

Vaiagra

#4 Post by Vaiagra » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:43 am

:shock: There's a vivid image forming..

A young Steve Vai.. not yet the virtuoso.. wide awake in the wee hours of night.. practicing furiously.. determination.. patience.. dedication.. frustration.. you could slice the passion and emotion in that bedroom during those long hours with a knife..

And look where he is today.

Inspiring.

:headbang

davester1234

#5 Post by davester1234 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:20 am

hehe working hard pays off

Eutow

#6 Post by Eutow » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:20 pm

davester1234 wrote:hehe working hard pays off
well then i guess most of us are hardly working!!!

another virtuoso

#7 Post by another virtuoso » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:46 pm

yeah well, i tracked down a copy of the 10 workout. it explained a lot of it. it didnt go into specifics, but you get the general picture

Angelicosis

#8 Post by Angelicosis » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:55 pm

good question and inspiring answers from You guys :)
there's also a 30 hour workout that widens a little bit the ideas from the previous version, I have a copy (in pdf) but I know that Mikey promised to publish it at Vai.com so soon it should be available for anyone interested

all the best,
Angelika

another virtuoso

#9 Post by another virtuoso » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:59 pm

do you know which issue the 30 hour workout is in?
i remember seeing it on the newstands and im 90% sure i picked up a copy of it. but, i have many many magazines to search through if i dont know the exact issue.

Angelicosis

#10 Post by Angelicosis » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:22 am

nope sorry :cry: I don't have the original, but the photocopy from a friend

all the best,
Angelika

Warchild
Newcomer

#11 Post by Warchild » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Steve didnt copy anybodys work out, he identified what needed to be learnt and made his ideal routine. This is what sets him apart, even from a young age he new what he needed to set him above all other players. Dont copy his routine, identify your own weaknesses and start from there.

Stephen Brown

#12 Post by Stephen Brown » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:49 pm

I think the best idea is to be an individual in your playing.
If someone can say "hay that's such & such playing." YOur doing the right thing.
Examples:BBking,DaveG,Eric C. Point is they play three or four notes & you know it's them. Same as many...many more players.
If your practise can lead to to that sort of level & type of form then thats the real deal.
Practise though is no where near playing par'say so different approaches need to be undertaken & then incumbented altogether again.
+
For many I'd say that the first 10 years is like..practise..practise...practise..practise...Then it's like..errr What am I'm practising. How am I practising. Direction of practising. Goals. Achieved. Realization that you can't do everything. Then it start all over again.
You build...build..build & then years go by & you see a little one pulling off Master Of Puppets really bad & you then laugh. House Of the Noooooooo

Wow..hasn't time flown.

The you show him the riff & realize how far you have built.
It goes & on & on & on. I'd also like to say that sitting down & learning scales,Arps,etc ends up with you not even really thinking about it when your playing.

Making your own song is practise enough in many areas because your forced to find the flavours.

Practise. Mad stuff & yet fulfilling. ops there goes another 4hours.