Things you wish you had said to steve ...................

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
charliec
Newcomer

He got on the Tom Waits topic wit us inHartford as well.
So I took the plunge and checked som Waits out. Waits is a one a kond artist for sure.
Pif

About his outfit from the flex-able era, you know, silvery boots and leafy spandex stuff:

"Seriously, man, did you walk all day in it? Nobody gave you shit about it? I can't believe you"

Yes, I know, I am a cheeky, petty, miserable piece of a man :)
LoveBlood

Pif wrote:About his outfit from the flex-able era, you know, silvery boots and leafy spandex stuff:

"Seriously, man, did you walk all day in it? Nobody gave you shit about it? I can't believe you"

Yes, I know, I am a cheeky, petty, miserable piece of a man :)
Know of any pictures?
Pif

I haven't looked for it on the net. Otherwise, off the top of my head, in photos from Guitar Extravaganzza and the booklet of the Flex-Able Cd (with 4 leftovers, from a dozen years ago or so, you never really know with Flex-Able editions).
777lovein

8)
Last edited by 777lovein on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
7StringKing
Newcomer

Well, the only thing i would ask him if i could have a guitar pick he used. I wanted to go to a show in Hardenberg (thats very close to my hometown) but the venue let me know it wasnt smart to access it with a wheelchair (im in one) because they didnt have places where i could be placed and still have a reasonable view....so far, due to financial issues and transport problems i havent been able to visit any of the other shows mr. Vai did in Holland. As a result im trying to enjoy my music through the cd's and collect guitarpicks and autographs from my heroes, so that would probably be the question i would ask him. Cheers all!!!
tony2500ie

Hey 7StringKing...

I have in fact got two of Vai's picks...

If you send me a private message with you address I am happy to send you one!

Tony
Dublin
Ireland
7StringKing
Newcomer

I sent you my adress through a PM just a few days ago, and wanna thank you from the bottom of my heart already!!! Vaifans rule!!! What a great community this is!!!
tony2500ie

Got the address...

On the way to you !

Glad to share dude !

Tony
Dublin
Ireland
teddygorm
Newcomer

I can't say that I've met Vai, but today I met Paul Gilbert, and I was dead nervous, especially when we jammed. And everything I played was shit because I couldn't concentrate. :S
I really blew that one, I really wanted to tell him how much I love his music, and that he has done a great impact on my playing.

Well. That's my story. I hope that I'll one day meet Vai, and that I won't be that nervous again!

Cheers!
JamesLimborg
Newcomer

Well... Eddie Van Halen will always be my favorite guitarist... it's his style that for some reason, is my favorite style to hear and play on the guitar. To me, Steve Vai can play much more fast, detailed, and accurate than Eddie Van Halen. Eddie to me plays more sloppy... but it's that slop that he handles so well and turns it into awesome creativity style. A lot of what Eddie Van Halen has created... I can almost accomplish on guitar... but NOT with Steve Vai's guitar soloing. I remember when I started learning the Attitude song by Steve Vai... I was doing GREAT... until I got to the part where Steve Vai plays lightning fast. MAN... WHY did I even START learning it... hahahahaha. I stopped at that point. I tried and tried to get it... but could not come close to the speed, could not hear the exact notes going on in that fastness... ah man... Steve Vai BLEW me away! So... My words to Steve Vai MUST include my favorite guitarist Eddie Van Halen... not to insult Steve Vai... but to share with him my years of passion as a guitarist. I'm 38 years old these days... and back in 7th 8th 9th grade I practiced totally on my own (no teachers) using Van Halen tapes... trying to learn the chords and solos just as Eddie Van Halen played them. I thought if I could play exactly as Eddie Van Halen does... I would be good enough to be famous and rich. But later in life I learned... you need to be 100% original sounding (having your own style AS Eddie Van Halen does, and as Steve Vai does), you need to sound amazing (as they both do), and you are either born with natural talent or not (they ARE, I'm not). So... sad to say... but... that's life. That doesn't mean I give up on music... Music is my passion... so I strive to write music that will someday get licensed for tv/film... and hope to someday once again play for a famous band (In 1991 I played for The JETS, and Ingrid Chavez - a Prince and Warner Bros. project)... that was many years ago.

Happy music writing everyone!
Ultraviolet

to meet the Master,...
wow :)

I have not met him yet. In this temple. ;) lol I feel like my brain has been hit with the "tweak" all my life of the image and experience and quiet mystery of the Man, as Jack butler, from the moment my GodFather had then compared me,..for my own good that is....and said to me,.."When you can play like that,..then I'll say you can play the guitar." I was 11 then. I still fall quite a bit shy of the Turkish March,..not physically but experiencewise. shi% man, wtf v eye bin duin? anywho,..

If I ever cross paths with Steve,...
I would say to him,...

The Treasure

of,

an Endless

Ocean

of Love,...

Lies

Within

Your

Soul...

Behind

the Windows

that Are

your

Eyes

:) :) :)
Enma-Darei

I've never meet Mr Vai, but I wanted to share my exprience and I thought this was a good thread to post it:

As i was leaving the marquee theater, after the show at Tempe, Az; Bryan Beller & Alex de Pue aproached me and my friend and said "Great Show!!" and I was stupified from having 'em so close, so just nodded with my head and when I finally reacted and thinked about asking them to take a photo they were walking away and I was stupid and just left the theater. . . I regret not asking them everyday :( .
And that's the closest to meet the band I'll ever be, since I don't have money to buy any fancy aftershow pass :P :(

as a side note: Bryan Beller looks a lot like my former harmony teacher. . . A LOT.