Things you wish you had said to steve ...................

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
tony2500ie

Guys,

Thought I would open this one......

For anyone like myself who has been fortunate enough to meet Steve and had ideas of what they would like to have said but couldnt come to the crunch.....

I met Steve at Evo in Dublin last October - for me it was something very special as I have been passionate about his work for nearly 15 years.....Anyway, I finally get to meet the guy and had for years thought about things I would like to have said and asked, but when it was my chance to greet Steve the best I could come out with was "eh....hi Steve...." - I was like the bastard son of Beevis & Butt-Head......

So hence this topic.....What I really meant to say was - firstly thank you so much for doing what you do as it has given me and countless others so much and I can say has really enriched mylife.....

Personally I can say that I whole-heartedly believe the world is a much better place due to your contribution..

Just thought I would throw out this feeling to the world to see if anyone else feels the same.....

Peace -
Tony
Dublin
Ireland
Last edited by tony2500ie on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jam-man

First of all - WELCOME!

No doubt, Steve is a great guy, a complete person, I can say! A great musician and what is more important a great person!
He really did make the world a better place, if not with His music (not for all at least), then with all the things He has done (just think of all that guitars He sell for charity)

I haven't had a chance to meet Him yet, and although I would love to thank Him for all that He has done, I'd probably say something like you! :wink:

Rock on!
tony2500ie

OK you guys may not believe this but Steve Himself just sent me a private mail to say thanks for the post....

wow.... I am truely honoured and so pleased I got the chance to say thanks as I think my life would be very differnet without your music and passion ....

Wow.....

BTW I am telling the truth ... he really did just mail me...

(Back me up here Steve)

Peace

Tony
Dublin
Tobacco Road

I met steve this year after the ZPZ show in Toronto Ontario, there were plenty of things i wish i could of said but i was in total shock, i think i said " hi nice to meet you, can i have a picture" i felt like a total fucking idiot after the fact lol, anyway i just wanted to thank him for giving me the gift of being able to listen to his music. Also, seeing and reading what he has done over his life makes me want be a better person. To say the man is a great musician is an understatement. Thanx for everything Steve
GreenMeanie

I would like to tell him THANK YOU in person for what he did for Mariah and last year in Philly when we became sick at his show and also sorry for what I blurted out while hugging him at the ZPZ show in Upper Darby in June. Sometimes my brain has a hard time controlling my mouth. :oops: I dont regret it though!

Joanne
guitarman13

I met him backstage at the ZPZ concert at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. I was so mesmorized that all I could tell him was how I got into his music. I wish I would have told him how thankful I am that him and his music are such a big part of my life. But, i guess there's always another time. :D
Petie

I've met Steve several times but would love to have a proper conversation with him instead of rushed fanboy blatherings about Jems and loving the Sex & Religion album.

I'd like to ask him if he's read anything by Umberto Eco, if he would like a copy of the Tin Machine live boot I have (I read in an interview years ago that he was blown away by a Tin Machine gig), how he became interested in beekeeping (one of my dad's very talkative friends is a beekeeper so I grew up hearing about the little critters), and if he'd join my band as rhythm guitarist. :lol:
brentm

Who's the lady sitting inside the crowd barrier at 2:20?
maximus

I will probably not be able to meet Steve or even see one of his shows until I am 398743924 years old and my dad finally gets off my case!

Well, I've got my mum into him, that's a good start.

If I ever do meet him though, I'll probably piss my pants. :oops:
Dyin' Day 77

When i met Steve i was just in total awe and could hardly talk. I asked him to sign my backplate and a picture and then i said thanks. I was just too shocked to talk. Finally after taking a picture of him with my friend I gathered enough courage to talk to him. I told him how we were very distantly releated and then i said thanks again. I felt like such an idiot afterwards though. I only said Thanks when i should have said "Thanks so so so much your music is the greatest gift to me," and told him how much his music ment to me and just shared with him my appreciation more. And of course before I said that I should have bowed down and said "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!" Ah, if i could only go back in time! :(
cnc74

When I first met Steve I was in total shock. I remember seeing him cross the street to meet me on the other side. He hadn't been feeling well, and he was still in his slippers. He also had a stack of donuts in his hand for Jeremy. But, I remember just staring at him, and thinking to myself..."OMG. It really is you." I had flashbacks of all the years I had been listening to his music and seeing him perform live. And to finally have him standing in front of me.......speechless. Thankfully, Steve kept the conversation going by asking me all sorts of questions. There was something I always wanted to ask Steve, and after a whirlwhind year of following him all over the world, I finally got up the nerve the last time he was here in Boston on the ZPZ tour. I'm sure many of you will meet Steve and on your way home say, "Shit. I forgot to say this or that." There is always next time. Trust me!
C :wink:
strat167

Although I have not met Steve, I have thought of this question. Steve's music has bettered th world and re-created some peoples views on the beautiful instrument called 'guitar.' I really don't know what I would say, let alone if I'd be able to even ask a question to the man who has created music that has more than once, saved me from depressed thoughts. What would I say to the man who has enriched my life with a new found passion for music, and the one who has given to me the joy audio-beauty.

Putting myself in the place, I believe all I would be able to say is "thank you, thank you, thank you!" but I probably would seriously just stand there with a totally shocked face, tripping over the next words that I want to get out being "Thank you."

Truthfully, I do not know what I would say to him, or if I'd even be able to speak.

P.S. I was so very angry when I checked my balance and saw that I didn't have enough to go to ZPZ ... I hate being a poor teen...
Azyiu

I met Steve and had a short chat with him in Dec. 1999, after his Tucson show during the Ultra Zone tour. I remember after saying how much I appreciated his music and all these blah blah blah, I told him he should figure out a way to play in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore!

I told him he has a HUGE following there and I have some personal friends who live there and are dying to see him live... sure enough, he played in both HK and Singapore during his very next world tour. Did I have anything to do with that? God knows, but Steve is a very nice guy for sure.

If I get to meet him again, one of the several things I want to say to him would be, please charge our local promoters less, or we might not get to see you live here in HK again. :lol: A local promoter I know of was trying to get G3 to HK, but he said it was too expensive to do so... :(
KeithH

when I met Steve at the Manchester EVO, I just kind of stared at him, it must have looked creepy but I was terrified, I kept looking and in my mind the pictures of all the times I have seen him play with DLR, whitesnake, G3, on the albums etc, all flashed before my eyes as I thought that guy I used to worship as a kid in 1988 is sat RIGHT in front of me ! Maybe a bit chiildish, but I was just starstruck, and you can never say anything to Steve, because ANYTHING you think of to say just sounds like a dumb, been asked a million times before, silly, obessed fan question when you read it back to yourself before asking it.

In the end I just stayed silent til he does the signing and photos thing, then I just waited my turn and walked up, said "pleased to meet you Mr. Vai", offered my hand to shake, which he did, and I asked him if he could sign my guitar, which of course he did, then I scurried off.
frenchfred

I met steve at evo in clermont ferrand in france and we were 5... but we were badly in english (steve said : "OK, so I speak slowly"). So there was a language fence ans it was difficult for us to have a debate (if only i worked my english at school :lol: ). But steve was talkative and it was :D