I know Steves opinion on File sharing but...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Henrique Henriques

Here are my two cents!

DO NOT DOWNLOAD STUFF YOU CAN EASILY BUY, CHECK OUT ON THE INTERNET, OR AT YOUR LOCAL STORE. FILE SHARING IS STEALING! It means that the percentage that you would pay the record label and the artist, you are not paying! It´s like checking out a car on the street and taking it just beacause you liked it! Buy taking it you are not paying all the hard working people that sweated over that particular job!
So dont "share"
IF YOU DO SHARE YOU ARE COMPROMISING THE GOOD QUALITY MUSIC IN THE INDUSTRY! For exemple... Record labels depend on CD sales to go on. They treat it like a product, you consume it! In order to keep on supporting REAL ARTISTS (like steve) they have to gain money with Crap like BSB, and such other things that have no artistic integrety! The money they make with crap music they use as gain and as incentive to produce good music. (Why?) Because they have the money to take that risk, because they already made a lots of money with "shit music", and can invest in real deals!
But why won't them just produce good music!?
Well that is a very sensitive topic. Because most people in the WORLD don't have a good musical education... The music you hear is the result of the place you live in, your back ground. If you are almost illiterate(*spelling? :? ) you will probably enjoy more simple music, that most of the time has no integraty or cultural value!
Meaning, most people don't like good music!! Most people don't like steve, or John coltrane, or Scott henderson, or Andy Timmons and such things!
These artists are just too complex for them. There music go way over their heads. So they buy "shit music" and thanx to those very simple three chord bands and etc... steve can make good music and send it all over the WORLD!

I know! I am a musician myself, and I know there is a lot of good bands and projects all over GOD's BEAUTYFUL Earth, we are all strugling to get in the market. My bigest dream would be to sell My band's Albuns and make lots of success. Have Steve quoting in magazines prasing us and stuff. But is kind of hard when the industry does not have the money to take that risk on you!

Well another thing I do download...it's wrong! For me it's a sin! :oops: But It's mainly stuff that is bootleged and not realesed. Like G3 w/petrucci videos. But I do hope that sony releases a DVD/VHS video of the G3 with Malmsteen and Petrucci! I'll definetly buy (like I always do)! And if I didn't download "illegaly" once in a while I would have never bought the jeff kollman cd Shedding skin (which costed me here in Brazil $90.00 bucks). The Steve Vai Secret Jewel Box came as $470.00!!! See I sacrifice my money for things I do think are worth it!

And sorry for the long post :oops:
Peace :wink: 8)
F#Minor

Gtdork wrote: most people don't like good music!! Most people don't like steve, or John coltrane, or Scott henderson, or Andy Timmons and such things!
These artists are just too complex for them. There music go way over their heads. So they buy "**** music" and thanx to those very simple three chord bands and etc... steve can make good music and send it all over the WORLD!

I'm sorry but I think that is one of the most pretentious things I have heard anyone ever say on these boards. Who are you to say what is good music and what isn't?
Henrique Henriques

F#Minor wrote:
Gtdork wrote: most people don't like good music!! Most people don't like steve, or John coltrane, or Scott henderson, or Andy Timmons and such things!
These artists are just too complex for them. There music go way over their heads. So they buy "**** music" and thanx to those very simple three chord bands and etc... steve can make good music and send it all over the WORLD!

I'm sorry but I think that is one of the most pretentious things I have heard anyone ever say on these boards. Who are you to say what is good music and what isn't?
A nobody, just like you!!!
But that is my opinion and I dare to say fact! Based upon the reality I live in and see personally every single day!!
F#Minor

But surely music is about what entertains people. It doesn't matter if its Stravinsky or Britney Spears. If they enjoy it and want to keep listening to it then good for them.

I personally enjoy Dancing to RnB in nightclubs just as much as studying Shostakovich in the daytime. To me its a question of value. I don't really consider one 'high' or 'low' art. To me its more about why we listen to it and what we get out of it.
Henrique Henriques

F#Minor wrote:But surely music is about what entertains people. It doesn't matter if its Stravinsky or Britney Spears. If they enjoy it and want to keep listening to it then good for them.

I personally enjoy Dancing to RnB in nightclubs just as much as studying Shostakovich in the daytime. To me its a question of value. I don't really consider one 'high' or 'low' art. To me its more about why we listen to it and what we get out of it.
Ok ! But that was not the point! The point was that we shouldn't download beacuse it hurts the industry, and mainly the artists (being it "vulgar" or not) that we Like. The point also was that Big Record Companies actually get their money from "worst" quality music and with that they can produce artists that actually know music and what they are making.

Funny thing, that the thread came up to this...(thankfully for you too, F#m!!) I have to say that the reality in Brazil is pretty different from the reality in the UK (isn't that were you come from?). Here 99% of what plays in the radio, and appears on TV sucks. Really I am not kidding!! I Speak as a person that is extremly critical (the exemple I used was unfortunate, but it was an exemple that everyone world wide could relate to.) The fact that music here is not taken seriously, and that any crap can be a hit, is the reason I said all of that! You should come down here sometime and see it for yourself. I guess that the education one gets influences so much that one can, or can not recongnize quality whether "it jumps on your face and starts to jigle".

Once I was talking to this older man, he seemed very distinguished, and he asked me what I did for a Livin'! When I answered that I AM a musician he said, "No, I meant really! What you seriously do!" I just got so pissed off that I lectured him in such a hard way that I guess he will never listen to music the same way again, or every time he listens to anything he will remember!

Well that is that! "See ya" Next post!
:wink:
HH
Achilles

Well, to be honest, just a year ago, I was an absolute file sharing freak, and I still shared files occasionally up to a couple months ago, when I was listening to Alive In An Ultra World (great album, by the way, I would suggest all Vai fans purchase it) and I thought "I cannot believe people are listening to Vai's artwork, and not giving him the respect and reward he has truly earned." I felt terrible that people like Vai were putting their heart and soul into entertaining people and making quality music for people to enjoy and they were getting spit in the face by file sharers. I then put myself in the artists' position (I am a musician myself) and thought of how bad it would feel to be cheated out of my money and dignity. After that I decided I was done with file sharing for good.
jacobmhanson

I just have a couple things to say. I personally have bought all of my Vai CD's. I believe if you really enjoy an artist, you should buy their CD's to support them. An argument I have for downloading MP3's is that companies sell VCR's where you can dub tapes. It is not illegal if you buy a VHS tape, dub it, and then GIVE it to a friend. Now is that not what you do when you download music off the net? Someone, originally, had to buy the CD, then they decided to share it with people for free. So is that not the same thing as the VCR?
RAI

jacobmhanson wrote:It is not illegal if you buy a VHS tape, dub it, and then GIVE it to a friend.
It isn't?
It's probably covered by the "illegal distribution" clause....
Sideshow_matt
Newcomer

i think much of the problem is seeing one person with what seems like all the money in the world... "artists" moan about file sharing then go and jump in their private planes so they can swim in pools full of gold in the carribean...
maybe people haven't realised that not everyone can afford to pay £15 for an album.. the music industry could survive perfectly well selling albums for £3 each..
jacobmhanson

RAI,
Let me ask you a question. If a friend gives you something he bought, is it free? I'd say yes. But if you can get me info on the VHS deal being illegal, please do.
-Jacob
genixia
Newcomer

RAI wrote:
jacobmhanson wrote:It is not illegal if you buy a VHS tape, dub it, and then GIVE it to a friend.
It isn't?
It's probably covered by the "illegal distribution" clause....
In that case, I hope that I don't see any pre-Christmas advertising inviting me to "buy" videos as Christmas gifts.

:twisted:
Vailogy777

... Steve doesn't support people trading recorded concerts of his on the internet, right?

But he wants traders to contact them because of his "Morning Thunder" demos??
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Vailogy777 wrote:... Steve doesn't support people trading recorded concerts of his on the internet, right?

But he wants traders to contact them because of his "Morning Thunder" demos??
On the bands page, it asks for anyone who might have a recording of rare gigs from Steve's early bands to contact us. Steve may not have recordings himself, and we are looking for them for historical purposes. It doesn't mean that it endorses filesharing.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
VirtuosoX

VHS tapes were initially introduced so you could record your favorite shows on TV and cable channels that you already pay for. If you notice, on ALL movies that you rent or buy (for those of you who buy them) you will see the privacy act that is supposed to protect the movie from being copied illegally. You know what I am talking about. It is the screen that is black with the big RED writing on it stating that YOU CANNOT COPY THIS THING LEGALLY!!! I think the actual line is " Shall not be reproduced or duplicated in any way without proir WRITTEN consent. VHS tapes suck anyway.

Here is the catch: If you see it on cable or satellite, you don't get that warning. Know why? The cable or Sat companies usually have rights to distribute that media how they see fit, hence your bill every month. Stop being so cheap and buck up for the albums and media gang!!

VX
ArnieBall

Just wondering : If I own the original audio tape or vinyl, what if I download mp3 of those same albums to have them in my PC ?
Same if I own original VHS and I download videos ... ?
Is it legal ?