I know Steves opinion on File sharing but...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
RoadStarII

what if you own the CDs that the tracks you are downloading are off of?
Like if I own Passion And warfare but I have the Answers MP3 on my computer? the reason I ask Is because I have a whole lot of Vai MP3's have almost all the CD's they are off of, I just find it easier then popping em in the tray, And i NEVER burn 'em I just download then to listen to while i surf the net or learn a song.
shader

then who gives a crap?

I personally rip all of my CDs to ~160kbps Vorbis audio

Also, if it wasn't for P2P, i would have never heard Vai. I'm not the kind of person that blows between $10-$20 on a CD if i don't know i'm going to like it.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I don't understand why you would own the CDs yet download files off the net to listen to? Sounds like a major waste of bandwidth to me.

Why not rip your own discs? That way you have total control over quality, bitrate, ID tags etc.

I have much of my CD collection on harddrive. Steve now does also. But I ripped all the CDs down from the original discs (at 256kb AAC).

The issue most artists have with file sharing is the "sharing" part. Storing your own CDs on your own computer/iPod for convenient listening is not a problem.

There's one other interesting thing to note when (illegally) downloading "Vai" material from file sharing services... Many songs listed as Steve are NOT him. I found it quite amusing when we asked people to vote for the "Essential" Vai songs. A number of people voted for tracks like "Beethoven's 5th" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" - just a couple of the tracks floating around there that AREN'T Steve... and there are more.

As far as unreleased music by Steve being on filesharing networks - there is actually none out there.

Download at your own risk..

Mikey
vai.com
oceanmachine
Newcomer

are you and steve big Mac user's? Do ya both have iPods and the such? I beleive Steve uses Mac's for recording, because I saw a G4 in a picture a few times. Awesome!!!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yep. We're both big Mac users.

Steve uses all Mac for recording (with a pro-Tools HD System). He also has a 17" Powerbook.

I have a G4 tower and a powerbook also.

We both have iPods too. :)

- Mikey
vai.com
lydian7

Lucky beggars! :D
(I think the only way to replenish the rapidly depressing music industry economy, is to BAN FILE-SHARING SOFTWARE COMPANIES!! Such as *****-lite, winmx, overnet ect..why aren't they outlawed anyway? What is there purpose OTHER than to break the distribution laws? It's beyond me why they're tolerated, and everyone knows where they are and how to get them, so why don't the authorities pull their finger out off there rear-oraffices and get on the case?)
anuj

umm, HOW do you ban 'em?

the trouble with technology isn't that it's gotta be outlawed for unfair use, but a way needs to be found to work around and with it so that its fair-use is protected. tech is such that you can't uninvent something.

~A
RoadStarII

Mikey wrote:I don't understand why you would own the CDs yet download files off the net to listen to? Sounds like a major waste of bandwidth to me.
just a whole lot easier for me then sitting around and ripping 'em all. And just so you my sharing capabilities are disabled so people can't download from me.
BTW: If the ***** lawsuits keep going like this Im definitly gonna rip my CDs instead of p2p.

The last thing I would want to is disrespect Steve
davester1234

I always found it funny how people can mistake something for being Vai when it isn't...he has such a signature sound! :)
dex

He does yeah and then someone like you does a cover that somehow ends up on my mp3 player and then 2 months later I hear Steve's original and I think - wow, what a cool cover.

You are not allowed to record Steve and Satch covers anymore, do you hear Davester!!!! :evil:
:D

ilia
track7

As far as unreleased Vai stuff being on the networks, well maybe there isn't anymore but a few years back I was able to get tons of lovely live Vai in high quality :D

I would never download stuff that I can pay for...but if steve wont put out a live album then?????

Bring that DVD on please, and mikey just tell us if that amazon date is correct?

track
Moderator777

track7 wrote:I would never download stuff that I can pay for...but if steve wont put out a live album then?????
He has. Alive in an Ultra World is a 2 disc live album. Plus he has the G3 live disc and a video/DVD for that.

And of course, as you mentioned, the upcoming Astoria DVD.

--------------
Dankon al vi,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
shader

Filesharing has nothing to do with the music industries decline. it has to do with 99% of whats out there being complete crap. The fact is, the people who do the most P2P downloading are the ones who wouldn't buy the CD anyways - they'd either just burn it from a friend, or make a tape, or whatever. All the people i know that bought lots of CDs before P2P came along still buy a lot of CDs, and download very little.

Personally, i like to download music to give an artist a try, then start buying there CDs - I have about a dozen Vai mp3s, and I now own the 7th Song ep, and am going to get P&W and Fire Garden when I find a store with them in stock, then i'll probably buy ALS after that. Like I said before, if I didn't have the ability to get a good sample of a musician's music (and 30 second clips don't count as a 'good sample'), I would just ignore it - I don't have tons of money to throw at CDs that I may or may not like.

The main legal problem with P2P is it is a very grey area - under law, it isn't technically "stealing", as you aren't depriving anyone of any physical property. Also, any "revenue losses" the industry puts out are nothing but wild guesses (not even 'educated guesses'). You can't make any informed decision on how many people downloaded how many songs by x artist, and you can't prove that those people would have bought the album in the first place.

As far as "banning companies", that is simply not possible - ***** (Sharman networks IIRC) is a non-Us company. Gnutella is a decentralized network where there IS NO company or server to shut down. Freenet is an encrypted network, so there is no way to tell who the parties involved in a transaction are.

Ok, this is getting quite long, i'll stop now before i go off on more of a rant.
davester1234

dex wrote:He does yeah and then someone like you does a cover that somehow ends up on my mp3 player and then 2 months later I hear Steve's original and I think - wow, what a cool cover.

You are not allowed to record Steve and Satch covers anymore, do you hear Davester!!!! :evil:

ilia
Ilia, your too kind my man, too kind. Thank you.
:)

[Now you can tell everyone how much I paid you to say that!!] :wink: :lol:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

shader wrote:Filesharing has nothing to do with the music industries decline. it has to do with 99% of whats out there being complete crap.
Well, if your musical taste is informed by the lowest common denominator, and you bend easily to product saturation marketed on MTV and commercial radio, then perhaps you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Stil, I don't think it's a solid argument or an excuse for stealing.

I have hundreds of CDs and less that 1% are CDs that I would probably not listen to again. Many of them date back to BEFORE filesharing.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com