What brought you to the guitar?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Oliver_Reed

For me, my first memory was seeing the guitarist from "Sweet" playing on Top of The Pops and thinking - yeah, I wanna do that!

After that, My Dad bought me a cheap and nasty guitar because I whined so much; after that I took classical lessons and got really enthusiastic about it. So then my Dad bought me a proper classical guitar and I studied up until grade 5.

When I got my first job, someone played me "A whole lotta Rosie" one day. So I put the classical guitar away and bought a Strat copy and a Marshall amp and joined a band, doing AC/DC covers. The lead guitarist was into this cool guy called "Satriani" and so lent me a tape of "Surfing with the Alien"

Inspired by that I bought an Ibanez (550) and took lessons from a guy who introduced me to an album called "Eat 'em and Smile".

The rest...you can probably guess. :D

Ollie.
Reaper

Three words: Master of Puppets

(the S&M version)
shader

I had no desire to play. My parents bought me a cheap guitar/amp combo for Christmas 2000 (A Crate fat strat copy), so i said 'well, i might as well learn to play this'... i then discovered improvised lead (read: blues) and got addicted :twisted:

Interestingly, i used to listen to a lot of pop/rap/"rock" crap, then a month or two after getting my guitar, my tastes drastically changed to detest all of such things :)
RickAllen

Yngwie Malmsteen's Marching Out. I had a guitar with 5 strings but it just sat in the corner 'til I heard that recording. I still suck, but sometimes It sounds o.k. I am finally going to see the man in Nov. WooHooo!!!
SS

Short answer: my Dad.

Long answer:
Growing up, I'd be around while the adults gathered and they had sing-songs of tunes that I would later understand to be stuff by Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Ronnie Hawkins, etc. We would go camping, and some of the same friends would be camped in the same park, and they'd gather around the campfire and do the same sort of thing. It seemed fun, and the whole while, there was my Dad strumming accompaniment on his trusted old Gibson acoustic.
The whole while, I guess I was absorbing it, even though I was just going about my own business, more interested in roasing marshmallows than songs...
But I was interested, and eventually my Dad began showing me some chords - to this day, I can remember how /painful/ fingering an F chord was... difficult to get to ring true. And then eventually we graduated to bar-chords. That also was difficult. I didn't know at the time, too, that I was beginning an interesting struggle with rather small hands combined with short, thick fingers. But, I had the framework, and time came when I was beginning to be able to participate in the sing-alongs - either I instinctively knew the songs from hearing them at previous campfires, or else Dad simply was near enough to show me (if we had a second instrument there) or call to me the chord changes...
I just sort of took off from there, having a reasonable facility for learning by ear and such.
They got me a Tele copy eventually, and in school I made a new Tele body from mahogany, and put that together gradually piece by piece as I could acquire them. When that was done weeks later, I undertook covering it in a synthetic leather, which I carved and stitched to look like Waylon Jennings' trademark Tele(s) - eventually, I gifted my father with this guitar, which he still can be coaxed to take out on occasion.
badhorsie551

when i was 14 about to turn 15 after being caught by my parents multiple times singing along and air strumming to nirvana and metallica songs, my dad finally busted out his old squier strat for me.

i started in like march of 97 and i had an issue of guitar world with a nirvana tab in it and i sat down for a week trying to play it, after i figured it out i played it for my friend and he bought a guitar that day!

all i did that whole summer was "try" to play nirvana and metallica tunes.

but essiential the person that made me play guitar was kurt cobain, everyone that hears me play asks me and is surprised by my answer since i dont really play like that. im real flashy and play fast stuff lol.
The Prez

Was bored, so my parents bought me an acoustic, but it was satch who made me by my first electric, Surfing with the Alien was sweosme.
lucky7

For me it was Flying in a blue dream by Joe Satriani which was followed by listening to all his music and then picking up an album by a guy called Vai.

Unfortunately for me it would be another ten years before I would purchase a guitar and actually get the gist of the instrument.

I have a few guitar books now but I still don't feel good enough to have lessons, a stupid sense of insecurity, how dumb does that sound?!
I think I will be on my 'L' plates for a longtime yet.

But I will persevere and eventually play if not just in my dreams! :)
Tony

After hearing David Gilmour's incredible solo on Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2, I said to myself:
"I'm not gonna try to play the guitar...I WILL play the guitar!"
And so the story goes... :wink:
eyebnez

Actually one of my friends let me hear Flexable and that done it for me. :)
SPDMTL

Back in the 10th grade (about 1982) some friends of mine that I'd met through school a couple months earlier were wondering where they could
have a little jam session. I said "You guys play guitar! COOL! :lol: , my parents aren't home this afternoon, come on by and crank it up!" So three guys had guitars with practice amps and off we went. After awhile they were
like hey you want to check out my guitar and I said no thanks I can't play.
After about 20min. of them asking me if I wanted to try I said mmmm OK.
A couple of the other guys were still playing when I picked up my buddies
Aria Pro Les Paul copy. I noodled around with it for a few minutes, I didn't
know any chords, so I started doing Eddie VanHalen hammer-ons! My
buds freaked! They were like, dude B^&*SH*& :twisted: don't tell me you've never played before! :x I said, nope never even picked one up 'till today. So I learned a couple chords after that and about 2 months later my Mom
bought me a piece of junk acoustic from the flea market for $10. :cry: It had horrible , I mean HORRIBLE action. I kept playing it for about 6 months
untill I could afford an electric( Ibanez Destroyer :wink: ). That acoustic helped me get good technique while I was learning my chords and scales.
Anywho the rest is history. I haven't been away from the guitar for more than 6 months since that first day. :D
The Prez

lucky7 wrote:For me it was Flying in a blue dream by Joe Satriani which was followed by listening to all his music and then picking up an album by a guy called Vai.

Unfortunately for me it would be another ten years before I would purchase a guitar and actually get the gist of the instrument.

I have a few guitar books now but I still don't feel good enough to have lessons, a stupid sense of insecurity, how dumb does that sound?!
I think I will be on my 'L' plates for a longtime yet.

But I will persevere and eventually play if not just in my dreams! :)
Get the lessons, you can't be not good enough, thats the point of the lesson, and FIABD album was awesome!
jesse sutton

My best friend got one so i had to get one.

We always discuss how we could rule the world with making music, so picking up the guitar seemed to be the logical thing to do, since all cool rock stars had them.

I got a shitty classical and had my friend teach me the chords. Then i got the internet, bought an old ibanez i found at a shop and learned everythign else from the net.

I first heard Vai from the Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack, playing the Reaper, which me and my friend are still obsessed with to this day, (the movie and the song.)
ShredGod777

Thats easy....... "Eruption".
Reaper

jesse sutton wrote:I first heard Vai from the Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack, playing the Reaper, which me and my friend are still obsessed with to this day, (the movie and the song.)
:twisted:

Gotta love that song... :wink: