How to turn people onto Vai?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Junebughunter

I have successfully turned about 10 people onto Vai to the point they buy albums of there own. It is hard work but somebody has to try.

Really if they don't play intruments it is almost impossible to get a teenager to like Vai or such types of music
Kristaps
Newcomer

Once I was some kinda of homework in school where we must to make something about our lovest things...of course for me it was guitar music...bla bla bla and gues what! After audio (Steve, Satch, ...) preview all the comercial music lovers asked me to give them some of that stuff... :wink:
Vaibanez5150

Man, All i can say is if they don't get it, then they are tone deaf!

Let them listen to there Mtv crap, kakk! retch! gurgle gurgle! Spew!

There just to brain dead to comprehend excellent soundscapes such as Vai.

:evil: Although some people can be saved with a little care & time, but don't hold your breath with the morons that think blink 182 is god. lol

Even if they don't get vai, there is so much there to catch your ear, how can you not @ least find 1 thing to like if not all of it. :roll:

But then again i know a guy who thinks the beatles sucked and vai is good! lol Go figure! ?
Last edited by Vaibanez5150 on Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shader

yeah, people who don't enjoy instrumental guitar rock are so stupid, why don't we just grab a copy of P&W and a shotgun and purge society of idiocy?
jmchambers5

Lets not forget that the world isn't divided strictly into Vai loving music freaks and MTV pop lovers. there's all kinds of people out there that have great taste in music, but dont like Vai. There's jazz guys that dont like Vai, there's classical musicians that don't like Vai, there's classic rock fans that don't like Vai, there's modern musicians that dont suck that don't like Vai. I like Vai, but just because someone doesn't like Vai doesn't mean they're automatically MTV tasteless rolling stone hipsters that just use music as a form of fashion and not a form of expression or art.
vaiman
Newcomer

Actually, Have Steve Vai play at the next Amway convention..(kidding
of course)..

BUT Mr. Vai's music hits me on another level. It truly shows through
to many people I come in contact with. My passion for music and his music makes me that devoted fan.

I do understand not everyone 'understands' Vai's music first time around.
Not everyone 'gets it'. It's the musicanship that thrives.

see ya,

todd
vaiman7@hotmail.com
Super_Pools
Newcomer

i showed my mate a live version of tender surrender and he couldn't believe his eyes.
why do so many people these days prefer to listen to stuff like rave and dance instead of rock? whenever i mention artists like RATM i get called a goth. But what really scares me is the same happens with vai and satch. how does that work?? i'm a goth cos i listen 2 vai?? rrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttt

BTW tom morello is a cool guitarist. oh, n listen 2 belly dancer by joe satriani. i luv that song
shader

wtf?? what's "goth" about RATM? the only people that would think that are wiggers with IQs less than 80
Super_Pools
Newcomer

thanks shader. there are 2 many chors out there hu wont listen 2 music that aint mixed on turntables
Drewster

I've turned some people onto Vai and I know alot of other people who think Vai's music "sucks". I personally disagree with them but you can't really force someone to like something if they don't like it.
The Prez

Drewster wrote:I've turned some people onto Vai and I know alot of other people who think Vai's music "sucks". I personally disagree with them but you can't really force someone to like something if they don't like it.

That's why I gave out more Satriani, I feel he's more mainstreem, people usually say,"He's a great guitarist but not my style"
davester1234

the fact of the matter is, guitar music in general is something that is tough for a lot of people to relate to.

Satriani not being someone's style might well represent the persons lack of ability to identify with guitar music in general, than Satch's actual stuff.

There just waiting for the singing!
The Prez

Well yeah, one time I gave out a cd, they returened it, saying it was broke because there were no lyrics on it.
BlackDragon480
Newcomer

The Prez wrote:Well yeah, one time I gave out a cd, they returened it, saying it was broke because there were no lyrics on it.
I've had the same experience trying to get people to listen to guys like Vai, James Byrd, and many others. I can understand where they're coming from though, in today's society people are brought up listening to the radio and as such many (at least in my experience) have trouble enjoying or relating to music without lyrics to guide them through the experience.

However I have always felt that in the hands of a great composer and/or player pure instrumental music can convey more emotion and tell a better story than all but the best songs. But we can't change how someone feels and what they're musical tastes are (on a macro scale, you can certainly lean them to particular pieces or artists if they are so inclined, but you can't change their overall musical outlook) only try and broaden their horizons a bit.
shader

Who cares? theres nothign wrong with somebody if they don't appreciate insturmental guitar rock.