How to turn people onto Vai?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
The Prez

I've lent various Satch and Vai albums out, I hate lending cd's out but I always feel i need to let the world hear something special. Mostly people think it's junk, but i've got a few people who said it was alright. I try to let them hear the most popular recordings first. In a way though, it's good there not ultra famous, because if they were they'd be pressured to make the cookie cutter format f/m stations demand. i think it's a crime in itself that there's only 3 leadeing superpowers in the record business. Yeah I lend satch out more though, cause he's more mainstream in my opinion. It's really hard, any sugeestions?
davester1234

In this world, forest burns, children cry, and people are hungry. :(

Not to sound too dramatic, but a tragedy of the same proportion is that kids these days believe that the only music that's good is the stuff you hear on mtv: the stuff pop culture feeds them. While pop culture is nice, people are too wrapped up in how firm a pair of tits are, or how sexy someones five o'clock shadow is...musical jewels hidden in the dirt are never found. Worse off, no one cares.

My friend, I'll tell you this...they have to realize it on there own. There's simply no way.

I remember the day my girfriend finally understood what Steve Vai was about. That was some time ago now....quite a few years. she's now as big a fan as I am. She has her own copy's of quite a few albums. When she realized there was magic outside the box she knew, she learned to open her eye to something different. When she got it, she got it GOOD too. :)

No you can't have her :wink:
The Prez

davester1234, i know what you mean. Many a time people complain to me about it having no lyrics, while there listining to incredible guitar work they complain! The only real person I turned on was a friend of mine Heather, and it wasn't Vai but Satriani.
jmchambers5

I dont think there really is a way to turn people on to Vai. Vai is fairly extreme stuff, and i think you pretty much like it or you dont. I like it, My friend Nate doesn't. I lent him a copy of Flex-able, after having given him the ultra zone, and apparently from the time he heard Little Green Men he has been a not Vai fan. The thing about Nate though, is he's not a little pop kid that only likes backstreet boys and whoever else is cool. He has great taste in music, and he's a very deep musician. He's majoring in Jazz guitar at USC, and has incredibly diverse musical taste. I guess what i'm saying is that just because someone doesnt like Vai, that doesnt mean they're little pop culture primadonnas, although that very well might be the case. Some people just dont like Vai, and have good reasons for it. So, i guess my advice is dont let people hear Flex-able first. :wink:
lydian7

Play them 'Blood & Tears'. Everybody seems to like that track! 8)
davester1234

jmchambers5 wrote: I guess what i'm saying is that just because someone doesnt like Vai, that doesnt mean they're little pop culture primadonnas, although that very well might be the case. Some people just dont like Vai, and have good reasons for it. So, i guess my advice is dont let people hear Flex-able first. :wink:
Sure, not everyone is going to like everything :)

I was refering specifically to why we don't see Vai on MTV anymore.

MTV is essentially pop culture, and vai doesn't fit into mainstream 'coolness'. Perhaps if he started rapping AND soloing, he'd have it made!! :shock:

But yeah, you're right, criticizing someone for not liking guitar music isn't fair. Criticising because someone won't listen to anything unless its on TRL is a different ballgame. That's the tragedy.
jmchambers5

davester1234 wrote: criticizing someone for not liking guitar music isn't fair. Criticising because someone won't listen to anything unless its on TRL is a different ballgame. That's the tragedy.
i agree wholeheartedly, well said Dave
The Prez

jmchambers5 wrote:I dont think there really is a way to turn people on to Vai. Vai is fairly extreme stuff, and i think you pretty much like it or you dont. I like it, My friend Nate doesn't. I lent him a copy of Flex-able, after having given him the ultra zone, and apparently from the time he heard Little Green Men he has been a not Vai fan. The thing about Nate though, is he's not a little pop kid that only likes backstreet boys and whoever else is cool. He has great taste in music, and he's a very deep musician. He's majoring in Jazz guitar at USC, and has incredibly diverse musical taste. I guess what i'm saying is that just because someone doesnt like Vai, that doesnt mean they're little pop culture primadonnas, although that very well might be the case. Some people just dont like Vai, and have good reasons for it. So, i guess my advice is dont let people hear Flex-able first. :wink:

Yeah, Vai is a very aquired musicical taste, it's not something to give unless your into that style, that's why i use Eric Johnson or Satriani for people to listen to first.
Ekim

Yeah, Eric Johnson & Satch are more mainstream, but make a mixed CD with either ballads or the heavy stuffis. That might work to turn folks into new fans.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I only got into the Dregs at first cuz of Rod Morgenstein. You know, the drummer from Winger?
Oliver_Reed

Yankee Rose did it for me.

Then Eat 'em and Smile/Skyscraper.

Then P&W.

After that - I was a junkie.

But in the nicest way of course.

Ollie.
The Prez

I myself was into Satch a long tiime before Vai, I heard of Vai through Guiatr amgs and interviews, I was already acquainted with satch's style so geting into vai was easy.
lucky7

I found a lot of friends are influenced by their guitar teachers.
A few friends aren't great fans of Vai but through their guitar teachers they actually learnt quite a few songs.
Another way is to play C.D'S and Videos/DVD's in front of friends until it drives them crazy.
I did this and found guys loved it but girls couldn't get over his dress sense. For example The Alien Love Secrets video.
8)
lydian7

The Prez wrote:I myself was into Satch a long tiime before Vai, I heard of Vai through Guiatr amgs and interviews, I was already acquainted with satch's style so geting into vai was easy.
I was first introduced to Satch and instrumental guitar music through my guitar teacher too! He showed me "Midnight" by Joe satriani, and it was excatly what I had been looking for all my life! Painting pictures and sonic landscapes through music. Just beautiful!

Same here! I was into satch at first, I got into him right after his "Joe Satriani" album. I got that first, then I bought "flying in a blue dream"? :roll: (bad second choice, but I still love it!) Then I bought, umm...Surfing with the alien, then I bought extremist.

I remember hearing about vai for the first time promoting "Alien love secrets". The magazine was praising him (for a change!) for having a phenomemal technique and the like, so I bought "Alien love secrets", which I loved! Next was "Passion & warfare" (though it took me a while to love that one, but now I love it of course!), Then I was actually a Vai in time for the "Fire Garden" c.d!! Fire garden was, and has continued to be, my best loved Vai album. Just a complete explosion of his intense imagination, thespianism, and humour!... Complete genius!!

...but I'm sure he can do much better, hehe. Don't make him TOO big headed! :wink:
Last edited by lydian7 on Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew J Dampier

Take em' to a live show.

IMO, though, the people who *should* be fans will become fans. The ones to respect and cherrish Vai's work are the ones who *should* do it, the ones who matter, not the countless others who are there to jump on bandwagons.

I feel the same way when people say how Layne Staley was disrespected because there was hardly a blip on the radar during his death. IMO, he'll be remembered by the people it matters to most, the true fans.
The Prez

lydian7 wrote:
The Prez wrote:
...but I'm sure he can do much better, hehe. Don't make him TOO big headed! :wink:

Flying in a blue dream is one of my fav's, don't diss it. J/k. It is one of my favorite albums. The Live in G3 tour dvd is what turns people onto satch the most. ANyone watching that can't deny he's a good guitarist!