Building the Church G3 Tokyo Question

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Splish

ZOMFG Vai himself!!!

haha don't worry we will :P ... after i master the intro :oops:

Splish
al

Steve Himself wrote:If truth be told, when the hammer section is performed live I alter the left hand movement in a few bars because it was more reliable to play that way. Although the recorded version is possible It is difficult to get perfect everytime so I went for consistency.
Yes, I cheated a little, but I expect you to play it like the record!
s
:lol: I like that line....

You're a great guy Stevie
quebec
Newcomer

HA cool! I doubted about this also. Could M. Vai cheat!? Apparently he does! :wink:
No seriously, the recorded version is a left hand killer... (basing myself on the great Bakerman, pdf tab) so we forgive you! ha ha :lol:

By the way, the recorded version of Building The Church is, for me, a true inspiration for sonic explorations with the guitar. There's so much different textures of sounds, beyond surreal futuristic guitar tones, stunning harmonies, crazy rythms stunts and harmonics. This piece really gives me a vision of the future of guitar possibilities. Bravo! Merci!

*I'd like to add a comment/question in the same perspective: The guitar tone you get in both Midway Creatures and in Perineum by John 5 are as much striking to me.

For Midway creatures I know:
"The main solo guitar was the Jem77FP floral with a Roland guitar synth pickup on it. The guitar pickup was processed through a Legacy amp and the midi information was captured with the Roland guitar synth. I then used a Korg Triton for some sounds and mixed the guitar signal in with the samples. That’s why the solo has that surreal type guitar and synth sound."

But for Perineum, it's a mystery. I feel there might be the Fernandez sustainer in use to get this much sustain. But there's a quality this tone (basically my dream tone) I can't capture.

Anyway, I got a bit out subject here.
Bravo for everything!
I hope to catch you on the ZPZ montreal show (I'll try to find a ticket outside just before the show, since it was already sold-out...)

- Éric
Petie

Steve Himself wrote:If truth be told, when the hammer section is performed live I alter the left hand movement in a few bars because it was more reliable to play that way. Although the recorded version is possible It is difficult to get perfect everytime so I went for consistency.
s
You should do Steve Vai's 10 hour guitar workout. I'll mail you my copy of Gutar World. 8)

Incidentally I created my own version of the 10 hour guitar workout last week when it took me 10 hours to work out where I'd left the key for my guitar case.
Last edited by Petie on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axe Strangler
Newcomer

anybody know the whole song?
Petie

Axe Strangler wrote:anybody know the whole song?
Yep, but I can't seem to remember the tapping section after the guitar solo. I learn it and it sort of fizzles out again after a few weeks.
prman

Has anyone else noticed how Steve`s sound changes after the first four bars of the solo? Might there be some kind of studio overdub in question?
StoleN GuitaR

prman wrote:Has anyone else noticed how Steve`s sound changes after the first four bars of the solo? Might there be some kind of studio overdub in question?
Perhaps he just changes pickups.. lol..
prman

No. It`s not stomping on pedal or flicking the switch. Check it out yourself. It`s the first four bars and after that there`s a notable change in sound.
Splish

I just briefly listened :? somebody could post a time, would help =]

Splish
prman

You don`t need the time. When Steve starts his solo (the actual solo comes before the tapping part in the middle of the song), his sound is different the first four bars than the rest of the solo. I think he might have fixed the start of the solo in the studio.
matsimpson

s
Il post the recording (for my GSCE music course) when I'm done ;)
Thanks Steve!
b2

Hmmm how was it again...

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy went...
"Wee wee wee" all the way home...

No.. thats to hard for me, all my little piggies only want to
go "wee wee wee" :D

Or should I say:
- I play it!? It was not me who composed it!
Play it yourself!

:mrgreen:
Splish

wtf?
fiddlemord

b2 wrote:Hmmm how was it again...

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy went...
"Wee wee wee" all the way home...

No.. thats to hard for me, all my little piggies only want to
go "wee wee wee" :D

Or should I say:
- I play it!? It was not me who composed it!
Play it yourself!

:mrgreen:
Drugs or mushrooms?