Building the Church G3 Tokyo Question

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
matsimpson

hi, ive watched the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD, and in the Building the Church tapping solo, he seems to do it differently than the tabs I've found; in the crazy bits where you have to move your left hand up and down the neck - especially at the part where it should be on the lower frets - he seems to do something different. Is this a different fingering of the same note, or is it because it is too hard to play live and he had to work on it hugely in the studio? did anyone else notice this?
slash89

He plays a lot of stuff live that's harder than this tapping lick. This is easy once you get a hang of it. The reason why it may sound a bit different is because he's improvising. He knows what notes he can play, and that makes it easy for him to be creative on stage as well.
matsimpson

surely you cant improvise THAT, especially when he's got the keyboard playing the original thing behind him.i was just wondering, and i can sympathise cus the actual record version is too crazy!
IanIfYouPlease
Newcomer

He's playing all the right notes, except he doesn't move his left hand up and down the neck as you describe, because it's really not all that necessary. I've figured out a lot of my own variations on what the tab says where it's on the lower frets, and it sounds just as good, but without all the effort of moving your hand around. Plus, he locks his left hand ring and pinky finger around the neck for control, (and to dampen the strings) which makes it harder to do all the movement. I wouldn't really know why he does what he does, but hey, it sounds good doesn't it? Try watching where he positions his hands in those parts and then experiment where you think it sounds like it.
Dragonfly777

I'm pretty sure the tab you have is just wrong.
eareshel

I noticed that to. i know that lick, and i am sure that i have the right tab. Vai is on the main figure. but he doesnt play the variation. i found that strange to!
Its the 4rth figure of the solo!
matsimpson

Dragonfly777 wrote:I'm pretty sure the tab you have is just wrong.
but its on more than one version!
Dragonfly777

matsimpson

Dragonfly777 wrote:http://www.tabopolis.com/gettab.php/16175
well try this one
yeah i already had that one.in the second section of the solo, which is when he moves his left hand around alot. thats the bit thats different.
stratocastermaster

I'd wager to say Steve probably has it right :wink:
Bakerman

He did simplify it live so the L.H. stays on a pair of notes in most of the measures where there were position shifts to other notes on the album.
Xelatunes
Newcomer

Here's how he did it in L.A. :twisted: :wink:

IanIfYouPlease
Newcomer

Oh that pic helps so much! I know how he did it exactly now! Haha but really, nice picture ^^.
Splish

Is it me, or is the intro different too?! :?

Splish
Steve Himself
VIP
VIP

If truth be told, when the hammer section is performed live I alter the left hand movement in a few bars because it was more reliable to play that way. Although the recorded version is possible It is difficult to get perfect everytime so I went for consistency.
Yes, I cheated a little, but I expect you to play it like the record!
s